The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

26 minutes ago, chancer said:

Well, thanks to this I can now understand why I have been ill for the last 24hrs! We had one growning up the driveway that fell over, so I lifted it and put it on compost heap. Obvs never realised it was toxic. Last night I was so ill I was ready for heading to hospital. Still ropey today, hopefully get back to work tomorrow. Mother Nature is a bitch

Often written into a Miss Marple script.   Digitalis purpurea 

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2020/07/uk-poisonous-plants/#:~:text=Foxglove plants contain toxic cardiac,headache%2C skin irritation and diarrhoea.

Not a great thing to make herbal tea out of.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1415814/

51 minutes ago, sims00 said:

Ancient but cool Sony system removed for a fairly modern touch screen pioneer for the Avensis. Has Bluetooth for calls and music which is what I care about.

image.jpg

Was it the Sony cassette and CD unit that's got the purpleish front? If it works, colour me interested. :)

Looking at some job adverts, pondering a move, one has "£4k car allowance" even though there's no driving as part of the role... interesting! Wonder if they'd let me fund something ULEZ compliant on a pretext... would need to find the most AS-friendly ULEZ-compliant thing on the market....

Don't know what's going on here. I managed to almost surreptitiously snap this today. 

IMG_20220613_121021_edit_576333079078723.thumb.jpg.a9dc6347ebcae48261ab6059c6d59d6d.jpg

A Fiat 500 you say. But those are Triumph Stag/2500S alloys. They're not just similar, they are identical. 

Triumph_2500_PI_Mk2_in_Morges_2013_-_Left.thumb.jpg.31f7d3e72e01e1bfea7ccedf141aed5d.jpg

british-v8-org-aj.jpg.ba7ed1f61c097c105b2304a748e5f30f.jpg

But the PCD isn't anywhere near the same. The Fiat is 4x98 and the Triumph 4x114. So if you were really keen you could fill the original holes and re drill them. Except, on both cars the wheel nuts appear to be central in the inner black circle. If you redrilled them to 4x98 surely the wheel nuts would be practically touching the centre cap.

I wonder if the same design was used on an old Italian car. The Triumphs are a Michelotti design, maybe he designed the wheels as well and so felt he could use them again on something else.

It's got me stumped. They do look good though. 

1 hour ago, N19 said:

Looking at some job adverts, pondering a move, one has "£4k car allowance" even though there's no driving as part of the role... interesting! Wonder if they'd let me fund something ULEZ compliant on a pretext... would need to find the most AS-friendly ULEZ-compliant thing on the market....

I think my Saab 9-5 is ULEZ friendly. At least it seems to be able to drive most places without incurring a charge (eg Birmingham centre). I don't know why or how, as it's an old automatic barge but I did notice it's got two cats. 

IMAG2129.jpg

13 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

Pics of the Innocenti please fella - how's it holding up?

Initial checkover before MoT showing anything obvious?

I've spent quite a lot of money doing the obvious MOT fails.  It's had a new front subframe, new exhaust centre section, new brake master cylinder, new front calipers and pads, new offside headlight lens, two new headlight mounting brackets, new offside door mirror, new tyre on the back and probably other shiz as well.

It's almost certainly going to need new suspension bushes though, the brakes may be out of balance, I can't get the main beam telltale to work and there will probably be other bits needing doing as befits an obscure nearly-30-year-old Italian shopping car that hasn't been on the road for several years.

The 75s oil level was back down to full again last night after having sat a couple of days. Who knows?!

Anyway, I started laying the groundworks for the Bosch CP1 repair last night. The work area is meant to be clinically clean but I couldn't do too much as there's meant to be a chap coming to mine this week for a service on his 75 so the work area would get dirty again.

The first thing I did was see if I could crack off the torx  screws on one of the cylinder heads. For anyone doing this job, you absolutely need a bench vice and a breaker bar as they will be extremely tight. After a bit of foutering around I got 4 cracked no bother so I can get on with the rest of the job now I know the first hurdle is cleared.

You will also need a small pick to retrieve some of the very small O rings in the pump. I had an old screwdriver that I had sawn half of it off to make a glovebox hinge pin for someone however I knew the other half would come in handy. I filed the end down to make one -glad I'm a bit of a hoarder!

It's straightforward but time consuming job so it will probably take me quite a few evenings.

Had the Scirocco a couple of days now and kind of wished I’d done it sooner. 

Not a car I’d ever considered, never really stood out as a car I particularly liked. After all the issues selling the T4 it’s genuinely put me off changing cars so buying something normal and simple was on the cards.

Ticking all the boxes so far, very economical, nippy, nice place to be and a cracking stereo. 

FEE3C9D4-E5AE-4A07-9120-47CC748A0EEF.jpeg

1F105D1D-5859-4FC0-AF28-68201FF8798D.jpeg

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Not a car I’d ever considered, never really stood out as a car I particularly liked. After all the issues selling the T4 it’s genuinely put me off changing cars so buying something normal and simple was on the cards.

Ticking all the boxes so far, very economical, nippy, nice place to be and a cracking stereo. 

I used to like seeing them on the road... Came across as typical boring vag to me but look very smart, especially in the right colour. 

Couldn't say when I last saw one, either their all dead already or blend in so well I just don't notice in my subconscious 😄

21 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I used to like seeing them on the road... Came across as typical boring vag to me but look very smart, especially in the right colour. 

Couldn't say when I last saw one, either their all dead already or blend in so well I just don't notice in my subconscious 😄

I think they just blend in! It’s basically a Golf coupe so generally typically reliable boring VAG stuff!

25 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Was about to say similar - don't see them at all really around here....... not sure if that is company car rules meaning they aren't on the options or if the locals stick to the Golfs they know and love* - Have to admit that the shape and design are growing on me...... no sodding clue what they are like to drive though so may be a disappointment in store.

3 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Out of interest - did you sell your T4 to a guy from St Neots?  There was a short nose white one with gingercators being loaded onto a recovery truck last night as I was driving home!  Made me think of you.

3 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

Was about to say similar - don't see them at all really around here....... not sure if that is company car rules meaning they aren't on the options or if the locals stick to the Golfs they know and love* - Have to admit that the shape and design are growing on me...... no sodding clue what they are like to drive though so may be a disappointment in store.

That's when I saw the most, there were 4 in my car park alone 😅

Remember when it was 5 series dervs for a spell too. Seems to be very vag based now