Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

1370475648_1970KruisstraatEindhoven.thumb.jpeg.d42f9020612dd4a30b9e355dee6e9a2d.jpeg

Kruisstraat,  Eindhoven, The Netherlands. 1970

The car between the two Simcas is a Daf 750 Daffodil (type 30) and the one from which the name was derived. If you look closely it's just possible to see the indicator on the corner nearest the photographer. This, coupled with the sloping bonnet and horizontal chrome strips made the front look like a crocodile. This was joined with the manufacturer's name, resulting in.... "Daffodil"!

31 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

How long did cars like that last on Norway's roads? All that chrome and perimeter frame chassis with rust traps.

It is difficult to say, but I know that many were in taxi use until they were around 10 years old but were probably tired when they were sold. American cars were favored because of their durability, so I would assume that the lifespan was good, but like my 1963 Mercedes a lot of work was probably done to keep them going.

We also didn't have an equivalent to the UK MOT until the 90s. So this helped the longevity of cars.

16 minutes ago, Andrew353w said:

The car between the two Simcas is a Daf 750 Daffodil (type 30) and the one from which the name was derived. If you look closely it's just possible to see the indicator on the corner nearest the photographer. This, coupled with the sloping bonnet and horizontal chrome strips made the front look like a crocodile. This was joined with the manufacturer's name, resulting in.... "Daffodil"!

Top class factoid! I always thought it was a play on DAF and one of The Netherlands major exports - various forms of narcissi.

10 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Yes - that would be about right for an Acclaim at the time. Of course you'd get £175 off when you PX'd your 1969 Herald. 🙂

£4,532 in 1981 is equivalent to £16,024.26 today (or at least in Nov 2022 - the most recent date the BofE's calculator goes to). And £175 = £618.77, not bad.

Great car , non interference engine , I know ,done my belt in

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Believe it or not the triumph acclaim was the last car owned by me back in 1989 as a 22 year old,also the longest I kept a car after going through 17 from 83-89 , an ex hall and tawse staff car , after that it was company cars up till 2019 now running a 56 plate doblo van.

14 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Screenshot_20230102-083751_Chrome.jpg.82ca65fb395feef16237e6770e427dc9.jpg

Effects of this December 52 'Great Smog' were wide-ranging:

"Although London was accustomed to heavy fogs, this one was denser and longer-lasting than any previous fog. Visibility was reduced to a few metres, with one visitor stating that it was "like you were blind", rendering driving difficult or at times impossible.

Public transport ceased, apart from the London Underground, and the ambulance service stopped, forcing individuals to transport themselves to hospital. The smog was so dense that it even seeped indoors, resulting in the cancellation or abandonment of concerts and film screenings, as visibility decreased in large enclosed spaces, and stages and screens became harder to see from the seats. Outdoor sports events were also cancelled.

In the inner London suburbs and away from town centres, there was no disturbance by moving traffic to thin out dense fog in the back streets. As a result, visibility could be down to a metre or so in the daytime. Walking out of doors became a matter of shuffling to feel for potential obstacles such as kerbs. This was made even worse at night since each back street lamp was fitted with an incandescent light bulb, which gave no penetrating light onto the pavement for pedestrians to see their feet or even a lamp post. Fog-penetrating fluorescent lamps did not become widely available until later in the 1950s. "Smog masks" were worn by those who were able to purchase them from chemists.

There was no panic, as London was infamous for its fog. In the weeks that ensued, however, statistics compiled by medical services found that the fog had killed 4,000 people. Most of the victims were very young or elderly, or had pre-existing respiratory problems. In February 1953, Marcus Lipton suggested in the House of Commons that the fog had caused 6,000 deaths and that 25,000 more people had claimed sickness benefits in London during that period.

Mortality remained elevated for months after the fog.  A preliminary report, never finalised, blamed those deaths on an influenza epidemic. Emerging evidence revealed that only a fraction of the deaths could be from influenza. Most of the deaths were caused by respiratory tract infections, from hypoxia and as a result of mechanical obstruction of the air passages by  pus  arising from lung infections caused by the smog. The lung infections were mainly  bronchopneumonia or acute  purulent bronchitis superimposed upon chronic bronchitis.

Research published in 2004 suggests that the number of fatalities was considerably greater than contemporary estimates, at about 12,000."

Source Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_London

I was talking to my Mum about that a few weeks back, she had to walk home from  work in Euston to Palmers green, 8-ish miles, which took her about 6 hours, & she confirmed, you could barely see your hand in front of your face..

2 hours ago, georgeinabz said:

Believe it or not the triumph acclaim was the last car owned by me back in 1989 as a 22 year old,also the longest I kept a car after going through 17 from 83-89 , an ex hall and tawse staff car , after that it was company cars up till 2019 now running a 56 plate doblo van.

I drove a demo one to a launch. Metro? Maestro? Got wheelspin in 2nd. Brilliant cars

12 hours ago, Andrew353w said:

Interesting as I thought it too it's name from the flower hence the image on the steering wheel

image.thumb.jpeg.85781112581bdd0a3d6791874a3d759a.jpeg

Also the Dutch club website says the name is derived from the flower.

https://www.dafclub.nl/DAF/Modellen/Daffodil-Daf-30-31-32

Zijn naam betekent in het Engels narcis, de interne modelnaam 'Daf 30' verwijst naar het aantal pk's wat de motor levert: 30. Het is het eerste type Daffodil, de luxe versie van de Daf 750, met een in het oog springende verchroomde grille over de volle breedte van de auto. In het interieur is het een overdaad aan luxe met een compleet modern dashboard en luxe bekleding. Het stuur wordt gesierd met een centrale afbeelding van zijn naam: de narcis.

50 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

spacer.png

That is interesting - presumably by the glasshouse it's Farina/Pininfarina?

Glas? BMW? Lancia?

Given the date, stance and overall architecture - what if the BMC 1800 had had this trad' but elegant 3-box Farina BMC look body from the start - would it all have been so different for BMC? That is a very nice looking car.

32 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Glas? BMW? Lancia?

It a Series 1 Lancia Flavia saloon. The body was done in house at Lancia by Piero Castagnero. Pinninfarina got involved with teh Coupe version.

Lancia Flavia (fcaheritage.com)

The car body was entrusted to Piero Castagnero, who had previously distinguished himself in Lancia by creating the last two Appia series. Castagnero designed a square-shaped sedan with rounded corners, with futuristic lines far removed from the standard stylistic features of the period. Eye-catching features of the front part included the trapezoid motif repeated on the grille and on the two headlight groups, which incorporated the indicators and side lights. Fessia’s innovative mechanics made it possible to keep the engine hood lower than the long fenders, which ended with a double pair of headlights.

"The lucky previewers of the General Motors Motorama  acted somewhat like children looking bug-eyed into the window of a candy shop last night at the newest G.M. models and 'Dream Cars' of the future went on display in Pan-Pacific Auditorium.  Dazzling is the proper word for it.  The show is open to the public today."  https://tessa2.lapl.org/digital/collection/photos/id/31198

General Motors Motorama