THAT abandoned dealer again Swadlincole

Alexg

Thing I see with the Rover is a car that 20 years ago would have been rendered "fit for scrap" due to a couple of relatively easy to resolve faults because it was a common old car.  Just wouldn't have been worth the effort of sorting.  It's the sort of car when we were in the trade we'd have just punted off to the auction if it came in as a trade in and we then found an issue with.

Now it's a far rarer car, it's far more likely that someone is willing to do the work to recommission it *and* do the work to replace the original stuffed head gasket, shredded gearbox or fried ECU that originally took it off the road.

If nothing else it must be worth something to someone as a parts donor.

I went to see these about 6 months ago. The rover was still £400 as it was or still is a customer's of his the cavalier was his mums and it had a new engine in it and it is full of rubbish and he wanted about 795 for it and the maestro was 595 with broken door handles. He told me a right tail of woe the story he told me was his 2nd wife died so his step kids wanoted half of everything including this place his house and his money even tho she wasn't entitled to any of it so he has let this place go to ruin until it gets sorted out he also runs another business from home and get this if all the cars go from here he will put some more there so it still looks occupied

At a loss to understand why he hasn't already filled up the empty spaces with scrap value shit, unless he really is THAT hard-up.

Well my opinion on this is that this type of long term storage is better than a garage. None of the still air and damp of a council garage.

I can't get excited about the two cars left, not my cup of tea but this is Autoshite, right??? Each to their own.

Although I did ask the bloke down the pub about them. You know, the one that is always there in the same place.

He told me would both be knackered years ago and would only be fit for scrap. He said the Rover would have a knackered head gasket and be rotten underneath, whereas the Maestro has a square steering wheel and the back window pops out when you jack it up. So there you have it. Weigh them in.

Well my opinion on this is that this type of long term storage is better than a garage. None of the still air and damp of a council garage.

I can't get excited about the two cars left, not my cup of tea but this is Autoshite, right??? Each to their own.

Although I did ask the bloke down the pub about them. You know, the one that is always there in the same place.

He told me would both be knackered years ago and would only be fit for scrap. He said the Rover would have a knackered head gasket and be rotten underneath, whereas the Maestro has a square steering wheel and the back window pops out when you jack it up. So there you have it. Weigh them in.

This man knows his stuff. For winter storage, you want an open barn with a force 7 gale blowing through it. Whenever I get a chance, I open the ‘up and over’ garage door AND the service door of my garage to, and I quote Alan Partridge, “Get a through draught going”.

I’d love to see that Raver get a second chance at life. I’ve got form, so mark me as an interested party yo.

This man knows his stuff. For winter storage, you want an open barn with a force 7 gale blowing through it. Whenever I get a chance, I open the ‘up and over’ garage door AND the service door of my garage to, and I quote Alan Partridge, “Get a through draft going”.

This.

A carport is far better for a car than a damp garage.

Granted, a bone-dry garage is even better, but in the absence of that....

• 2 weeks later...

The reason my Victor 101 lived was due to car port

It left the road in the decades ago and was kept in a windy lean-too until it was recovered in 2005.  So long, DVLA had lost the records.  It went through the MOT with minimal effort

I believe in car ports.

Who lives near this place?

With storage facilities?

And lots of mechanically minded friends?

Who'd be prepared to get them running if crowdfunding were in place?

What's that?

No-one?

Ah, bugger.

Im not too far,driveway space for 1 car but not s viable long term solution. I have tools and knowledge but sadly the body doesnt agree these days. Sure something can be sorted though?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Following Burnside's visit to the Swadlincote garage this week, and without wanting to fill up the other abandoned car dealership thread with discussion of this place, I thought I'd post an update.

I'm geographically challenged (Cornwall) and don't have any spare space for one of these hobos.

However, I mentioned previously that I'd be up for throwing a few groats in a biscuit tin to help fund getting one of the cars out of this place and potentially back onto the road, if others were also interested, and someone was prepared to take the lead.

Feasible? Of interest?

Or shall we just let them rot a while longer, before being torched and weighed in?

I like the trims on that Cav. What we should really do is pick the best one, rather than a specific model. If the Maestro looks a better bet than anything else, perhaps that should be chased?

It’s between the Cav and Rover for me. If ANY of the motors make it out of there and are brought back to life though, I’d be in support. I’m just amazed that they’re still hanging on in there.

Count me in for a few quid.

I’m miles away, and have no space left either but it’d be nice to see at least one of them saved. For me, pick of the bunch would be the Cavalier, they’re such superb cars and they just don’t seem to be attracting classic attention really like other cars. And they do deserve it imho. That one being a base makes with a bit of a story to it makes it even more appealing.

That’s not to say the other two shouldn’t be saved of course!

Well we appear to be gathering pace. I think its a case of setting out a plan now and see if we can make it work;

● How many cars are there to save (3? Rover, Cavalier and Maestro?)

● How much is needed to save these?

● Contact details for seller?

● Where can they be stored after buyage?

This has probably been done already on this thread, but AFAIK these were the first photos of this place we ever saw, they appeared on here way back in 2009, linked from John (formerly Rootes_arrow_1725, the forum member who led me to this place all those years ago), hope you don't mind me putting them here John...

4783188991_a94ab949c1_b.jpg1972 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE 1285cc FUE688K by JOHN, on Flickr

Untaxed since 1989

4783189191_280b9f4723_b.jpgDECEMBER 1991 LADA 1288cc SAMARA GL J547DRA by JOHN, on Flickr

Numberplate on retention

4783824860_b608d907e9_b.jpgNOVEMBER 1993 RENAULT T35D 2499cc L89HUD by JOHN, on Flickr

Scrapped, but evidently it got dragged out as it passed MOTs in 2012 and 2013.

4783825724_b1f9c2b68f_b.jpgMAY 1991 ROVER 820 SI 1994cc AUTOMATIC H630YRA by JOHN, on Flickr

4783825942_1ed55a7da7_b.jpgMAY 1991 ROVER 820 SI 1994cc AUTOMATIC H630YRA by JOHN, on Flickr

4783826320_7207cd561e_b.jpgAUGUST 1995 ROVER 1120cc 100 KENSINGTON SE N372VRC by JOHN, on Flickr

Untaxed since 2008

4783826486_5d82e0b7ea_b.jpgMAY 1992 SKODA 1289cc FAVORIT FORUM PLUS J34OBD by JOHN, on Flickr

Happily this one is on the road with valid MOT too.

4783827158_c3ba6a0bb8_b.jpgFEBRUARY 1990 VOLVO 1721cc 440 GL SR G833PRB by JOHN, on Flickr

Untaxed since 2006

4783193397_272a31cb70_b.jpgOCTOBER 1986 VAUXHALL 1598cc GL BELMONT D650FTC by JOHN, on Flickr

Untaxed since 1997

4783828110_986801c6d5_b.jpgAPRIL 1986 VAUXHALL ASTRA 1196cc C140ORG by JOHN, on Flickr

Untaxed since 1998

4783194327_c28a3c5a94_b.jpgAUGUST 1985 AUSTIN 1275cc METRO L C624LTO by JOHN, on Flickr

Untaxed since 2013, but no MOT history. I assume the tax date is a keeper change. i do recall seeing it for sale, sad that it seemingly fell off the radar.

29391048515_009ec77d61_c.jpgREAR VIEW by JOHN, on Flickr

There is also a back lot of garages, I doubt this has anything in it.

Sad that only one car survives so far.

Cavalier gets my vote too....I'd bung a few pence into a pot.

How do you find out about a number plate on retention Sam?

Well, I should have said assumed retention as the plate is unknown to both the vehicle check and MOT history gov websites, which usually only happens when the plate has been disassociated with a vehicle, as even long scrapped vehicles show up on the MOT checker.

Well we appear to be gathering pace. I think its a case of setting out a plan now and see if we can make it work;

● How many cars are there to save (3? Rover, Cavalier and Maestro?)

● How much is needed to save these?

● Contact details for seller?

● Where can they be stored after buyage?

Relvant questions. Hopefully someone on here will know some of the answers.

I'm happy to handle the donations side of things, if this were to happen.