Tales from the testing lane.

Barry Cade

Same reason that main beam lamps didn't used to be part of the test- you are looking forwards, so should be able to see if they are on or not!

How long ago was that?  I thought I was an old git, I can remember when windscreen washers first came into it (if your screen didn't fold down or up) and we had to retrofit them to things like A30s.   

My BMW 330 is going in on Friday for a test. Last years advisory was front brake wear but that's now been sorted with new pads/discs last September, also had the control arm bushes replaced as a common failure on these E46's, plus my rather fussy Indy who carried out the work didn't pick up on anything else last September so i'm hoping all is still ok...Not used it much since, maybe 1.5k at the most.

My BMW 330 is going in on Friday for a test. Last years advisory was front brake wear but that's now been sorted with new pads/discs last September, also had the control arm bushes replaced as a common failure on these E46's, plus my rather fussy Indy who carried out the work didn't pick up on anything else last September so i'm hoping all is still ok...Not used it much since, maybe 1.5k at the most.

Check the rear springs- common for breaking and hard to spot,emissions can be dodgy due to crumbly rubber hoses under the bonnet causing air leaks,also handbrakes seem to be troublesome. Good luck!

Check the rear springs- common for breaking and hard to spot,emissions can be dodgy due to crumbly rubber hoses under the bonnet causing air leaks,also handbrakes seem to be troublesome. Good luck!

Ah yes BMW's and Handbrakes, my E39 failed a few years back but mostly because I hardly the HB!! the tester advised I just used it for a week then bring it back for a re-test, low and behold that was enough to clean the caliper and it passed! I now always use the HB on my E46..

Mine has 3 months left but as I want to sell it I am thinking about getting the test done now. Everything that was an advisory last year has been fixed and I can't see anything obvious that would fail.

So that will be a £400 bill then.

May I suggest seeing if you can find a council garage?they have to offer mots, but can't quote for work.

I've used them several times, always a fair assessment in my experience.

At least it'd give you an idea.

Either that, or a trusted garage is your best bet:)

Ah yes BMW's and Handbrakes, my E39 failed a few years back but mostly because I hardly the HB!! the tester advised I just used it for a week then bring it back for a re-test, low and behold that was enough to clean the caliper and it passed! I now always use the HB on my E46..

BMW's have drums inside the discs for the handbrake- common for corroded backplates, lining coming off the shoes and linkages seizing. Don't apply the handbrake while moving as it can cause a little destruction...

P1050613.jpg

BMW's have drums inside the discs for the handbrake- common for corroded backplates, lining coming off the shoes and linkages seizing. Don't apply the handbrake while moving as it can cause a little destruction...

P1050613.jpg

My least favourite bit of any BMW. A bugger to adjust, and usually as Barry Cade points out, rotten to F&^K.

Not to mention proper replacement requires hub removal.. I did the one on the 320- hopefully they last another 25 years.

I had a 330 estate (don't know the e number and dont care ) 2001 which failed on handbrake. Called the customer and he said it's always been Shit and they always are on those. And he had put new discs and shoes on 6 months ago.

I found that the cable was wound right up so I slackened it off and clicked the adjusters in the drum . Back in for retest and it's about twice the efficiency it needs to be.

I think you lose the leverage when the cable is incorrectly adjusted.

Same system on the back of a rover 75. managed to fit new handbrake shoes without removing the hub but they were a bugger to do. Handbrake is still crap, even with new discs, shoes, cable and a new compensator to replace the stretched one. 

I don't mind doing BMW rear brakes, have done a 320d estate and a 325i coop in the last couple of weeks, handbrake cable too on the coop.Never romoved a hub to do them, no idea why you'd have to? ALWAYS take all the adjustment off any handbrake before adjusting the shoes. BMW handbrakes should be very good and lock up easily on the rollers.

I don't mind doing BMW rear brakes, have done a 320d estate and a 325i coop in the last couple of weeks, handbrake cable too on the coop.Never romoved a hub to do them, no idea why you'd have to? ALWAYS take all the adjustment off any handbrake before adjusting the shoes. BMW handbrakes should be very good and lock up easily on the rollers.

Indeed they should- I always back off at the handbrake and adjust from the shoes.. sometimes though the cables stretch and are rusted into the holders above the rear beam.

much funs!

I'd never seen anything to compare to the tyres mentioned back on page 2 of this thread until I walked past a parked Merc A-Class today and noticed that one front tyre was so worn the cords were showing through on the outside edge.  The car had moved when I went back later on so I could see the other side was just as bad.  How on earth can you not notice that?  I thought about leaving a note on the windscreen but I couldn't think of a non-insulting way to word one.

They must be doing some significant miles to eat through a tyre that fast between MOTs - one would assume that if it was an advisory on the last MOT they'd have done something by now.

Fairly quiet with MOT's today- Mazda 2 which failed on a rear wheel bearing, and another pair of badly cracked tyres, showing cords. Toyo's this time. Took a pic, but my phone is SHITE.

Then a 307CC- don't know if I've mentioned this before, but they have huge lumps of metal bolted in the corners just in front of the back bumper, and comedy bracing right along the floor. Love to hear opinions on why....

Phone actually worked for this one.

what about 207cc??

Well here's hoping mine is ok. According to the Service History the rear brakes were replaced for the MOT 2 years ago.

Guest our soul

Hello from a long time lurker. It has taken this subject to spur me into action, as it was always a very sore point that the Ulster car owners had to have an uncivil servant M.O.T. test  their vehicle. Admittedly I haven't lived there for over twenty years, but from what I hear, the government employees are unchanged. My local test centre was diabolical. Six week waits or more were the norm, and treatment by the staff was exactly as you all describe your encounters with government entities in general. My experiences became so bad, I chose to drive twenty five miles further to the next nearest test centre. The overall attitude there was not just as bad as my local place. So overall, eight miles or twenty five, great service, you decide..Ps please excuse the grammar, I am an old fart who rarely needs a keyboard. Thanks to everyone who has kept me amused and informed over the last several years.....You guys on the mainland have no idea how lucky you are regarding the M.O.T. system..............   

Juding by the number of people I see with no lights on at night, I wouldn't be so sure

One of the problems with modern cars (in my not so humble opinion) is this stupid illumination of the gauges/binnacle when the lights are not on.

Then when it's semi-dark, you think you are driving around with your lights on but you're not! :shock:

You guys on the mainland have no idea how lucky you are regarding the M.O.T. system..............   

And you'll realise how much luckier you are than the folks in the UK mainland regarding MOT's, living in Florida, where there are no annual inspections ;)

Just thoght I would throw this in. New Zealand is in the throes of changing fron 6 monthly tests to annual tests. See media and private testing places for reports about how the roads will be full of deathtraps if cars are only tested annually! You will notice that NEW cars are tested when new, and not tested for 3 years Also note there is no emissions test other than smoke, as the govt has decided that emissions tests are a waste of time. We also have very little problems with rust, a 25 year old car is unlikely to have any serious rust issues. Therefore broken springs etc are rare.

Tests are done by a Govt testing agency or licenced garages. Govt testing stations do not make appointments, just get in the queue, and are pretty efficient with staff not trying to sell you anything. I'm sure the Public Service pleasantry can be found, but I have only found that attitude once, and in a Ford Dealer.

Anyhows take a look at the basics.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warrants-certifications/getting-wof/about.html

I woke the audi from its winter hibernation yesterday and spent an hour trying to get the airbag light off. Under seat connectors on both sides were the problem. It's at the tester now so I'll soon find out what else is wrong with it.

I'm going to have to re-think how I store stuff in the shed. What a stinking mess of mildew there was in the Audi.

Get some of those moisture absorption things. I use them in my cars and even in a fairly dry environment it's surprising how much moisture they suck up. Usually one is enough. Just put it in the footwell. Two will be better though as you don't have to empty them as often.

Slimline%20Moisture%20Trap.jpg

One of the problems with modern cars (in my not so humble opinion) is this stupid illumination of the gauges/binnacle when the lights are not on.

Then when it's semi-dark, you think you are driving around with your lights on but you're not! :shock:

LOL! Have you ever tried telling someone driving along that their lights are off? They look at you like your a nutter but I guess they later realise what I was on about!

LOL! Have you ever tried telling someone driving along that their lights are off? They look at you like your a nutter but I guess they later realise what I was on about!

Yeah I've bought that T-shirt before.

They have this urban myth/standard story in the USA that there is a game where a car will deliberately drive around without any lights on - when a good samaritan flashes their lights at them, they turn around and then shoot the driver...

As a result, it's very unusual for anybody to let you know that your bloody lights are not on!!!