Dollywobbler's Dead Rover 600 - Replacement sorted

dollywobbler

As some of you will know, I've had a 600 craving for quite a while now. I tried buying one back in 2014, but actually encountered a car that was so bad, I turned it down. I'll recount the tale.

I'd sold the Maestro van, and offered to deliver it to Birmingham International. That's because I'd spied a 600 diesel for sale in Coventry. Truly, this was perfection, described as full MOT etc, etc. I went to view it before I parted company with the van. I'm glad I did.

The place I pulled up to was one of those truly awful garage/trade sales places, where the building barely seems to be standing. Worse, the car was not even there. It was in their storage yard. I began to worry even more. We went over in my van. It wouldn't start. We went back to the garage and grabbed the shittest pair of jump leads I've ever seen in my life. Somehow, we coaxed enough electricity down their ruined ends to get the thing running. I let the chap drive the van so I could have a first drive of the Rover.

It was quite nice actually, though the brakes were scraping with rust and it had clearly been sitting for ages. So much for full MOT. Nonetheless, I checked it over and risked a photo.

img-20140722-00292.jpg

At this point, the manager turned up and I was able to have a 'word' about the car. He was bald, and insisted on wearing sunglasses even indoors. He was quite aggressive, but I think he said that the car would be MOTd for sale. Not ideal, as I needed to drive home in it that day. I quickly hopped back in the van and drove away to a friend's house, where I found a car on Facebook to buy instead (the white Rover 400).

A few months later, I revisited my dreams and ended up getting sidetracked by XMs for 18 months. Clearly, buying a Rover 600 after the XM would have been foolish. Instead, I bought lots of cars with utterly shit suspension instead, so I could recalibrate my spine. I reckon I'm now ready to buy.

So, I started scouting about. I'd really like one in a pretty colour. To my mind, this is one of the most attractive saloons there has ever been - all the more remarkable when you consider how dumpy and plain the Accord that it's based on is. Bargains seem to be everywhere, and metallic blue really is the colour to have.

Like this. What a beauty! Bidding at just £150.

s-l1600.jpg

Shame about the thump up the arse. Bumper only damage? I think not... I'm ruling it out.

s-l1600.jpg

This one is very attractive too, though they want £995 for it. That seems optimistic to me.

s-l500.jpg

This one is only £200, but is described as "VERY DIRTY". It does have only 47k on it, but Stockport is not a convenient location.

s-l500.jpg

Others are on my list, but I'm not revealing details yet. Suffice it to say, I'm very hopeful that I'll be arriving in London on Friday in my new steed, before heading back home in it on Friday and then heading to France on Wednesday next week. Let's see what occurs!

I think I recognise that sales site on the rover from 2014, if its longford road you had a lucky escape. they've been done so many times for clocking, unroadworthy cars. They used to sell alot on ebay and just kept changing there user name. I went to look at something there once and it was a complete heap with a supposed new mot yet bald tyres and other defects. 

A nice 600 is definitely a good place to be, the one on retro rides looks like it has potential but the lack of mot is a concern.

I'm still surprised that you haven't had one before, even though they are quite "Hondaish" i think they are a nice steed to drive, typically light controls like many Japanese cars and the rear arches do rot out due to a rubber bead that covers the inner lips and traps all the water in. The 623 GSi is a nice and underrated way to travel.

I tried to buy one when I bought my RAV4.

I needed a car, and I sort of knew this Rover 600. I'd eyed it up previously when it was for sale at my local garage and thought it looked pretty tidy from the outside.

It was bought by someone locally, and I passed it on a driveway on my way to work most days. After a few months, it appeared on eBay saying it had been used as a temporary car and was now for sale.

At first, it was listed as a classified and I asked about taking a look. He said he was busy during the week, and was away that weekend. So 'no', basically.

He then relisted it as an auction with a 99p start. I bid, narrowly missed it, and was offered a second chance offer (with minutes of the auction ending, due to be 'messed around' by the winning bidder). I said no thanks, he accused me of timewasting and relisted.

Funny that it was 'sold' several times at auction and was abandoned in his garden for months after. Glad I missed out as it was all a bit fishy but I still quite like them.

So yeah, that's my little Rover 600 story.

Aye. Ti is on my list. Had a chat with the seller and it sounds like the lacquer is ruined. Will be more than an equivalent diesel, cost more to run than an equivalent diesel and be absolutely bloody hilarious I suspect.

That Accord is tempting me in a way that shape of Accord never usually does!

Another Accord, except sportier. It will be much comfier than the equivalent euro Accord.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-2-0i-sr-a-c-Automatic-LS-Green-/142045191266?hash=item21128d9c62:g:HekAAOSwAuNW4~XI

s-l1600.jpg

Much velour as well, it's a veritable sea of grey, but look at the size of that service wallet....

s-l1600.jpg

I was watching one on Ebay at £199 no bids. It now has a bid. Bother. 2.5hrs left. I'm worried people will see the word Superb in the header and assume it actually is superb. As far as I can see, it has 174k on the clock and the offside rearwing has the shittest paint job you'll ever see. I'm not that excited about lobbing bids in. Will see how it goes.

EDIT - beautiful eh?

s-l1600.jpg