Cavalier Capers...the end is coming soon. Sad face.

M'coli

Brilliant stuff...you can't beat a trip round the highlands for chod spotting and for giving yours a run. What a great plucky wee car.

Sorry to hear of your travails its always tough losing your folks. My old boy and I fought like tigers but I miss him like gell and its been 11 years.

I think we should organise an autoshite tour of Scotland sometime. Could be fun.

Epic shite-age there!

I've had a couple of MK2s, first one was a 1984 'A' reg 1600 L hatch in china blue, bought for £850 in 1991, it was my first 'modern' car. got fed up with people asking 'is it a deisel?' so fitted new piston rings, valve stem seals ect. Seem to remember fitting new rear shoes/drums/wheel cylinders as well. Sold it after about a year to a mate for what I paid, after he'd had it a while a rocker arm broke and it dropped a valve, I fitted a new cam kit for him. don't know what happened to it after he sold it, I presume it's lond since been scrapped. I've still got one of the old Sercks No. plates hanging up in the garage as I changed them for plastic ones...

Second one was this...

GreencavMK2.jpg

Another 1600 hatch, a 1985 'C' reg. May have been a GL, I can't remember. Bought for £150 IIRC, in around 2000 when I needed something to run while I did my Carlton pick-up project. The body was more patches 'n' pudding than metal. Replaced the knackered water pump and it proved reliable transport. I hadn't intended to get another MOT on it but the Carlton project took longer than expected so I ended up welding up the rear spring mounts and replacing a rear wheel bearing. I sold it to another mate's next door neighbor for £150 (I think) and it was later "stolen" and found burnt out... :wink:

I can't believe how many times I wrote "stunning" about the trip to Strontian - but it was an amazing afternoon/evening, one of those rare ones in the west of Scotland where the sun is shining and there is magic in the air (rather than water!).

Great writings and photos, your fan switch maladies have reminded me to sort out the fan relays on the 405...

Ardnamurchan and Morvern are lovely, and mercifully quiet even in holiday season. The weather's been fairly un-west Highlands like the few times I've been.

5037154142_8148338b3e_z.jpg

IMGP5364 by zenithfivenine, on Flickr

• 8 months later...

Remember this that I "sorted" in 2007?

6173085859_4190e05e4f.jpg

I went out to throw some paint at it just before lunch on Sunday to "take the bad look off of it" as they say... 45 minutes later it looks like this:

7543801996_e062ea5f96_z.jpg

Just a bit of grot! by dtvacuums, on Flickr

You can see the bit on the door that looks well shonky, but check out the lack of metal on the wheelarch too! I realised that the whole bottom of the arch would have to come off:

7543831736_23c2951f33_z.jpg

More revealed by dtvacuums, on Flickr

Just as I went for lunch I left it like this.

7543829454_556116a43d_z.jpg

Back to good metal by dtvacuums, on Flickr

7543808300_b6432e05ee_z.jpg

A different view by dtvacuums, on Flickr

After some Vactan action, the first zintec plate was offered up:

7543826984_09163948bc_z.jpg

Plating up by dtvacuums, on Flickr

Luckily, 10 years or so ago I bought sills asnd arches for my first Cavalier; the left sill was used on here 5 years ago, and the right arch last year (more of which anon) so the left arch came into play - here it is being offered up so I can create other bespoke repair sections.

7543804464_b736dff589_z.jpg

Sizing up by dtvacuums, on Flickr

7543824840_4898eff47b_z.jpg

Measuring up by dtvacuums, on Flickr

The sill end plate tacked in

7543822468_01c2c7a1b5_z.jpg

Tacked in by dtvacuums, on Flickr

with the outer arch tacked on too

7543820042_3c48f47f92_z.jpg

Outer on! by dtvacuums, on Flickr

7543817516_1c272f9be6_z.jpg

More welding by dtvacuums, on Flickr

Note the repairs to the centre section, the sill stiffener. Oddly enough, this connects to the outer sill halfway across it, apart from at the jacking point where it extends down to the sill section.

7543815768_40f659b2fd_z.jpg

Tacking! by dtvacuums, on Flickr

Hurtling on without taking too many photos, this is what I finished with today as the rainstarted:

7543813144_5c1244aabd_z.jpg

Painted up! by dtvacuums, on Flickr

7543810832_5d66486901_z.jpg

Arch! by dtvacuums, on Flickr

Yes, that paint is brushed on, and is blue Smootherite - a blind man running for a bus wouldn't notice the colour miss-match... ;-)

Yes, that paint is brushed on, and is blue Smootherite - a blind man running for a bus wouldn't notice the colour miss-match... ;-)

I've done the same in the past using their BRG-ish one, does the job eh. If only they did one in Rover Oyster Beige :D

• 2 months later...

There was a little bit of rot left in the left sill after the last lot of repairs - it's visible in the last photo above just underneath the door rubber - so with this morning being dry I decided to takle it prior to the MOT on Monday.

I began by running over the rot with the wirebrush in the angle grinder, then cut it out with the thin cutting disc. I had a peer into the sill, clocking the waxoyl that I'd pumped into it previously. After cutting a patch to size, I cleaned it off with the rotary wire brush, sprayed it with weld-thru primer, let it dry and began to butt-weld it in. I had the welder set ot the lowest power setting, and there was a little bit of burning through, but nothing I couldn't deal with. Then I saw some flames inside the sill, which I blew out. Then there were some more flames, and I belw those out too.

Then there were some more flames, and I tried to blow those out, but that didn't work. I grabbed the grinder, swapped the wire brush for a cutting disc, and began to slice open the sill - time was of the essence, so I didn't change the welding helmet for the grinding mask. The mask went dark as soon as the sparks appeared! Off with the mask, and risk it wearing the prescription saftey specs. Hole cut open I peeled the sill back and tried blowing the flames out - didn't work. Next was to try extinguishing them with the CO2 from the welder - didn't work. Water - try some water! Nope, not that either. The rear arch was getting hot by this point, and smoke was issuing from the vent above the arch.

Panic.

Into the house, grab the keys for the motorhome, intot the van, grab the fire extinguisher, back outside - by now the smoke's coming out fromn the loose trim in the boot - and point the fire extinguisher into the hole in the sill and squeeze...CHUUUFFFFTTT, and the fire is out.

This is the scene immediately after:

8032331931_e77d5ac297_z.jpg

Nicely blistered paint on the wheelarch!

8032330254_7c31e22bdc_z.jpg

The hero of the day:

8032329974_577afc0a04_z.jpg

How it looks now - the welding was done very carefully.

8032329692_d816e5c6e8_z.jpg

So, it's only an old car some might say, just let it burn and collect the insurance and you can buy something new - fair enough, but it was parked on the drive less than 2 foot from the motorhome, and if that were to go on fire it would cost way more.

This afternoon, I'm hope to buy a new fire extinguisher for the motorhome... :)

My brother had a 1300 the same colour - bought off my best mate's dad. Cracking car, more powerful than a 1600 sierra, my brother got rid because I was selling my B reg SRi, and because the fusebox was melting.

I bought my SRi in 1992 off my cousin, paid a tad under £2k for it with 76k on the clock. My brother bought it off me in 1995, sold it on in 1996 with 140k on the clock. It was still on it's original sills and camshaft.

IIRC cavalier sills were a piece of piss and every MOT station could probably do them in their sleep such was their propensity to rust.

• 1 year later...

Well, after this:

Took the Cavalier for MOT today, joking that the test would take 1 hour but the write-out of the fail sheet would take longer - considering it was pushed into front-line duty during the worst of the winter weather tramping up and down the country to deal with family matters that arose in January and continued on for some time as well as communting 38 miles a day, icluding besting an Audi TT in 4-5 inch deep snow at half-6 in the morning, I expected it to be a steel doily underneath.  I know it has a rotten sill - indeed the gaffer tape has kept the rain and salt out of it since January, but I was expecting lots wrong including front brake imbalance (it scraped through last year but has had new pads & discs )with it despite it feeling great to drive after the 205 (other than it's far slower in a straight line), but otherwise...

O Hai Hillman Imp weldr part bak pleez K thx bai...!

post-3066-0-30320700-1380724012.jpg

Then the kind words of others, I went onto this:

Oh no? Thursday, I ripped into the sill stiffener and inner sill on the Cavalier with the plasma disc to expose the rear chassis rail completely: the verdict is, the chassis rail need a good clean-up, but is otherwise fine so I can weld in some Zintec and pop an outer on it and then get to work on the mechanical stuff.  Considering that there was 3mm thick of rust between the rail and the inner sill at the bottom when I started it, I was not looking forward to finding out just how high that stuff went.

That made me grin, I tell thee.

After a bit of cleaing off and some Vactan action

10782731615_7c25272b03_z.jpg

then so much rain and other stuff taking up my time (unsuccessful job interviews and the like) I went out to weld in some Zintec into the Cav, but first I did a bit more exploring, this is the seatbelt mount itself:

10782996563_74f2bcab7a_z.jpg

Then I took the Saab pliers to the crack in the chassis leg:

10782853114_609c55f3b2_z.jpg

Ah, fuck.

10782849954_a1ffed6990_z.jpg

Not good.  Especially as it crawls further up the leg than is visible here... :cry:

Great thread! I love these old Cavaliers, they used to be everywhere but all seemed to disappear overnight around 2002-3. Anyway, I repaired the same area on my A55 Cambridge (forward mounting of the rear leaf spring by the look of it?) and it wasn't that difficult. Although I had the car on its side which made it a lot easier, I was able to do it without removing the spring. I repaired the area to the front and about halfway along the spring mount first, then the other half. Looking at the picture I think you should be able to get reasonable access for the grinder and torch if you take the wheel off. Hopefully.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was being gentle, I know what they do! The best thing about them is if they take a bite this happens, rather than the grinder jumping out of your hands in a confined space and taking a chunk out of your face!

Much as I would like to see if it will fix, I think it'll be too much work.