The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

Is the TüV like the French CT in that it allows structural wob? That could explain it. Another explanation could be that it's a 50 year old Renault - my Renault is only 45 and has similar structural issues, despite looking reasonably OK from the top.

Mind you, as a serial P6 owner, you must be familiar with deceptive appearances, surely?

The good news is that my electrical tape beam benders worked perfectly. The bad news is that every time I looked out of the window, the car looked right back at me. 

post-17021-0-05897500-1497455320_thumb.jpg

Oh, the other bad news is that while marking the floor with yellow chalk, the chalk went through the floor. "Jab it with a screwdriver until you find solid metal" I was told. It just kept getting worse and worse. 

post-17021-0-31471400-1497455486_thumb.jpg

While this is the worst bit (I hope) all four corners of the floor have yellow chalk, as do both sills. The floors have a thick bitumen insulation coat, which does not make life any easier. 

C'est la vie.

The good news is that my electrical tape beam benders worked perfectly. The bad news is that every time I looked out of the window, the car looked right back at me.

eyes.jpg

Oh, the other bad news is that while marking the floor with yellow chalk, the chalk went through the floor. "Jab it with a screwdriver until you find solid metal" I was told. It just kept getting worse and worse.

C'est la vie.

Have you not got the tape on wrong? Surely you want to stop light coming out from the lights to the right and dazzling cars on the other side of the roads rather than the pavement???

Is the TüV like the French CT in that it allows structural wob? That could explain it. Another explanation could be that it's a 50 year old Renault - my Renault is only 45 and has similar structural issues, despite looking reasonably OK from the top.

Mind you, as a serial P6 owner, you must be familiar with deceptive appearances, surely?

I think half a century old Renault is explanation enough.

Although the TÜV certainly won't approve of structural wob, the last test was in January 2016, at which time the rust was probably a lot less perforant.

The TÜV might be a tad more lenient towards rust in non structural areas, with which we largely are dealing here.

These are merely the floorboards. The chassis beams and suspension anchorage points are sound, so appear to be the inner sills.

There is also only one giant rubber floor mat, which doesn't facilitate the evaporation of any water trapped inside the car.

R16 floor boards thus have to be replaced in regular intervals.

Just like 2cvs! Is the spares situation ok or will you have to get sheets made up?

Have you not got the tape on wrong? Surely you want to stop light coming out from the lights to the right and dazzling cars on the other side of the roads rather than the pavement???

I just looked at some photos of masks on RHD cars and then did it the other way round on the Renault, placing the tape over the fan shaped section of the lens. Worked. Perfect flat beam on the light tester thing. 

How did that pass a German TUV?

Thought they were really strict?

There's a box on there to check whether the car has its original radio or acceptable replacement. Maybe they're strict about all the wrong things?

Repair panels are available, but although I suggested them, the offer was declined.

True, but that was prior to the poking! Welder will see it tomorrow, I will ask him again if he wants the repair panels while he's looking at the extent of it.

Here is where we are after this evening's unpleasant bitumen scraping misery session:

post-17021-0-02418000-1497466124_thumb.jpg

Those two door cards are still on because I can't get the window winders off! You're supposed to press on a metal clip inside them, but it's easier said than done. At least I looked up how to remove them instead of forcing them, unlike someone in the car's past. The front two look like they were the star attraction at a screwdriver bukakke party. 

post-17021-0-18446200-1497466298_thumb.jpg

This is the offside rear floor, after a thorough prod. Not bad. 

post-17021-0-69598500-1497466372_thumb.jpg

Nearside front. Again, not the end of the world. 

post-17021-0-05909200-1497466430_thumb.jpg

This you saw. 

post-17021-0-83540300-1497466483_thumb.jpg

Nearside sill. This was so soft, it was mostly poked open with one finger! Much expanding foam removed. 

post-17021-0-79651700-1497466562_thumb.jpg

And finally, the offside sill and floor. Looks like someone had trouble finding the jacking point in the past too!

It'll be easy enough to cut it out and weld new metal in (says the person who took 2 years to fit 1 sill and patch a floor) but if you;re bothered about the floor looking right it's worth getting the floor pans.

I spent ages making up panels for my cortina floors and I wish I'd just stumped up and bought new ones.

It'll be easy enough to cut it out and weld new metal in (says the person who took 2 years to fit 1 sill and patch a floor) but if you;re bothered about the floor looking right it's worth getting the floor pans.

I spent ages making up panels for my cortina floors and I wish I'd just stumped up and bought new ones.

I agree that getting the repair sections wouldn't be a bad idea. They aren't that expensive, too.

Getting the replacement outer sills might be a tad over the top at this point, though.

Mistakenly while marking the sill. 

The A pillars appear to be sound. I checked them.

I admit that I didn't check the floorboards, since I know they need replacing each time you do a scheduled oil change.

I wonder why they aren't screwed in place.

Before the interior goes back in, can we lay down some sound deadening?

It's not removing the interior that sucks, it's installing it.

Let's make plans about which sound deadening would work best.

I'm thinking in some kind of Dynamat terms.

Sigi in Austria told me about something they use in those old Maseratis they do up.

It's some sort of tiles and you install them with a hair dryer. They thus conform to every crevice in the floor.

The stuff can't be expensive too, otherwise they wouldn't use it.