Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

7 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

May I ask how that works?  Would the Norwegians buy a new body from VW and fit it to an old Kubelwagen?  

Sweden had a better economy than Norway in the 1950s, so cars were scrapped earlier there, and Norway had purchase restrictions on cars then, so there was a big market in buying car parts in Sweden. So I guess they used beetle bodies from scrapped or cheap beetles in Sweden. But I could be completely wrong.

9 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Sweden had a better economy than Norway in the 1950s, so cars were scrapped earlier there, and Norway had purchase restrictions on cars then, so there was a big market in buying car parts in Sweden. So I guess they used beetle bodies from scrapped or cheap beetles in Sweden. But I could be completely wrong.

I can also add for those who don't know. These have a separate body and bottom part/frame, so it is possible to change the body. I don't know how well a beetle body fit a Kupelwagen bottom part, but Norway had creative and clever mechanics back then who could make most things  work.

Beetle bottom part/frame

88901798_Screenshot2023-01-0919_35_16.thumb.png.9dddab13d888f6a065c96c52551decbc.png

12 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Perhaps then the owners of some very old beetles in Norway might not realise that parts of their cars are even older than they thought.  

5 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Perhaps then the owners of some very old beetles in Norway might not realise that parts of their cars are even older than they thought.  

It is possible but I don't know how common this was. At least I have read about one that was rebuilt like this and there should be more.

One thing I came across now. In Narvik Norway 2012 they found and dug up a Kubelwagen that was buried in a garden in 1965.

1869159884_Screenshot2023-01-0919_52_50.thumb.png.52935117fbc9adffaaada7a0aa30d0e7.png

There are other examples of how shortage of money makes people innovative.  I've put here a picture of a bus on Malta, made from a 1959 Bedford SB chassis with a locally built body.  I am sure many of you know how famous the Malta bus builders were.  I suppose at the moment in the UK there are cars being fixed now that a few years ago would have been forgotten!

G16280.jpg