Crimewatch UK Stolen Rover 75 Connoisseur

Motown

• 3 months later...

My Grandads MG Montego Turbo was on Crimewatch, due to it being stolen off his driveway and used in a spree of armed robberies across the Midlands.

He actually got the car back 8 months later but it was literally a bare body shell as the Crims had stripped it. The Insurance had the car rebuilt with a new drivetrain, interior, etc 

can’t remember the year but it was early 90s 

Dxxx EUE , I can remember that bit of the reg thought 

Crimewatch would have to be on air 24/7 365 days a year for the amount of stolen cars now. Especially the ones that get nicked at knife point. I remember seeing a video of a young girl getting ripped from her car in broad daylight by 3 masked lads. She had to beg to get her young child out the back before they fucked off with it! 

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

Crimewatch would have to be on air 24/7 365 days a year for the amount of stolen cars now. Especially the ones that get nicked at knife point. I remember seeing a video of a young girl getting ripped from her car in broad daylight by 3 masked lads. She had to beg to get her young child out the back before they fucked off with it! 

I suppose there's an upside to driving shite, no one wants to steal it 

Its not like it was in the old days. Don't worry too much about cars being broken into or stolen these days like we did back then, and I live in Bradford. 

There's probably a different type of car crime where high value vehicles are stolen to order and parts like Gone in 60 Seconds, instead of scrotes twoccing them for smack money or shits and giggles like when I was younger. 

Remember coming out of my mates house at 2am in about 1997 to go and get some fags. There was a blatantly dumped stolen Astra parked on the grass outside his house. 

We walked about 20 metres down the road and Paul suddenly said "Hold up, where's my car?"

Seems they'd seen his Chavalier SRI and thought it was a bit better than the Astra estate and took that. 

Another mate had his Fiesta stolen. The police found it 'processed' it for prints etc and gave it back to him. When he's driving down the road he lit a fag and opened the ashtray and there was several bullets in there, suggesting his car had been used in a robbery. The police's forensics team obviously hadn't gone into enough detail to look in the ashtray. He shifted that car quick in case it had a marker on it as he used to deal a bit and didn't need to get pulled over in it at the wrong time. Buried the bullets in his garden.

Another mate had his Carlton estate stolen and used in a ram raid. However the people who did it were obviously new to the game as they had only stolen his car, done the ramming with it, filled it up with booze and fags and then tried driving off only to find a car doesn't drive too well after being driven into a wall at high speed and had to abandon it and leg it on foot.

Talking of shit criminals, I once borrowed my house mates car without his knowledge to go to Brid with my mates. Was a Metro city. He had gone to his girlfriend's for the weekend so we thought he would never find out. 

However on the way home we were running short of petrol. Could we figure out how to open the petrol cap? Could we fuck. Had to ring his missus's house to speak to him and find out. He wasn't best pleased. 

Can't remember now why we had so much trouble though, was it a lever inside or something? Or did we just not have the key having pinched his spare and we had to get back on fumes? 

Anyway, we had to buy him a few drinks to apologise. 

This is weird but lately I’ve been watching the old Crimewatch episodes on YouTube, the worst were the murders, it was actually more frightening than if you’d seen all the gory detail, there was one where some people were waiting in this blokes flat to murder him, all you saw was him open the flat door, close it, split second later a bang as he got shot. But you were still looking at the front door, the unknown what was going off!

7 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Its not like it was in the old days. Don't worry too much about cars being broken into or stolen these days like we did back then, and I live in Bradford. 

There's probably a different type of car crime where high value vehicles are stolen to order and parts like Gone in 60 Seconds, instead of scrotes twoccing them for smack money or shits and giggles like when I was younger. 

My late father told me some stories about his brother that surprised me. Said uncle is very much estranged and just a bad egg by all accounts.

Dad told me some stories about his brother often turning up home from the pub having just stolen a car to drive home in, he’d literally steal it and drive home then leave it parked a street away to be recovered - this would have been early 70s so I suppose a lot more of a viable option back then. 

I wish I could remember more of these stories, always shocked me as my dad was quite a prim and proper senior sales manager type but it sounds like the estranged uncle was not quite the same! 

Another story was he’d taken my dad somewhere for the day when they were early 20s and dads brother suggested hitchhiking home. HGV picked them up but the driver saw another lorry from the company and told them to duck down as they went past. Uncle was sat nearest the door, ducked down but caught the handle - door opens and he falls out onto the A13 and breaks his back.

9 hours ago, goosey said:

My Grandads MG Montego Turbo was on Crimewatch, due to it being stolen off his driveway and used in a spree of armed robberies across the Midlands.

He actually got the car back 8 months later but it was literally a bare body shell as the Crims had stripped it. The Insurance had the car rebuilt with a new drivetrain, interior, etc 

can’t remember the year but it was early 90s 

Dxxx EUE , I can remember that bit of the reg thought 

My uncle had an MG Montego Turbo. It spent more time in the hands of local crims than with him. Stolen 4 or 5 times IIRC. The final time it was written off after being driven into the side of a house. He bought something else with the insurance money.

On 2/17/2022 at 7:04 AM, sierraman said:

This is weird but lately I’ve been watching the old Crimewatch episodes on YouTube, the worst were the murders, it was actually more frightening than if you’d seen all the gory detail, there was one where some people were waiting in this blokes flat to murder him, all you saw was him open the flat door, close it, split second later a bang as he got shot. But you were still looking at the front door, the unknown what was going off!

I second this... what i also find really sad is when you watch the ones from the late 80s early 90s now knowing a few of the murder cases featured over months or sometimes years were all done by one person Peter Tobin to name one of a few examples although obviously they didn't know this at the time.  

I also feel the quality of the reconstructions and the show as a whole dropped significantly in the 2000s.... It was overly dramatized the use of some suspenseful or bleak feeling music dubbed over the reconstruction of a family been bound gagged and held at gunpoint in there own home or an old lady being mugged just seemed ridiculous and insensitive 

1 hour ago, Motown said:

I second this... what i also find really sad is when you watch the ones from the late 80s early 90s now knowing a few of the murder cases featured over months or sometimes years were all done by one person Peter Tobin to name one of a few examples although obviously they didn't know this at the time.

He was suspected as being Bible John for years, but the DNA didn't match.

1 hour ago, Motown said:

I also feel the quality of the reconstructions and the show as a whole dropped significantly in the 2000s.... It was overly dramatized the use of some suspenseful or bleak feeling music dubbed over the reconstruction of a family been bound gagged and held at gunpoint in there own home or an old lady being mugged just seemed ridiculous and insensitive 

It’s surprising how many remain unsolved, there’s some really gruesome stories like unexplained arson that has never been solved. I think things like that sit heavy with people that the perpetrator is still out there. Watching the older 80’s stuff is an eye opener to attitudes at the time.