Tales from the testing lane.

Barry Cade

Behind the rack,above the subframe and held by 3 8mm nuts which dissolve,and the studs snap. Impossible to get in to drill and retap. The old flange and the new Cat are just too big to go through between the subframe and floor,and need to be "massaged" to get out/in. I ended up having to remove wiper arms, scuttle trim,removable plastic scuttle section,airbox,inlet manifold and heat shields to get the top stud sealed.

The Cat itself was fine, but there is a small flexy section which had failed,and it sits in the worst possible place.

• 7 years later...
1 hour ago, MJK 24 said:

8 years on, what are the frequent and less frequent MOT fails on the UK’s roads today?!

Last month number one, lights followed by suspension then brakes. The less frequent are road wheels and identification. That is a national average.

Yes people present their cars with bulbs out but I see a lot of incorrect projected beam where the headlamp bulb isn't fitted correctly. Quite often "fitted" by Halfords in the town. The indentification will be down to numberplates .The last time I saw a cracked wheel was maybe three years ago on a Mercedes.