2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Still Here, Somehow.

St.Jude

15 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

What an ungrateful pig of a car :(

Ride sensors all plugged in ok? I've done that before 🤒

Pig is being kind to the useless piece of shit.

Theres only two ride height sensors, a new one and an old one. When the old one failed the other side still inflated. So I don’t think it’s a sensor issue, it’s something else. I don’t think it’s a relay either. So it could be either I’ve not done something via Techstream to reset it or the air suspensions ECU is fucked.

• St.Jude changed the title to 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - The Money Pit

An update until tomorrow anyway.

Im not the only one having the problems with this, a few report the same problems on some forums. Helpfully (not) they talk about resetting the system but don’t go in to details.

However I’ve found someone swearing blind they reset the compressor by jumping two pins on a diagnostic port in the engine bay. I’ve also had someone else tell me I need to hold a button down for 10 seconds and it resets it.

So tomorrow at work I am going to be on the hunt for a paper clip!

An update:

My Land Cruiser is far too fancy and new to have this magical diagnostic port in the engine bay. So I do have to have Techstream or find out what the Konami code is for the buttons.

I did fire it up, and it must’ve been long enough to clear the codes as the compressor fired up again, I threw it to L to give it a chance. The compressor stopped after 2 minutes, the height hasn’t changed, but I can’t hear any hissing either. 

I do really need to dry out this laptop and get Techstream on it.

So the laptops dried out, but for some reason I’m not able to access the air suspension system via Techstream like I did before. At least I think I did before.

At some point over the weekend I’m going to measure the resistance of the height sensors as much as I can. Plus I am going to try and see if I can hear any air escaping from under it. Can’t hear fuck all at the moment when I’m next to it, doesn’t mean it isn’t, but I can’t understand how the compressor will have run for about 10 mins now altogether and no air is pumping the bags up.

Also, and FYI - the LC community are wankers. I’ve had no help other than “do a coil conversion m9”. fuck off you ignorant cunt.

If the compressor is running then air must be being sent into the bags. 

Maybe they've gone porous rather than split, you won't always hear air escaping. 

You could try jacking the car up and then trying to inflate the bags. You may be able to get some air in so you can spray them with water to find leaks, but if the weight of the car is on them they possibly can't withstand any pressure to raise the car. You may not need to jack it up, just spray some soapy water around the bags. A bit of washing up liquid diluted in a spray bottle will do fine

1 minute ago, RoverFolkUs said:

hAvE yOu nOT pUT sPRinGs oN iT yEt 😅🤣

That mindset alone is enough for me to scrap the car.

Ive asked in places and specifically said “I’m not interested in coils, I want the original system to work” - and more often than not I get “you should use coins m9 they’re more reliable”.

These fucking Lampards wouldn’t stand for it if they went to the hospital with a bruised shin, only for the doctor to say they should amputate it because a prosthetic can’t be bruised. 

Does my tiny fragile mind in!!!!

56 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Probably a silly question, but you've confirmed that the compressor is running, I know that.  Have you however confirmed that it is actually moving air though?

I've lost count of how many "new" items I've had arrive DOA from eBay/Amazon in the last few years.

You know what, you're probably onto something. It wouldn't surprise me if it was running in reverse... Because a surprising number of new parts are faulty in that way

6 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

You know what, you're probably onto something. It wouldn't surprise me if it was running in reverse... Because a surprising number of new parts are faulty in that way

If it's a piston pump as it looks like it won't care about direction of rotation of the motor.  So long as the piston goes up and down, the direction of air flow is determined by the valves in the head.  Or not if they're not sealing properly.

Hopefully it's not an absolutely massive pain to get to a fitting to confirm there is actually compressed air coming out of the correct side of the pump while it's going.

How easy is it to bypass the on car compressor with another compressor. Assuming you know what safe pressure the bags work at, before fuck mauling about trying to take the new compressor back off the car, trying operating the suspension from an external source.

Holy shit. Just read this thread from start to finish. Significant hat tip to you @St.Jude for getting this far, persistent isn't even close to being the right word. Good write-ups too. Take solace in the fact that whilst it's been expensive, this is still cheaper than most leases.

Here's what you really want instead of the Amazon, this one may or may not include the Japanese man

https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-toyota-land-cruiser-1985-for-sale-639a126c3f359ded4718184e

car_11874e5d-c9c4-4d9e-b5dc-a8649b2984d5_640_0.jpeg.b3b84f00755ca24fe7ba67f05b738efb.jpeg

Thanks all.

Will address @Zelandeth @RoverFolkUs and @Matty first.

I checked the pump, as there is a bottom hose which I imagine does the sucking given the top hose leads straight to the air bags. It is indeed sucking, so I imagine for now the new compressor is going the right way.

Techstream, bless it, has played nicely today and gave me access to the error codes. I’m back to the same one I had before - continuous current on the compressor. So it’s good to know that the old pump probably still works!

I managed to clear the codes, run around after I managed to get the height adjustment to run, hence how I found out which way it’s pumping. I observed the bags. Nothing happened until towards the end where I heard a hiss. The hiss is coming from the drivers side again, from the new bag, which seems to not be seated correctly. Not at all good news, given this part is one of the ones replaced.

However, I noted a few things on Techstream for the suspension system.  Apologies for the glare.IMG_2909.thumb.jpeg.8514048e5e4d378db01773cf63d528be.jpeg

A bit closer…

IMG_2908.thumb.jpeg.2f7d0d2acaab65581ab22e468048c16f.jpeg

Fairly sure they should be the same, although I’ve got nothing to base this on yet. However, if RL is properly out then that’s also the new sensor that was fitted. 

Doubt I’d get a refund on the air bag as it was an eBay job, but if the new sensor has failed then that’s an easier process as I got It from Milners Off Road.

Im going to try and ask two places and see what they say without them mentioning coils.

As for @sdkrc- not sure it would be cheaper than a lease now! I have in my head one of my last cars (as in ones I want to work on, restore kind of thing) is a Land Cruiser Amazon. Even with this ungrateful pig of a thing I’m still in that mindset, because when I buy one I know it’ll need work and I’ll do everything on it. But this thing? This is meant to work.

I know nothing about land cruisers but the fact that one reading is almost exactly double the other is standing out to me. Has a bracket been fitted upside down on one side or something?

Edit: ignore me, my maths has failed me. 

35 minutes ago, DeanH said:

I know nothing about land cruisers but the fact that one reading is almost exactly double the other is standing out to me. Has a bracket been fitted upside down on one side or something?

Edit: ignore me, my maths has failed me. 

You’re quite right that has jumped out to me. The brackets can only go on one way though.

Do the sensors need calibrating if they’re changed out? I know that Land Rovers need that - It appears that sometimes you get away with it if the resistance of the sensor is identical to the one that came off but it’s pot luck. You’re meant to measure from the centre of the hub to the arch on those, then plug the value into the ECU to give it a reference point as to what the signal from the sensor relates to as a measurement.

How does the car control the air going into the bags? I discovered on the Disco that just shorting the pump relay doesn’t lift the truck up despite running the pump as it uses solenoid valves to control the air going to the bags independent of the pump function, the pump appears to just try and keep the reservoir pressure constant.

Sorry, this might not be helpful but I had the Disco stuck on bump stops the other day so had a crash course in the air system on his driveway… ended up resigned to driving home on bump stops, and about 2 miles down the road the landy thought ‘fuck this’ and raised itself up to normal ride height 🤣 I get the same thing as well, ask a question about the air system and get told to get coils… I don’t want coils, I want the comfort/unreliability of the air system!! 😅

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

Do the sensors need calibrating if they’re changed out? I know that Land Rovers need that - It appears that sometimes you get away with it if the resistance of the sensor is identical to the one that came off but it’s pot luck. You’re meant to measure from the centre of the hub to the arch on those, then plug the value into the ECU to give it a reference point as to what the signal from the sensor relates to as a measurement.

How does the car control the air going into the bags? I discovered on the Disco that just shorting the pump relay doesn’t lift the truck up despite running the pump as it uses solenoid valves to control the air going to the bags independent of the pump function, the pump appears to just try and keep the reservoir pressure constant.

Sorry, this might not be helpful but I had the Disco stuck on bump stops the other day so had a crash course in the air system on his driveway… ended up resigned to driving home on bump stops, and about 2 miles down the road the landy thought ‘fuck this’ and raised itself up to normal ride height 🤣 I get the same thing as well, ask a question about the air system and get told to get coils… I don’t want coils, I want the comfort/unreliability of the air system!! 😅

I don’t think so. They have a metal drop link which you’re meant to adjust and that gives it’s “height”. 

Only one person has got back to me regarding the Techstream post (all busy with the Eurovision) and the right hand sensor is looking at the jeep from behind. So the old sensor must be well out, or broken. 

Will find time tomorrow and have a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is a big, big day.

Ive bought two new air bags, I’ve bought another height control sensor for the side I didn’t get changed. There is nothing else really I can change under it in order to get the suspension working. I’m fitting the shocks too, so it’ll all be done.

Went to move the car to save a bit of time tomorrow, I was gifted with another flat battery. That said I only take the one battery out to charge it, so that’s in the garage charging as we speak.

If this doesn’t work then I’m shit out of ideas.

1 hour ago, St.Jude said:

Tomorrow is a big, big day.

Ive bought two new air bags, I’ve bought another height control sensor for the side I didn’t get changed. There is nothing else really I can change under it in order to get the suspension working. I’m fitting the shocks too, so it’ll all be done.

Went to move the car to save a bit of time tomorrow, I was gifted with another flat battery. That said I only take the one battery out to charge it, so that’s in the garage charging as we speak.

If this doesn’t work then I’m shit out of ideas.

Put it on coils M8! Seriously, you like naming cars, you could call it Zebedee!