Car shows?

AlabamaShrimp

Does anyone go to car shows with there every day car?

What I mean is there a car show in Wakefield his friend day and I'm thinking of taking my everyday driver fiesta that is far from perfect. I don't normally go to shows so do people take "normal" cars or is it all the shiny stuff that's dragged out?

Which one in Wakefield?

Classic shows normally have a 15 yr old cut off or something but if its just a car show (or a 'cruise') people just turn up in what they want AFAIK.

FIFTEEN years? 

I must be getting old, an Alfa 166, Volvo S80 or Smart Fourtwo don't sound like 'classic' cars to me, and on that definition I drive a classic. If I turned up at a classic car show with Peugeot 206's and Ford Focus's on show, I'd be fairly disappointed to say the least.

I've nearly always taken my daily, because most of them have been old enough to qualify for admission anyway!  In 2004 I had 3 cars on the road and took all three to one show: 1990 Chrysler leBaron convertible, 1988 MG Maestro 2.0i, 1980 Buick Century.  14, 16 and 24 years old (at the time).   That was a great day...

I showed the famous Cherry last year, which I'd specifically bought as a daily, and this year I've been showing my 1992 MR2.  As of this week though, that stops and I'll be showing... something else.  (Wait and see...)  Both MR2 and Something Else are daily drives, I can't afford to keep a car just for weekend showing!

Friends of ours have a classic car show every year in their village. As it's in aid of charity and most of the cars are local they are quite relaxed about  what they let in, but the post 2000 cars tend to be more sporting such as TVR, Porsche and Lotus. There are quite a few older daily drivers there, but they do tend to be immaculate and polished up for the occasion. I imagine that sort of thing applies to a lot of the smaller shows.

HTH

I was grumping about this to EssDeeWon on Sunday, at the Rochford show there was a 14 plate Merc SLK convertible and standard 02 plate Saab convertible, in resale silver, in the main show area. It does annoy me when stuff like this gets in, stuff that can be seen in any supermarket or company directors car park. While dross like this got into the show, a Renault 6 was banished to the far side of the visitors car park. I presume the owner didn't want to display, but stuff under about 10-15 years old getting into classic car shows is silly. Who cares if it's a "premium" brand, I don't want to see stuff like that in a classic car show.

The same people who view brand new Mercs as classic cars probably thought the 30 year old Sierra in the show was just an old banger that shouldn't be gracing the rally field.

Question: If you put your chariot of choice in to a show does that mean you get free entry?

if so then that could be why the supermarket car bashers are in there and they don't have to pay for the parking at the show! Double bonus!

Of course I could just be talking out of my arse!!

Question: If you put your chariot of choice in to a show does that mean you get free entry?

Depends on the show. Some yes, some not. Many of the bigger shows are anything but free, and most require pre-registration.

The shows where you just make an appearance on the day are on the way out. Greed for money is taking over everything.

Usually you get free parking in the classic zone when you visit autojumbles, though.

Interestingly, Tatton Park is still gleefully free for exhibitors, they only milk the spectators.

FIFTEEN years? 

I must be getting old, an Alfa 166, Volvo S80 or Smart Fourtwo don't sound like 'classic' cars to me, and on that definition I drive a classic. If I turned up at a classic car show with Peugeot 206's and Ford Focus's on show, I'd be fairly disappointed to say the least.

A few years ago I was a little paranoid at turning up at Cholmondeley in a scabby '92 Saab 900 but when I drove in behind a 1995 Cinquecento I honestly felt a lot better about myself.

I may attend this thing at Thornes park but there is precious little info about it online.

What time is it on? Do you have to pay to get in?

http://fleurdelyscvs.org/

It's a tie up between Fleur De Lys CVS and the local Rotary Club. Looking at the entry forms it's from 4pm until dusk and it's a fiver to get in - although I can't recall ever paying to get any of the many Thornes Park shows I've been to. 

Hopefully D_HIRST will be making an appearance. 

And yes, the information was quite hard to find - it took me about ten minutes bouncing between various sites (one of which suggested another event at Thornes Park on the 18th) to work out when it was and when it started. 

Most shows list the start times on their entry forms. 

I'm not really one for shows anymore, even as a spectator. I used to take whatever I had, that I thought people might be interested in, with the hope that I'd get in for nothing. At one show I had someone tell me off for not looking after my Morgan properly, who then didn't believe that it was my only car and that I was doing 30,000 miles a year in it. I have sneaked into a couple with a Trabant, been refused entry with a Scimitar SS1 (when there were MX5s on the field). I have also been asked to provide a car ( a rare one) for a club stand at a show, by people who normally would not speak to me because I wasn't in their clique.

The main thing that puts me off attending thses days is the cost to get in to see things I have seen before and not being allowed to leave when I've had enough.

I don't do many shows as they (well the owners, really) tend to bore me.   However it does boil my piss when I book in, say the Oxford, which promptly shits itself the day before and instead of taking the Minor or whatever I go in something else and park in the public car park.   Then, what do I see in the classic* display but a POS like the aforementioned SLK or PiTiful crooozer because their classic wasn't working or more likely they hadn't driven it for 9 months.  As my "playing fair" nature usually means that I have paid to get in (unlike Mr. Cardigan-over-his-shoulders SLK) I sometimes feel like waving my £1.50 programme at the organiser and demand to see the Rostyle-d MGB or whatever it was that he should have taken.....