So that's where the Ami went!

drewd

I'm so glad you are looking forward to ownership. And i'm really glad i'll also get to see the progress as you make it your own.

The only advice i have is get to learn how they feel/drive, they are different but i had a huge grin on my face as always driving it over there.

If you have any questions, either yourself or Dave, just ask , being around Citroen A series, literally since i was born, has its advantages of knowledge 

17 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

I'm so glad you are looking forward to ownership. And i'm really glad i'll also get to see the progress as you make it your own.

The only advice i have is get to learn how they feel/drive, they are different but i had a huge grin on my face as always driving it over there.

If you have any questions, either yourself or Dave, just ask , being around Citroen A series, literally since i was born, has its advantages of knowledge 

Thanks, i'll try and give updates as and when they happen.

I've spent far too long watching YouTube videos of Amis and 2CVs recently, the gear shifter seemed quite natural when I sat in the car but I've not driven it as yet. From what I've seen they seem happiest with the revs quite high and the engine not labouring, much like me spinning an easy gear uphill on a bike. I think it'll take me a while to get used to the comedy lean angles round bends, but there's plenty of twisty lanes around Rutland to get a feel for it before undertaking any long journeys.

Much appreciated, if I get stuck with anything on it I'll let you know.

20 minutes ago, drewd said:

. From what I've seen they seem happiest with the revs quite high and the engine not labouring, much like me spinning an easy gear uphill on a bike. I think it'll take me a while to get used to the comedy lean angles round bends, but there's plenty of twisty lanes around Rutland to get a feel for it before undertaking any long journeys.

Absolutely they like Rev's, you almost can't over rev them, the inlet design is quite clever.

When you look at speedo you will see little orange square marks, thats the advisable rev to point before changing gear, 1st mark to 2nd, 2nd mark to 3rd etc.

One bit of very important advice, when reversing, always fully depress clutch before braking to slow/stop. This minimises the possibility of unwinding a lock ring on the main gearshaft and being stuck between gears.

(something all 2CV'ers used to know, less so now it seems)  -It may have been apart and peened in the past, but i dont know, so thats best practice.

I've messaged a bloke called Pete Sparrow about some wings and he's going to have a look for me.

I've been buying a load of spare parts for it, hence the lack of updates of my own stuff, and now hopefully folks can see why I've been consolidating a bit... The golf takes up less room than the Mondeo and the range rover isn't going anywhere any time soon.

18 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

I've messaged a bloke called Pete Sparrow about some wings and he's going to have a look for me.

I've been buying a load of spare parts for it, hence the lack of updates of my own stuff, and now hopefully folks can see why I've been consolidating a bit... The golf takes up less room than the Mondeo and the range rover isn't going anywhere any time soon.

That guy i said had some wings, yeah that was him (if you wish to remind him Mats Smith paid him for a pair of Ami 8 wings that he was going to help get to Melton Mowbray, i know Pete, this isnt as weird as it sounds) 😆

6 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

That guy i said had some wings, yeah that was him (if you wish to remind him Mats Smith paid him for a pair of Ami 8 wings that he was going to help get to Melton Mowbray, i know Pete, this isnt as weird as it sounds) 😆

Does he owe you a pair then?  I mean I'm not far from Melton.. I could use that card 🤣

12 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

Do they need fetching straight away?  I'm about 30 miles away but don't have much indoor storage space.

I've got a friend in Worcester who can probably grab them at the weekend, if not I'll drive over and get them, it's a bit of a trek but they don't exactly grow on trees, but if for any reason I can get them on Saturday or Sunday it'd be nice to have a backup to buy me a few days.

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Very pleased this has gone to a good home. Just couldn’t sell the MG in time or I would have loved to have it!

In a way you’re already proving you’re a better home though, you’re getting straight on with things! 

You didn't hear the words other Dave used when I'd got back from dropping @Stinkwheelback.

It's dry and safe where it is, but yeah I was getting stuck in before I'd taken delivery buying parts and things, want to get it done so @drewdcan enjoy it a bit.

27 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

I've got a friend in Worcester who can probably grab them at the weekend, if not I'll drive over and get them, it's a bit of a trek but they don't exactly grow on trees, but if for any reason I can get them on Saturday or Sunday it'd be nice to have a backup to buy me a few days.

See if your mate can get them as at least that's heading in the right direction, if not I'll swing by and see if someone can Shiteley from the FoD.

38 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Good to see another Ami being woken up.

Mine will be out and about as soon as the weather improves.

IMG_20220420_130550 broad.jpg

I might mither you a bit for some measurements once we get to work on pulling the front of the body a bit straighter on this one, if that's OK.  I'll send you pictures of the points we would like to measure.

9 hours ago, DaveDorson said:

I might mither you a bit for some measurements once we get to work on pulling the front of the body a bit straighter on this one, if that's OK.  I'll send you pictures of the points we would like to measure.

Taking measurements is no problem at all. Just give me a bit of notice as I don't keep it at home.

I have only had my Ami just over a year but I had a 2CV for 7 years before that to practice my gear change!

IMG_20220401_101437 broad.jpg

So went and saw a bloke called Pete today and got some wings, but because the phone camera is absolutely nailed you'll have to wait for progress shots as they happen.

The rears are GRP and need some love, the front on one side could use a repair but crucially it's not bent about and creased, so I'll sort that out and get the front end on and about straight and work out the rears a bit.

IMG-20230515-WA0008.thumb.jpg.9f9a70804a06b4f9b4aa6d359201fa40.jpg

The car sneezed and if face fell off.

So I had a bit of time to kill this evening and I need to get the brakes done on the car and go over the calipers I also have some  not fucked panels to make the front end of of, so it made sense to take the front end off.

IMG-20230515-WA0007.thumb.jpg.e2c3ea390c8d90f77a395a335f8e957f.jpgIMG-20230515-WA0006.thumb.jpg.f9c56cdf0c603b2b37408d649aa0f2a4.jpgIMG-20230515-WA0005.thumb.jpg.d100800ac909aa770409edbf3db65c7a.jpg

Inner wings are not anything like as bad as they could be, but they do need some attention. 

These will also unbolt, so it's easy enough to take them off to repair them.

Dave's been cracking on with this during the evenings this week and today.

He's taken the inner wings off to check the general state of things.

These are @DaveDorsons photos as he's doing the work. I've not seen the car for over a week so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

IMG-20230520-WA0000.thumb.jpg.0fc9bf43931afdebfea398697032275e.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0001.thumb.jpg.b9cfe22fdbf6120caab3c0bdd099d8d8.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0003.thumb.jpg.42705eb1985acbcbd3feff431925d7c9.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0002.thumb.jpg.894ef5ea5bc9cf5c60eb550d375eb40d.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0004.thumb.jpg.f29c8d6e5f1c8e3ef24925f7dbd52188.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0005.thumb.jpg.6512e61fcfa7b6b6095f458271e6efd7.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0006.thumb.jpg.98f71d60d0a6a7695293247039f531bf.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0007.thumb.jpg.17f485255c2b2e38c992befbbcb5ca8e.jpg

The brake discs and pads will be replaced and I'm going to order a couple of rebuild kits for the calipers.IMG-20230520-WA0009.thumb.jpg.c9ca96674e77451972077c3849d5e6e6.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0008.thumb.jpg.b94116b4f94187630a637f6635217a8f.jpg

Dave's given the inner wings a bit of a clean up

IMG-20230520-WA0010.thumb.jpg.139b835c98fddc96aa69ad11ae90385c.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0012.thumb.jpg.75d5b42b071b5e45ea790a6e2f557abd.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0011.thumb.jpg.8638dc6a531efeaeee1c363b170193cf.jpg

The main body seems decent but the inner wings could benefit from some love. Wire brushing has made some holes appear, and they're a bit frilly round the flanges...

They're probably salvageable with some time and a skilled welder but as the metal is very thin and the panels are a bit twisted it'll be a bit of an awkward job to get them right.

Other than that I don't think he's found anything of concern, so not too bad for a car of it's age.

Also on the list is an oil leak which Dave suspects is the crankshaft oil seal. So I'll order one of those and a clutch kit.

I don't suppose anyone knows of and Ami 8 inner wings in good condition for sale do they? I'd be surprised if you do but there's no harm in asking. If not we'll rebuild the ones we have but it makes sense to replace these if we can while it's all apart.

As Drew said the inner wings are mega crispy and very thin at the ends.  I can fabricate and repair these but if a good pair appears that haven't been bent it'd make my life easier, they came out easy enough though. 

I'll probably get the rear wings and the doors off at next week depending how much time I can find so I can get them dug apart and any new metal in if needed.  

Rear cross member aside the main body is really good as @Stinkwheelsaid in his advert, so if I can avoid taking it off fully to sort it out then I will, I'm hoping I can make enough space to repair and reconstruct the bit at the back once the tank is dropped and out.

Of course while I'm doing that I'll replace the fuel lines, the fuel filter and the brake line clips as they are missing down the side of the chassis and stuff is sort of flapping about which makes me uneasy.

17 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

As Drew said the inner wings are mega crispy and very thin at the ends.  I can fabricate and repair these but if a good pair appears that haven't been bent it'd make my life easier...

I've messaged my mate Simon in 2CVGB - he deals in secondhand panels & parts.

On 5/20/2023 at 4:10 PM, DaveDorson said:

the fuel filter and the brake line clips as they are missing down the side of the chassis and stuff is sort of flapping about which makes me uneasy.

Ahhhh, dont worry about that, worry about the other things 🤣