The butt ugly thread

Rusty Pelican

Vulgalour: There's the difference between straight lines used at the correct angles.

Used to randomly bisect curves along a flat plane? You gotta get it just right or it looks all wrong.

At least mine is just a regular three-box design that says "eighties". :P

Can't be too bad when people mistake it for other, more popular cars.

Phil

Me too. It's a cheerful looking thing that is clearly mental, but they've sold over a million now I believe. I'll have the full fat 240 bhp AWD Nismo version for a laughable 21 grand or the price of a Golf Turbo Dismal with a couple of options.

Good looking cars?

The current Astra. It's smooth, uncluttered, well proportioned and detailed.

You know what, they're more than acceptable to drive too. I had a 1.5dci version as a hire car for a week or two and it was a bit underpowered, but I imagine with a proper engine it'd be a hoot. I just think they've tried something different, and it paid off. This thread occured to me as I was sat at some lights in town, and watched a Citroen DS cruise past. Now that was a brave move at the time, it's a weird looking car. But it works, it's nice, I definitely would. 

My '64 Astra isn't bad at all, I do walk up to it in a carpark without thinking "oh" with that feeling of disappointment. Quite chunky looking, although almost identical to some others like Kia and Hyundai...

• 9 months later...

I recognise that Vanden Plas! Some of my old shite used to share that lock up with it.

Aye, that would be my old lock up - here are some more examples of bad things which happened there :shock:

22A4C25D-4931-4350-9563-19F1E8FDDF23-894

Strangeangel with his precision tool in hand

1BA14C1A-8B81-42B1-9AD6-E199A402E9D4-894

141809B6-3D8B-4590-9FF4-8F7EF8276F49-950

and finally young people dancing on allegro's at beatherder festival in lancs

0A7CB291-CEC8-4350-8ED1-C9130938401D-192

There is a lot more for another day :-P

Most of this type of Vauxhall is very nice, but what were they thinking at the front?  It's bos-eyed and it has the bumper running across the grille.  The owner of this one thought that wasn't bad enough so has added a badge bar!  Not only that, view this picture at full size and you'll see some Allegros squatting like a clump of bad potatoes on the hill behind it.  I *like* Allegros, but bugger me they have a lot of bad angles.

Vauxhall_Victor_FE_1760cc_first_register

I can't agree with this. The VX was a handsome beast, end of. All proportions just right, distinctive enough to be different and without having to shout, 'LOOK AT ME!'

This, however, is fugly. The start of the 'cars designed by Mr Blobby era'. 

2000-2001_Hyundai_Tiburon.jpg

Regarding the FE Victor, I read somewhere (so it must be true...probably) that it was styled to fit in with the contemporary Pontiac range because Vauxhalls were sold by Pontiac dealers in Canada and at one point it was anticipated the FE would be a big seller raking in literally billions and billions of dollars for GM and Luton. So therefore it had a "beak" like Pontiacs of the time. 

Anyway, although Vauxhalls had sold in steady numbers in Canada through the 60s, when the Firenza was launched it pissed a lot of people off by not working, catching fire, maiming some of its owners etc. So the FE never got its chance.....and GM decided in future that Luton couldn't be trusted to design new cars and Opel could do it instead.

An absolutely riveting anecdote, I'm sure you'll agree.

Anyway back to ugly cars. I nominate, not just the cars in this picture, but all the cars in this building. BMW have not made anything that hasn't been utterly repellent and offensive to the eye since...hmmm....1976 from memory

post-19620-0-24670800-1453563384_thumb.jpg

I agree about the Highandry Coupe - I dunno why having the bigger lights on the inside doesn't work, but it doesn't.

As for BMW - I sort of agree, except that I didn't much care for their 1976 range either.  In fact there are only 3 BMWs that I don't think are visually challenged - the current 1 series coupe - nicely proportioned all round, the old 8 series (that rocket ship one the footballers all had) and, er oh that was it.