cpjitservices

Sale: Possible Swaps? CPJ's New Saab 95 Sport - 1.9 TiD

Hi all,

As you know I've got a new car! 

I like it.

By no means is it perfect but then I didn't expect it to be. I'll dedicate this thread to the Ins & Outs of the 06 plate Saab. 

Looking through the car there is no Service history - So I'll start my own, first job will be Oil & Filters change. Will get it in for reluctor ring change to at some point. There's also an error with the fuel filter, the sensors cover is smashed ergo, its letting water in putting the EML on.

I shall sort those.

Bodywork is fine, Very little in the way of rust/rot. Front bumper has clips missing so a corner below the headlight pops off, no great shakes - but I'll sort it. Alloys have a few scuffs & dings but will clean up nicely. Tyres are all nearly brand new- winter ones too. I need a new passenger side door mirror glass - there's a stick on lens at the moment over the top of the original glass as the original glass is somewhat damaged - I'll get that done soon (ebay).

There's a knack to getting the key in & out of the ignition, put into reverse and then some more whilst lifting key is the trick. Maybe an adjustment can be made to fix that - in time!

Everything electrical seems to work fine!

Freebies: Dashcam (works perfect), Bluetooth system (again working perfectly), tyre compressor machine thing (in the spare wheel well)

It runs & drives fine, no knocks bangs or clunks - and more than powerful enough - second gear it can pin you to your seat! 133k on the clock so its due belts, which will be done ASAP.

It's also very very comfy!

Going to get a full valet at the weekend and a good clean (pics to follow, Before & after).

Keep your eyes open for updates!!!!

:)

PS - Interior shots to come soon!

post-20838-0-11249500-1551271289_thumb.jpg

post-20838-0-38708100-1551271327_thumb.jpg

post-20838-0-10773600-1551271343_thumb.jpg

Looks lovely and yes they are very torquey! Add a tuning chip to that and it’ll be even more so!

Nice you have a dashcam hard wired in too - that is something I want to get in the Prius but don’t want wires dangling everywhere

Are they correct alloys for this shape 9-5? I swear they are 9-3 Vector alloys.....

A lovely comfortable cruiser :)

Looks lovely and yes they are very torquey! Add a tuning chip to that and it’ll be even more so!

Nice you have a dashcam hard wired in too - that is something I want to get in the Prius but don’t want wires dangling everywhere

Are they correct alloys for this shape 9-5? I swear they are 9-3 Vector alloys.....

A lovely comfortable cruiser :)

Dashcam came with the car - was already wired in.... Bonus! Even has memory card in!

What I like to do when I get a new car is leave it to stand for a day or so.

Its been overnight there's no sign of the battery going flat - there's a knackered valve on one of the tyres apparently but none of them seem to be going down. There's also no drips on the cardboard I've put under the front so hopefully, no oil leaks - there are under trays fitted, they look dry!

Having a car with no oil leaks is a first for me!!!!

What I like to do when I get a new car is leave it to stand for a day or so.

Its been overnight there's no sign of the battery going flat 

Unlike my 'new' V70. Haven't used it since Monday. Went out this morning to do a bit of electrical probing - battery's as flat as the proverbial.

Glad I'm not at work tonight.

Unlike my 'new' V70. Haven't used it since Monday. Went out this morning to do a bit of electrical probing - battery's as flat as the proverbial.

Glad I'm not at work tonight.

Crikey that's a bind!!

Shame your not closer to me, I've a spare big battery you could lend.

It's a big'un too (Said the actress, to the bishop).

It's worth leaving a 'new' car just to sit to find these things out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Looks a cracking buy.  I had a couple of 9-5's back in the day, a saloon and then an estate. Lovely comfy cars and would have another late one.

Bit of a bargain for what you paid - well bought.

Thanks it is a cracking motor for what I paid... It was a toss up between this and a V70, I'm glad I got this. Very comfy indeed. Most comfy I've been in a car.

Nice and clean inside this morning, hoovered out and all smelling very nice!

Next couple of weeks ill get it properly valeted - will also be getting claybarred, cleaned and polished on the outside! 

Could this be one of the best cars I've ever owned? - It's certainly getting under my skin!

Had a problem with boot not locking onto its mechanism so not shutting properly, it may need a new mechanism on the tailgate - easy enough!

Could this be one of the best cars I've ever owned? - It's certainly getting under my skin!

I say this about Saabs. Not everyone gets it and sometimes it can take a while for when it does. But when it does, it becomes the family pet. Even the GM ones retained enough soul from the Saab engineers who designed it.

I also say Saabs aren't that reliable. The only reason why they do big miles is because they get under your skin and owners are prepared to keep throwing cash at them.

Hmmm, not that reliable? My 9-3 has done 60k miles, basic servicing and a brake servo, never had an FTP. My 1990 c900 vert, owned 10 years, never had an FTP. In fact, with all my Saabs over 30 years, I have had one FTP, fuel pump went on a £400 c900 after 20k miles. I do appreciate that there are examples that put that to the test, but in my experience, they are the most reliable make I have had.

Back in the '70s there was a common expression, "once a Saab driver, always a Saab driver". Often still true today.

I say this about Saabs. Not everyone gets it and sometimes it can take a while for when it does. But when it does, it becomes the family pet. Even the GM ones retained enough soul from the Saab engineers who designed it.

I also say Saabs aren't that reliable. The only reason why they do big miles is because they get under your skin and owners are prepared to keep throwing cash at them.

I throw cash at my cars anyway, I have a reliable garage who I manage IT Services for... So all of my cars go there. If I have a car I like then I don't mind spending... My Jag... The blue one was my baby and I must have spent at least £1500 on it... Gearbox flush, rear shocks, tyres, disks and pads all round, the engine had also a thorough service.

Only reason I got rid was due to a circumstance surround my employment.

The Saab is going in next couple of weeks for a full service and to fit a replacement fuel filter cover as it's missing at the moment and popping on the EML, I've ordered the cover. It's also getting a full valet, claybar and polish in next couple of weeks!!

I really do like it... So I'll spend the money to get it spot on.

My stop gaps I've spent money on as far as to keep them running so I can travel to where I need to be - but the Saab is definitely my new baby.

And my word... It's so comfy!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

News:

Its not due belts until 191k ;) found a sticker on side of the cam cover - belts were changed in 2017!! :)

It's usually the water pump that causes issues on these, most garages will not change belts without replacing the pump- on the upside, they break rockers usually before bending valves.

My 9-5 is still getting loads of fettling.. decided I'm not in the best position to change the subframe bushes myself at the moment so asked around a few local garages to do it...which was bloody difficult. None of them want to take it on, too old, chance of breaking bolts, don't know anything about them.....FFS. So I'll be doing it myself then..

It's usually the water pump that causes issues on these, most garages will not change belts without replacing the pump- on the upside, they break rockers usually before bending valves.

My 9-5 is still getting loads of fettling.. decided I'm not in the best position to change the subframe bushes myself at the moment so asked around a few local garages to do it...which was bloody difficult. None of them want to take it on, too old, chance of breaking bolts, don't know anything about them.....FFS. So I'll be doing it myself then..

What is it with garages turning down work? I find this myself quite often. I usually have to talk them through a job and do a bit of convincing before they take on an older car. Where is the professional pride? Yes it will be a bit harde but they are professionals with all the kit?!

Been mentioned before that most realise that on older cars things arent as straight forward so tend to incur extra time or costs which increases the chances of a car being stuck on a ramp depriving them of income. 

Normally people are running older cars due to a lack of funds so therefore are often looking for teh cheapest solution so when things go wrong and the bill increases the chances of being paid decrease. 

If I have the choice between a job that is relativity straight forward and I am going to get paid for versus an unknown challenging job that I may not get paid for, it is a no brainer. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By DaveDorson
      I really need to unload some of the cars.

Doesn't matter how much I try and justify it to myself, I've just got way too many at the moment.

This is a large problem that became very apparent when I started looking at moving workshop to somewhere larger to consolidate where I keep my stuff and hopefully make some headroom.  The realisation struck me that I've got enough work to keep me going until retirement, and it's simply not worth it.  I need to cut some stuff out and make a clean break I think.

Current list.

1972 Beetle 1200 restoration (keeping and finishing, it's Sarah's car so probably doesn't count, to be fair I've done a fair bit on this)

2000 beetle 2.0 (Sarah's car, needs a battery and some welding doing, but given she's not driving it's fine, and it can be quickly made into a car again.  I really need to keep this one too.

1984 Caravelle restoration (keeping and finishing, had this forever and can't part with it.)

1974 Subaru Beetle (can't really sell this one, made a promise on it and need to see it through)

2006 Mondeo ST 2.2 Diesel (I'm keeping this, as it's my daily driver)

So that brings us to the stuff I really need to get rid of.

2002 Mondeo ST220 in Infra Red (I bought this because nothing appreciates like a fast ford, it's a project but an easy one, and I've not touched it for three years now.  It's in a dry garage, this can be for sale.  I keep missing the guy with the garage access to get the pictures done

Here's one from just before it went into storage.  I can't imagine being that it's sat in a dry garage it looks a lot worse.  Battery will be shot, needs a window reg, they're about £20, I might have one.  It had a bit of a sump weep and needed discs and pads, and probably tyres too.  I don't remember seeing any rot in there, but it may have started to go a bit by the front wings.

FB_IMG_1548892719181 by davedorson, on Flickr

it's infra red, I've got some good part worn tyres I can sell with it for the right money, needs re-commissioning.  Plate is N99 JLM,

1999 Golf S 1.9 TD estate.  That's the one that was meant to go last week.  All working now, just needs me to put some coolant in it and get a battery, the chap was meant to bring one, then let me down, MOT'd till March 29th.  Might just get this re-MOT'd and park it down the unit as a spare "pool" car.  NOW SOLD

IMG_20181215_100535522 by davedorson, on Flickr

W124 300E (m103 3.0), ex David Bailey car apparently.  Lost all the paperwork, probably worthless, refuses to run right, I suspect the K-Jet is shagged.  I just can't find the motivation to do this.  It's fairly solid, I've got new discs and pads in the boot for it.  Really should just get rid of this one.  if anyone wants this please get in touch, and I'll do some photos for you. 

2018-08-09_09-18-46 by davedorson, on Flickr

It won't come on the 17's, as they're valuable on their own, I've got some original wheels, but I need to sort them out with tyres, I'll try and do that and get some updated ones.  NOW SOLD

S124 200TE, rusty.  Currently at a friends in Corby who's been apparently doing the welding on it for me.  I'm yet to see evidence of this.  I've basically written it off as a bad experience.  If anyone wants this please get in touch.  It does drive, but it's rough as arseholes due to degraded ignition bits and very rusty, although it might be less rusty now.  I dunno, I'll arrange some photos if I can.  Reg is G878ERP if you're curious, as you can see, off the road for ages!  NOT MOVED SINCE I STARTED THIS THREAD, ANYONE FEELING BRAVE?  MESSAGE ME!
    • By Fabergé Greggs
      There was a blurry period somewhere around the end of November where I wanted that purchase feeling, and wanted it bad. The Favorit had served me very well but it was never going to be a keeper… I’d gone a bit loopy and was considering all sorts of unsavoury vehicles.

Bramz’s Saab came up for sells, and having missed out by a ball hair on its 3 previous sales, snapped it up. I also thought fuck it and agreed to buy HMC’s Xantia, though sadly FJ said NO to that particular pairing.

I also bought SMH’s Honda Vision somewhere around this time, and had to abort the collection due to OMG fuel leak, now resolved and awaiting a nice sunny day for collection mk2.

So you know, feeling bit overwhelmed by all of this, I subsequently got a text from Ken saying I’d won his raffle E46 beemer. FUCK!

Anyway, some deals where done. Dollywobbler drove off in the Fav, Bramz drove off in the E46 and I ended up with the Saabre tooth tiger.

It’s so bloody NICE. The engine and box is a great combo around town, just the right amounts of laziness and torquiness. Out on the open road, the fairy low top ratio of the 3 speed box is a little tiresome, but not too bad as long as you ignore the MPG’s.

How are the MPG’s? Well, I started to gather some data on how much fuel I was putting in and how miles I was doing but then I suddenly thought FUCK NO! So I’ve just been doing loads of miles in it anyway.

I’ve been up to Scotland in it twice, all over the shop really. I think I’ve done about 2500 miles in a month, putting in loads of fuel. Loads and loads.

But it’s ace! It’s so comfy, so solid and surefooted. What with winter tires and headlight washers, it just feels so right blasting through the hills of Scotland in freezing temperatures. At times it was so wet a Saabmarine might have been more appropriate, but it just kept on keeping on. And once you’ve finished doing that and you’re heading back down the motorway to London, it just feels so nice and cosseting once you hit London traffic. Fuck me it’s thirsty though..

Knowing that I was going to be doing a bunch of miles in it I put in some really nice front speakers, a head unit that I got from Sims for £20, and an underseat subwoofer. The fronts I used are the https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/SPG-10C2. Having tried a bunch of speakers I've come to fully understand that you need to pay for silk dome tweeters. They just sound fundamentally way better before any EQ’ing or whatnot. These I paired up with one of these:
      https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-usw10_p-25817.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiA9qHhBRB2EiwA7poaeKsYbxnqsJmH1-qU6P4Jzoq0NW-1kURd-D5mUW2TFHm0LOdVoCVzNRoCkEcQAvD_BwE. I recommend it- not the lowest extension ever, but a massive improvement on a stock system. What made wiring this in particularly pleasant in the Saab was discovering that I already had a 12v source rated to 30A under the seats for the optional electric seats. I discovered the fuse box for this under the rear seats, popped a fuse in, and voila!

One thing that I really love about this car is the smell. My mum tested a second hand one of these on a dealers forecourt back in the day, and I swear to you I can remember the smell, and it’s EXACTLY THE SAME. Other smells that I can recall are limited to 2 stroke, the slightly oily smell of the x1/9 at full chat and MB-tex on a sunny day.

Aside from the FUEL CONSUMPTION, one downer is that it seems quite eager to scrape it’s belly on those central speed humps that you get everywhere in London. It’s got quite a low bit under the engine, perhaps something to do with the auto box or whatnot.

Any way, I love it. I'll accept no Saabstitute. Hats off to all former keepers, Vantman, Holbeck, Bramz.. Onwards!

It’s filty at the mo, so I’ll do a wrong ‘un and get some snaps for y’all.

• By phil_lihp
      Rather than starting a topic for every car I reckoned it might be better if I just dumped my motory musings in here.

The fleet is rather unexciting these days, currently consisting of the camperised ex-roofer's van Hiace and the ex-Cavcraft/dieselnutjob Rover 420.

First off, the Hiace, it's absorbed a fair amount of my life (and income) in the last few months. I've managed to turn it from a tatty, scruffy old roofer's van to a slightly less tatty basic camper van.

It had a thread here:
      http://autoshite.com/topic/26065-hiace-shenanigans/page-4

Which I had completely forgotten about. It started out like this...

And now looks like this...

Radical difference, I know. Two proper windows professionally installed and a set of hubcaps plus a new towbar socket and a bit of cleaning. Most of the changes are on the inside, I will eventually gather all my photos together for the work done to line and insulate it and do a proper post if anyone's interested.

So, the Rover - bought with suspected HGF due to a problem with coolant bursting out of the header tank every time it warmed up, no wipers and a broken door handle, it has been perfectly reliable since after replacing the ill-fitting aftermarket header tank lid with a proper one and changing the knackered wiper mechanism. It has a brief thread here...

http://autoshite.com/topic/29568-ex-cavcraft-rover-420-t-series-not-k-series-available-probably/page-2

Mostly all I have done is make it dirty and add over 800 miles to it. Finally, this weekend it was time for some maintenance. First off, a trip to the local tyre centre and the slow puncture was repaired by re-sealing the wheel.

Investigation underneath showed nice newish brake pads and discs on the front and very little rust underneath. They confirmed that the noisy, rattly exhaust is down to a blowing manifold gasket and broken up rear silencer and cat insides. Most of the noise can be reduced with a new gasket and back box so I'll get around to that eventually, it's not bad enough to be a real problem yet.

I had a spare hour so started to get servicing bits sorted, it hasn't had one since 2014 so it's long overdue.

New spark plugs and air filter...

Plugs didn't look too bad but shiny new ones are an improvement. Next up, cam cover gasket which seems to be the source of most of the oil caked onto the block.

Finally, the thermostat needs changing as it never gets above 1/3 on the gauge and takes a long time to get there. This is where things went wrong. I took the housing pipework off and was greeted by this...

There is a thermostat wedged tightly into the rubber pipe, causing it to bulge, and nothing in the housing. It doesn't look right to me and the 'stat is properly wedged in there, I couldn't get it out. I think I'm going to have to replace the pipe in its entirety which is annoying, unless I'm barking up the wrong tree here. More annoyingly, I removed the plastic bleed screw on top of the pipe to see if it would help in pushing out the stat but it didn't and now the screw won't go back in - it seems to have been threaded onto a nut inside which has now dropped into the pipe. Bugger.

This is the new thermostat I have, which I now think is wrong for this model (it is the same one as correctly fitted the older 220SLi).

I suspect I need this one...

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rover-t-series-thermostat-pel10017-fits-620ti-a-c-and-420i-gsi-gsi-turbo-with-a-c

Any thoughts on that? Anyway, with the screw not going back in, it's stranded on the driveway for now until I can sort that particular little issue out.

To finish the job, it needs an oil and filter change plus a full coolant flush as the stuff in it now seems to be mostly brown water. The lumpy idle hasn't been fixed by the new plugs so I'll also change the ignition leads as they're possibly the originals and are caked in oil where they're attached to the ignition module. Removing and cleaning them seemed to improve matters slightly but it still sounds crap. That said, it revs cleanly and pulls very well, with plenty of power and smooth delivery so it drives extremely well despite this.
    • By egg
      From a recent haul. This first lot 50p each + postage. More to come.