2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Still Here, Somehow.

St.Jude

Not related to this, but I’m sat outside the tyre place to get the puncture fixed. And there’s some total jackass in a K11 Micra doing burnouts up and down the road.

Like he’s revving the bollocks off of it, you can hear a bit of tyre squeal, but there is nothing glorious or incredible about it. It’s fucking daft.

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

Yes the Jack's on all these are pretty pants. I've got a big bottle-jack I keep in mine. At least you could get the wheel-nuts undone - another common issue.

The DeWank gun I have, with the 5Ah battery, actually moves things now. Plus it helps that the rears would’ve been off recently for the suspension stuff!

Had the place swap the front tyres around, all tyres at 32 - still pulling. Oh well!

have you done a check on the chassis?? possible damage from previous owners??? or check rear wheels are same distance from front wheels...possibly used orf road and had a disagreement with a tree or rock!!!

4 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

have you done a check on the chassis?? possible damage from previous owners??? or check rear wheels are same distance from front wheels...possibly used orf road and had a disagreement with a tree or rock!!!

No not done that. To be honest this is all shit the next owner can look in to. I've done my bit.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a few weeks since I last posted about this.

It’s been driving me to and from work. It’s swallowed a few things for me for the tip. The suspension has behaved itself - as in Ive not had to make it go up/down just to stop it bouncing. So far so good!

And it’s with that thumbs up I’m going to say that on Tuesday it’s going up on AutoTrader.

I have no confidence with it really. As it’s gotten colder you notice the injectors a bit more, and I’ve second/third guessed myself so much that while I know they’re alright (as they were done a year ago and haven’t done enough miles to be a problem) it’s nagging me. I’m going away tomorrow for a few nights to Clevedon and I’ve opted to go in the wife’s Merc because I just done have the confidence in it.

So yeah, hopefully Tuesday the phone will be ringing off the hook with offers. Good offers. Not pikey or chancer offers.

16 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I've heard he has unfinished business with a Toyota RAV4. Ideal replacement? 

😉😂

HA! No. Although to be honest I was behind one the other day and I told the wife I missed having a 3 door 4x4, as it had all the benefits of a 4x4 but with none of the size. It's just not practical for me now, and I'm done with both Toyota and 4x4s for the moment.

Answering @dave j, the shortlist is:

• BMW 5 Series Estate
  • Rover 75 Tourer/MG ZT-T
  • Land Rover Freelander Mk 1
  • Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner

Yes yes I did say I was done with 4x4s but I'd be more inclined for a Land Rover given the shit I've had with two Toyota 4x4s.

Wife's choice is the 5 Series because she's a badge snob. I think realistically I'm leaning towards a Berlingo as it's kind of like a van and I get the feeling that it likes being abused. It's not highly strung. And while the Peugeot 3008 was a hateful POS, I've fond memories of that thing gliding up a steep hill in 5th with 5 adults in it. The Berlingo will have the same engine near enough.

But whatever it is, the Land Cruiser has to go first and the Rover needs to be sorted out.

8 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Other than a bit of rust on the sills sometimes you can't really go wrong with a Berlingo. Best to get a mk1 with a 2.0HDi.

Literally all the car/van anyone needs.

Blingos are amazing. Should have bought another one. Second getting the HDi, usefully powerful and torquey. The NA ones need a bit of winding up to get going but the HDi is good to go.

11 hours ago, St.Jude said:

HA! No. Although to be honest I was behind one the other day and I told the wife I missed having a 3 door 4x4, as it had all the benefits of a 4x4 but with none of the size. It's just not practical for me now, and I'm done with both Toyota and 4x4s for the moment.

Answering @dave j, the shortlist is:

• BMW 5 Series Estate
  • Rover 75 Tourer/MG ZT-T
  • Land Rover Freelander Mk 1
  • Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner

Yes yes I did say I was done with 4x4s but I'd be more inclined for a Land Rover given the shit I've had with two Toyota 4x4s.

Wife's choice is the 5 Series because she's a badge snob. I think realistically I'm leaning towards a Berlingo as it's kind of like a van and I get the feeling that it likes being abused. It's not highly strung. And while the Peugeot 3008 was a hateful POS, I've fond memories of that thing gliding up a steep hill in 5th with 5 adults in it. The Berlingo will have the same engine near enough.

But whatever it is, the Land Cruiser has to go first and the Rover needs to be sorted out.

Toyota LC - If you step backwards in time - the 80-Series are very good and simpler - but very many have now had a very hard life and are knackered. Though the occasional good one does turn up.

I have a 60-Series - these are very 'agricultural'.  Very little on them to go wrong - solid axles and cart springs back and front. Good fun. And they drive surprisingly well - but more like a vintage car than any modern. Rust is the problem. That's about all. Parts are easy. Beautifully made - some wearing parts are even made of bronze. 

Good luck with your sale - let us know how it goes. I would not want to be without a 4x4 in my life whatever it is. Just too useful.

23 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Toyota LC - If you step backwards in time - the 80-Series are very good and simpler - but very many have now had a very hard life and are knackered. Though the occasional good one does turn up.

I have a 60-Series - these are very 'agricultural'.  Very little on them to go wrong - solid axles and cart springs back and front. Good fun. And they drive surprisingly well - but more like a vintage car than any modern. Rust is the problem. That's about all. Parts are easy. Beautifully made - some wearing parts are even made of bronze. 

Good luck with your sale - let us know how it goes. I would not want to be without a 4x4 in my life whatever it is. Just too useful.

Yeah I'm not done completely with Land Cruisers. I am going to get a 100 Series (the big Amazon one) but that'll be bought as a project. I'll hopefully get that once the Lada is on the road and I'm using it.

With the Berlingos, I had the 1.6 HDi on the 3008 and never thought it was underpowered or anything. But then again the 3008 had a 6 speed box so it felt like a train pulling. I think the 1.9 Turbo Diesel is the same engine that I had on my 306 when it was my first car. But I'd be doing myself a favour buying the 2.0 engine I think. What's incredible, and slightly frustrating, is that hardly any of the ones for sale has air conditioning on it. Which makes me think that with the windows open it's not too hellish in the summer, but I just find it odd. What's odder though is that when I do find one with air con it comes with the big wheelchair slide stuff at the back!

2 minutes ago, RichardK said:

This. While they are lovely, they're not exactly tough 4x4s or very reliable 😕

I know.

But think about it. Land Cruiser's are supposed to be the best 4x4 and I ended up with this hateful thing. It can't be any worse!!!

6 minutes ago, RichardK said:

This. While they are lovely, they're not exactly tough 4x4s or very reliable 😕

I would say they're pretty good by 25 year old 4x4 standards. They're very popular with Welsh hill farmers, presumably because they're cheap and also because said farmers are  often quite elderly and short in stature, so climbing in and out of a 'proper' 4x4 is a bit of a struggle. I think the mk2 version is probably a better bet these days though, because most hippos are very old now and probably well past their best. Having said that I prefer the styling of the original model and also quite liked the L Series diesel engined version. 

For what they are, they were pretty good when new(ish) but they are all old and worn out now. The cost of keeping the whole drivetrain working correctly will far exceed the value of the vehicle. That’s  why many have the rear prop shaft removed “for economy’ mate. And that’s before you get into rust and all the other fragile bits and pieces. A Freelander 2 is a much better bet, but they’re getting older now as well.

1 hour ago, warch said:

I would say they're pretty good by 25 year old 4x4 standards. They're very popular with Welsh hill farmers, presumably because they're cheap and also because said farmers are  often quite elderly and short in stature, so climbing in and out of a 'proper' 4x4 is a bit of a struggle. I think the mk2 version is probably a better bet these days though, because most hippos are very old now and probably well past their best. Having said that I prefer the styling of the original model and also quite liked the L Series diesel engined version. 

1 hour ago, Jenson Velcro said:

For what they are, they were pretty good when new(ish) but they are all old and worn out now. The cost of keeping the whole drivetrain working correctly will far exceed the value of the vehicle. That’s  why many have the rear prop shaft removed “for economy’ mate. And that’s before you get into rust and all the other fragile bits and pieces. A Freelander 2 is a much better bet, but they’re getting older now as well.

It is just the shape thing. I think the F2's are quite forgettable in some respects. The shape of the older ones I think are nicer.

Like I said I'm not inclined to get another 4x4. I just thought that while I'm in the market for one, and I think a good one turns up, I would consider it.

But all that's happened really is that I'm on YouTube watching videos of Citroen Berlingos...

Air conditioning is indeed a stupidly rare option on the Berlingo/Partner.  Can't for the life of me remember where, but I'm sure I saw something stating that it was something ridiculous like 1 car in 200 that had it specified in the UK market.  I can't vouch for the validity of this, but I definitely read it somewhere.

One of the reasons I was doubly glad to have bagged our one when I did as it's very much a high priority bit of spec as far as I'm concerned.

The 1.6HDi in mine is the 16V variant and it goes astonishingly well if you put your foot down for this type of vehicle, the low to mid range torque available really does mean you seldom need to consider ever going above 3000rpm.  Though the 16V version of this engine does have some pitfalls in terms of long term reliability, especially if neglected, they're pretty well documented and having seen some of the common issues some of the competition seem to have don't sound all that scary.

On 10/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, St.Jude said:

I’m going away tomorrow for a few nights to Clevedon

Traffic is terrible around here at the moment today. It hasn't broken down again has it? 🤔(😆)

(I thought it had going by the thread title)

I'll give a wave if I see you about.

8 minutes ago, SiC said:

Funnily enough my neighbour sold his Land Cruiser today (replaced with a Skoda Superb). Chap turned up, didn't even bother checking and test driving it before handing over the cash. It's next journey is off to the Congo! I can ask him for the chaps details if you're interested...

They sell very, VERY easily for that reason. Export.

I do hope whatever is being asked for this one has had a good wedge of Land Cruiser tax added on top, because it WILL 100% sell. Probably within 48hrs, to someone that rocks up with a low loader and will take it away, no questions asked, payment in full.

I've seen absolutely fucked, needing welded, MOT'less examples go for some seriously insane money.

15 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Air conditioning is indeed a stupidly rare option on the Berlingo/Partner.  Can't for the life of me remember where, but I'm sure I saw something stating that it was something ridiculous like 1 car in 200 that had it specified in the UK market.  I can't vouch for the validity of this, but I definitely read it somewhere.

One of the reasons I was doubly glad to have bagged our one when I did as it's very much a high priority bit of spec as far as I'm concerned.

The 1.6HDi in mine is the 16V variant and it goes astonishingly well if you put your foot down for this type of vehicle, the low to mid range torque available really does mean you seldom need to consider ever going above 3000rpm.  Though the 16V version of this engine does have some pitfalls in terms of long term reliability, especially if neglected, they're pretty well documented and having seen some of the common issues some of the competition seem to have don't sound all that scary.

Yeah it’s so strange. It’s not even enough to look at the trim level it has and expect it to have air con. You’d imagine that if it had the modutop stuff, with the glass panels in the roof, it’d have air con - but no. I could not imagine the hell those cars can be in the summer like what we had last year.

My 3008 had the 16v 1.6 HDi and I thought it was the best thing about the car. I wouldn’t mind getting another 1.6 but I think I’d be going for the 2.0.

14 hours ago, SiC said:

Traffic is terrible around here at the moment today. It hasn't broken down again has it? 🤔(😆)

(I thought it had going by the thread title)

I'll give a wave if I see you about.

Left it at home and used the wife’s car instead!

12 hours ago, SiC said:

Funnily enough my neighbour sold his Land Cruiser today (replaced with a Skoda Superb). Chap turned up, didn't even bother checking and test driving it before handing over the cash. It's next journey is off to the Congo! I can ask him for the chaps details if you're interested...

I may take you up on it. The plan is to stick it on AutoTrader for the proper money they all go for. With all the niggles and problems I’ve had it’s worth the money to someone who no doubt will have no problems with it. 

If it doesn’t go on AT then it’s eBay, then the man from the Congo.

3 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Yeah it’s so strange. It’s not even enough to look at the trim level it has and expect it to have air con. You’d imagine that if it had the modutop stuff, with the glass panels in the roof, it’d have air con - but no. I could not imagine the hell those cars can be in the summer like what we had last year.

Those are hot in the summer and chilly in the winter with that roof. Ours was the paltry 8V 90 BHP job  on a 57 plate and it went well enough and was simple to maintain - cambelt was a squeeze down the side of the wheel arch. Later models have more space.
There's also 8V 110BHP floating around. They can all be remapped if you're into that but I was happy enough with the 'Lingo as it was - decent mpg too and the ability to carry tons of crap to the tip 'cos its 'not a van m8'.

2.0 litre must fly in comparison - they got a DMF or not though?

18 minutes ago, loserone said:

With a HDI tuning remap, yes.

Don't believe so 

No DMF = good.
HDI tuning remap? Errrr (looks out window) - two of those out front this morning and I can highly recommend both  (1.6 HDi and the 2.2 Puma/Pug thing). Just never got around to it on the Berlingo

14 hours ago, SiC said:

Nothing to do with anything but I sold my Starlink kit very easily to a guy who came and handed over cash. His side hustle was shipping Starlinks out to Zimbabwe. 

I hope someone comes through with some wallet-busting cash for @St.Jude

On 10/6/2023 at 9:00 AM, St.Jude said:

Yeah I'm not done completely with Land Cruisers. I am going to get a 100 Series (the big Amazon one) but that'll be bought as a project. I'll hopefully get that once the Lada is on the road and I'm using it.

With the Berlingos, I had the 1.6 HDi on the 3008 and never thought it was underpowered or anything. But then again the 3008 had a 6 speed box so it felt like a train pulling. I think the 1.9 Turbo Diesel is the same engine that I had on my 306 when it was my first car. But I'd be doing myself a favour buying the 2.0 engine I think. What's incredible, and slightly frustrating, is that hardly any of the ones for sale has air conditioning on it. Which makes me think that with the windows open it's not too hellish in the summer, but I just find it odd. What's odder though is that when I do find one with air con it comes with the big wheelchair slide stuff at the back!

Our friends are on their third Berlingo, a 62 reg 2nd gen. They've had it for over four years now. A while back, we were talking about aircon in cars and they said theirs hadn't got it. Seemed a bit odd as it'd got alloys and posh seats etc. Had a look at the heater controls and there was a snowflake button! 

On 9/19/2023 at 7:10 PM, Dobloseven said: