Progress report on the FR-V:
After grinding the backplate down the drum handbrake decided to stick. Easy enough fix, adjusted it back and was rewarded with the disc beginning to grab. The previous owner had said something about swapping the slider pins around to sort a similar issue on the other side before the MOT, but this achieved the sum total of fuck all, along with cleaning and regreasing said pins and the calliper itself. Bemused at an apparently cursed rear brake system I bought a new caliper and fitted it without incident. Quick test drive produced no heat or noise so I treated it to a tank of diesel. Starting it up at the forecourt it started making a put-put-put type sound and the cabin filled with the unwelcome reek of diesel fumes. This was the day after reading about a certain other 2.2 Honda on the forum
So I convinced myself the exhaust manifold had given up. On civics it’s accessible from the bottom, on accords the top. It seems nobody has committed an account of the same job to the internet on the hunchbacked six seater so on Saturday I decided to have a look to see just how horrific it would be. Taking the plaggy cover off I was greeted with a black stain on and around injector 3, and sure enough firing it up saw it chuffing fuel towards the sky from there. At this point I made the mistake of reading a few tales of woe regarding stuck injectors etc, but it came out with a bit of persuasion and was notable in the absence of any o-rings, save for a burnt scrap of one stuck in one of the grooves. The internet proved fruitless as to finding replacements (only came up with copper washers which I can’t see any of) so a quick look in my drawer of random shit produced 2 of a reasonable fit. The injector/glow plug assembly looked like a fucking stalactite so a bit of time removing the Black Death from that resulted in something a bit more acceptable looking. Back together as the light faded and all was well. I should’ve taken pictures but everything has been done in the dark/rain/snow/a rush/a fit of rage. Hopefully it doesn’t keep giving me issues because it is a lovely car and I can’t think of a better fit for our current needs.
The tyres were shocking so rather than spend £250 on a set of decent ones I spent £110 on a set of nearly new falkens with some EP3 type R rims attached