Old Dealerships, Dealer Items.

Hendry

Perhaps Iceland no longer using Transits from Benfield is related to Benfield being taken over in its entirety by Lookers not that long ago. 

I have no idea where Enza Motors Merc commercials is/was, except to say there was/is around 5/6 Iceland stores local to me In Glasgow area, and all had vans from there. 

Barkers Citroen rings a bell, I used to work in a Citroen dealership so its possible ive seen one of theirs in our workshop before. 

The Skoda thing with the loss of franchises probably has a lot to do with the 2002 block exemption rulings in which the rules changed from you were either a full franchised dealer (so new and used car sales, service, parts, warranty, repairs) or independent with no franchise at all to suddenly you could have satellite branches of the main branch you had a franchise for, or some places went from full dealers to still being a main dealer franchise for service, parts, warranty, repairs and used cars but not new ones, and a lot of dealers lost franchise or the franchise changed hands to another dealer round about then.

Certainly it happened to 3 of the local Skoda dealers round here when Skoda suddenly wanted fancier new showrooms in better locations now they were VW owned and producing VW clones and getting good reviews, they basically forgot their roots and fucked over their dealers who had stuck by them when Skoda were a butt of jokes and poorly regarded eastern European manufacturer, Blair & Gray Kilmarnock lost theirs to Ingram in Ayr who were the longstanding VW and Audi dealer since the late 70s, Kerr Baillie Ardrossan lost theirs, seemingly because being a small dealer with another premises in the same town which was a Rover dealership, the Skoda stuff wasnt getting serviced, repaired and warranty work done at the Skoda showroom it was getting ran up to the nearby Rover dealership because they couldnt justify 2 sets of mechanics for the volumes of work they were getting, Skoda insisted they use a separate Skoda workshop with specific Skoda mechanics and not use the Rover ones, this dealer were too loyal to Rover having been a dealer since probably further back than the 70s, and it seems they made a catastrophic mistake picking Rover over Skoda. New Sneddon Motors in Paisley were the same in that Skoda wanted new premises and they werent having it so just closed down, so for around 10/11 years there wasnt a Skoda dealer in the whole of Renfrewshire until Arnold Clark acquired an old Gala Bingo in the retail park in Paisley they ran a lot of dealerships from, converted that to a Ford dealership, the former Ford dealership got converted into a VW dealership and the former VW dealership was awarded a Skoda franchise. 

We also had a big Skoda dealership ran by John Martin Group (at the time a big Edinburgh company) at London Road, Mount Vernon Glasgow which was formerly their Volvo and then Nissan dealership which shut round about the same time in 2002. 

Barkers ran in to major financial difficulties in 2008 and ended up in a court case with HMRC, the Kia dealers managed to remain open until 2010, but they too went under, one branch sold to SG petch, the other was simply closed

Would anyone have any Wolverhampton Subaru stuff? SVX has a 'JW' reg and I'm trying to work out who supplied it. 

Weirdly I seem to end up with a lot of Central London stuff. 

Amazon is KYO 5D, 460T is G392 VYO; probably the same dealership. 

Think D955 GYP (Piazza) would be central London, too. 

305 Estate's a weird one. Started out C200 ANG (was supplied by a dealership which now sell Yamahas in Norfolk hilariously two miles from where the S5 expired when wuvs picked me up) and ended up C979 CFG. 

Think the 960 (M458 VAJ) had a private plate at one point, but don't know where it came from. 

Polar Ford I think became part of Fords company owned dealer group "Trust Ford" (Not to be confused with the Wallace Arnold owned Trust Motor Group which was sold to Reg Vardy and is now owned and ran by Evans Halshaw now) along with Dagenham Motors, Heartlands Ford, and a few other Ford dealers who traded under different names. 

Polar Ford I think became part of Fords company owned dealer group "Trust Ford" (Not to be confused with the Wallace Arnold owned Trust Motor Group which was sold to Reg Vardy and is now owned and ran by Evans Halshaw now) along with Dagenham Motors, Heartlands Ford, and a few other Ford dealers who traded under different names.

So I just found out! I didn't know they had changed let alone to be some kind of subsidiary of Ford.

Would anyone have any Wolverhampton Subaru stuff? SVX has a 'JW' reg and I'm trying to work out who supplied it. 

Weirdly I seem to end up with a lot of Central London stuff. 

Amazon is KYO 5D, 460T is G392 VYO; probably the same dealership. 

Think D955 GYP (Piazza) would be central London, too. 

305 Estate's a weird one. Started out C200 ANG (was supplied by a dealership which now sell Yamahas in Norfolk hilariously two miles from where the S5 expired when wuvs picked me up) and ended up C979 CFG. 

Think the 960 (M458 VAJ) had a private plate at one point, but don't know where it came from. 

s1ko45.jpg

• 1 month later...

Im looking for a pair of overalls like the set i had at Vardys,

One at the front is what I had, cant find any on ebay! Keeping eyes open.

Seen loads of ex-dealer overalls for sale at places like the Dorset steam fair and Beaulieu A/J. Have several sets, Peugeot, Alfa/Fiat, MB Trucks, etc. Mostly in top condition too. You can get overalls, lab-coat type jackets, tee-shirts, sweat shirts etc,. Don't cost much either, literally a few quid. 

we bought this the other day.

it wasn't cheap, but i HAD TO HAVE IT.......

post-18270-0-88287600-1502307317_thumb.jpg

i guess this was a dealer ash tray, for BL dealers?

i know back in the day, Blue Bell garage in Middlesbrough was a BL dealer who could sell you anything from a Mini 850, upto an XJS. they are i think still going, now floggin' Vauxhalls :-(

in fact they got one of the last E-type convertibles, in BRG with a V12 engine.

it took them nearly 3 years to sell it, though at the time there was a 3 year waiting list on the XJS,, funny huh!

post-18270-0-73071600-1502307270_thumb.jpg

Im looking for a pair of overalls like the set i had at Vardys,

One at the front is what I had, cant find any on ebay! Keeping eyes open.

There's always a crap ton of those at the Malvern Classic Car Show and Autojumble: 

3oZKdBz.jpg

Here is Lord Sterling searching for some Rover overalls. 

we bought this the other day.

it wasn't cheap, but i HAD TO HAVE IT.......

attachicon.gifDSCN6559.JPG

i guess this was a dealer ash tray, for BL dealers?

i know back in the day, Blue Bell garage in Middlesbrough was a BL dealer who could sell you anything from a Mini 850, upto an XJS. they are i think still going, now floggin' Vauxhalls :-(

in fact they got one of the last E-type convertibles, in BRG with a V12 engine.

it took them nearly 3 years to sell it, though at the time there was a 3 year waiting list on the XJS,, funny huh!

Where from and do they have any more?

There's always a crap ton of those at the Malvern Classic Car Show and Autojumble: 

3oZKdBz.jpg

Here is Lord Sterling searching for some Rover overalls. 

If anyone sees a set of Rover let me know, I did have a pair that I took home! BUT they were in my old house and after it got burgled and all my tools went I think my overalls went too.

Would love to have another pair, though I think the top part was a jacket style not actual Overalls.

• 2 weeks later...