THAT abandoned dealer again Swadlincole

Alexg

Slightly off topic, but a dealer local to me used to have all manner of rotten, rotten chod down the side of his showroom - all with faintly ludicrous prices. I once enquired about a fire-gutted MkV Cortina that still had better wings than mine (somehow), and was told a firm £500, no lower. Every five years or so he'd get them all weighed in, then replace them with a new lot to sit and corrode. At the time I thought it was an insane business practice, but I've since been informed that there were significant tax 'advantages' in claiming a certain proportion of turnover was tied up in unsold stock, which was later written off as loss... I dunno how that was meant to work, but I loved seeing them as a kid.

Wonder whether the owner of this place maybe has the remaining cars in here linked financially to another business? Possibly a factor in the mystery of the Cav on SORN, but no others?

attachicon.gifEdwin Long - Rotten Row.jpg

attachicon.gifEdwin Long - Pony & Stellar.jpg

attachicon.gifEdwin Long - Datsun Stanza.jpg

Where is that fella?

Anyone fancy a mini meet here soon? Maybe the next weekend or so?

Maybe we could discuss saving the rest of these cars? As financially stretched as I am (running 2 homes in 2 countries) I am prepared to stick some money in the pot, lend a hand where I can.

I can’t pop over because Cornwall. However, I’d stick my hand in my pocket if there was a shared ownership thing going on, much like the Sierra base. Even if just the Rover is dragged out, it’d be achievement.

I'd be up for a meet or lending a hand etc if I can. As I said previously, I've got a ridge bar I've borrowed off a friend at the moment. I could use it to help pull a car out if he doesn't need it back before anything happens. :-D

Sounds a decent offer, chap. Just need to get enough interested parties to agree to club together financially and find a space for at least one of them. Rover seems the best option out of the lot if there’s were a group purchase going on.

Having said all that, if Tamworthbay’s comments are representative of the masses on here, it’s a non-starter :(.

I wouldn't recommend a meet here.

It's on a main road with no parking, you've got housing all around it and aside from a not-very-friendly-looking pub, nothing else to do. There's only a couple of cars left anyway and it doesn't sound like the owner is very chatty. I'd say with wheels being robbed etc, it wouldn't be long before the curtain-twitchers had the police turn up.

I'm fairly local as are a few people - if there's genuine interest to save something I'll happily turn up and lend brute force and ignorance to get cars rolling, but I can think of better places to spend a wintery day than a grassy slope near Swadlincote. Soz.

Heck, I'll even contribute a sensible amount of money, but I think the slow rate cars are being bought probably shows the relationship between the owners perceived value, and reality.

The fact the Rover now has no wheels and a stuffed window (at the very least) should be enough of a reality check for the owner that it’s currently worth the square root of feck all. I’m sure if people were serious, a conversation face to face with him should produce a reasonable outcome.

Where is that fella?

Yup, indeed Ards - snapped about seventeen years ago, so the Stellar, Stanza etc are long gone! I did go back in 2008 and took a few pics of the chod at the time (R21s, Subaru Coupes, Legacies - all completely borked with windows out and green with glar) - and the dealer saw me and went apeshit, threatening the police and all sorts. Nice chap. Here's all that's left now:

post-17915-0-09284000-1508957061_thumb.jpgpost-17915-0-55241500-1508957094_thumb.jpgpost-17915-0-97949400-1508957121_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if the owner still thinks he's got something along the lines of an Arnold Clark glass-walled paradise of used vehicles, but there's a distinct possibility he's a 13mm socket short of a whole toolkit. Or perhaps it's a really sore point that his dealership failed and the building is crumbling and scrotes keep nicking stuff. Still don't reckon saying "Mate, that Rover is knackered. I'll give you £100" will see you the proud owner.

I could probably come and lend a hand in getting things moving etc. It would be fantastic if all of the cars could be saved from further vandalism.

I wouldn't recommend a meet here.

It's on a main road with no parking, you've got housing all around it and aside from a not-very-friendly-looking pub, nothing else to do.

This, sadly. I had to park up a huge kerb whilst I had a nosey about.

SDC10769_zpsqhvcpbwa.jpg

I went to see these about 6 months ago. The rover was still £400 as it was or still is a customer's of his the cavalier was his mums and it had a new engine in it and it is full of rubbish and he wanted about 795 for it and the maestro was 595 with broken door handles. He told me a right tail of woe the story he told me was his 2nd wife died so his step kids wanoted half of everything including this place his house and his money even tho she wasn't entitled to any of it so he has let this place go to ruin until it gets sorted out he also runs another business from home and get this if all the cars go from here he will put some more there so it still looks occupied

Nothing can't be repaired. I've got wheels to put on this car, possibly a spare window and other bits and bobs that it might need, though mechanical parts I don't have but they can still be sourced.

If it's stood outside for 25 winters it's going to be utterly bolloxed, if it was something special like an etype or Jensen it might be worth it but what's it worth with an MOT on

I went to see these about 6 months ago. The rover was still £400 as it was or still is a customer's of his the cavalier was his mums and it had a new engine in it and it is full of rubbish and he wanted about 795 for it and the maestro was 595 with broken door handles. He told me a right tail of woe the story he told me was his 2nd wife died so his step kids wanoted half of everything including this place his house and his money even tho she wasn't entitled to any of it so he has let this place go to ruin until it gets sorted out he also runs another business from home and get this if all the cars go from here he will put some more there so it still looks occupied

Sounds like we should get him on here and sell him the idea of chod storage! Sure several members would find the place handy to store long termers, and he gets to keep it looking occupied! Would love to wash that rover though...

If it's stood outside for 25 winters it's going to be utterly bolloxed, if it was something special like an etype or Jensen it might be worth it but what's it worth with an MOT on

Lol, it's effectively been stood in covered storage, basically a garage without a metal door. It wouldn't be that bollocksed. Other cars from there have been bought and are being restored. Just because it has missing wheels and a window doesn't mean they can't be replaced.

I don't understand some of this 'it's fit for scrap' bollocks. I'm sure some are just looking at the photos and deciding it's condition through a bar-room experts eyes.

All I am doing is offering parts and some help if some shiters want to have a go at saving the cars. This forum isn't all about perfectly preserved cars with current MOT ala: The_Doctor.

I suppose if you saw my Rovers you'd be suggesting that I should scrap them eh?

How are they special*? Who cares what somethings 'worth'? If you like it and you want it then go for it, sod value* and all that other crap.