The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 minute ago, sierraman said:

Eicher Premium I bet. 

Most likely, I'm expecting the red boxes of doom to land here any time soon. 

Not really a problem as long as they're from a reputable supplier i.e ECP and not eBay. They meet the safety standards, thats what matters.  They're crap and leave that horrid red dust, but his car, his choice! 

I wouldn't personally touch them with a bargepole when it's about £20 difference for better bits, but once again, people would  rather save the £20 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, MikeR said:

Door frames for the over 60s ...

I am sure they have some secret mind wiping device in them ...

whats else can explain the fact that I forget why I walked into a room ..

I'm certain it's to promote exercise - the back n forth 4 or 5 times is a health initiative 

Damn cars! I had an emergency un Tuesday, and had to go quickly, but the WagonR refused to start. Had to get a cab, but this is not the rant. 

Tracked it to not hearing the fuel pump at ignition ON. Checked the main relay and fuel pump relay, both working and powered at ignition ON. Checked fuses under hood, all good. Still no start. Yesterday managed to find the location of the small fusebox in passenger compartment, and started messing around with the fuses: all were intact, except the two that cover the ignition coils and the immobiliser, which had some oxide build-up on the terminals. Cleaned that off, and it fired straight away. Where's the grump, I hear you say? I took it for a spin and it left me stranded 2 miles away; went to a shop, and when I got out it started all right, but cut off and refused to start again. So I had to leave it there overnight. Now I have to arrange some transportation for the ton of metal to get it to a garage, and I'll be without a functioning car for about a week for the first time in almost 20 years.

The agony of toothache.

My dentist cannot get me in. No emergency appointments via 111 - they would simply tell me to go to my dentist as I am registered with one.

Everything in this country has gone wank in a short space of time. I may end up pulling it myself.

Number plate security . Stop them falling off , stop them being pinched , rattling , so when the C1s rear number plate screws looked a bit rusty and weak I decided to replace them ....  Good thing !! , 2 bits of cardboard held the rusty screws ,  number plates now screwed down with 4 good screws , front and rear !

IMG_20220714_104445.thumb.jpg.3d6533154139449cdf23f6a1f8d6cc6f.jpg

6 minutes ago, Wack said:

These  normally make me laugh, especially the SUVs with their I've paid 50k for this attitude but not this time 

What was he thinking 

He wasn't.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

The agony of toothache.

My dentist cannot get me in. No emergency appointments via 111 - they would simply tell me to go to my dentist as I am registered with one.

Everything in this country has gone wank in a short space of time. I may end up pulling it myself.

Ii feel your pain, nothing worse that toothache 

I got told off by 111 , I've never experienced pain like it , my wife has prescribed painkillers for nerve end pain 

He was horrified when I told him i'd taken two of them 

I said listen mate. It's that bad if somebody knocked on the door selling crack cocaine I'd be buying it so get me in somewhere 

We haven't had water since just before 1000 this morning.  Every hour the estimate for restoration of the supply seems to move forward another two hours.

Apparently pretty much the entire town is out plus a good few miles north.  According to the gent I spoke to on the phone a couple of hours ago this is because of a pump (yes, singular, not pumps) failure.  

Nice to know that essential services like a fresh water supply have plenty of redundancy built in.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

We haven't had water since just before 1000 this morning.  Every hour the estimate for restoration of the supply seems to move forward another two hours.

Apparently pretty much the entire town is out plus a good few miles north.  According to the gent I spoke to on the phone a couple of hours ago this is because of a pump (yes, singular, not pumps) failure.  

Nice to know that essential services like a fresh water supply have plenty of redundancy built in.

The Isle of Sheppey has had their water out for the last three days.  Burst main supplying the island.  It's getting restored now but it ran dry and it's taken another 24 hours for the pressure to re-build.

I got some bottled water the other day just in case , as we have had the water go off over the last few years , but then noticed the bog roll isle was nearly empty , is another lock down on the way ....

3 hours ago, Wack said:

These  normally make me laugh, especially the SUVs with their I've paid 50k for this attitude but not this time 

What was he thinking 

what went on there to make him stop , the water is only up to the sills ????? 

You are being told porkies.

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/households-in-milton-keynes-suffer-low-water-pressure-from-taps-and-schools-forced-to-close-due-to-no-water-today-3768195

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/households-in-milton-keynes-suffer-low-water-pressure-from-taps-and-schools-forced-to-close-due-to-no-water-today-3768195

https://inyourarea.digdat.co.uk/AnglianWater  search for Milton Keynes

40 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

If the 200 is anything like the 700 series the air intake will be down low behind the bumper.

thats a point , it ran a large pipe along the bottom of the rad to the air box from the air warmer on the maniflod

Image2806.thumb.jpg.86516b36336d082857fee166813c3081.jpg

Craptical Plastics this month... 

An admittedly fantastic restoration of a Golf Mk1, reading through it though a company did the bodywork and the local garage sorted out the mechanicals. Excellent, great it’s been preserved above all but it’s hardly had the chaps blood sweat and tears put into it.

Then a six page advertorial advertising Amazon Basics tools and saying they’re great. No they’re wank I’m afraid. If the makers of those suction ashtrays approached them they’d say it was brilliant.

Thats plus all the pages of bollocks about ‘marketplace’ action. I miss the days of it being about some bloke in a council lock up welding his Cortina with an extension lead from the house, buying bits from scrappers and having ‘a go’ or Peter Simpson showing you how to make some sills out of an oven tray or whatever. It’s very, forgive the phrase... middle class now, chequebook restorations and speculative investment. 

17 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Craptical Plastics this month... 

An admittedly fantastic restoration of a Golf Mk1, reading through it though a company did the bodywork and the local garage sorted out the mechanicals. Excellent, great it’s been preserved above all but it’s hardly had the chaps blood sweat and tears put into it.

Then a six page advertorial advertising Amazon Basics tools and saying they’re great. No they’re wank I’m afraid. If the makers of those suction ashtrays approached them they’d say it was brilliant.

Thats plus all the pages of bollocks about ‘marketplace’ action. I miss the days of it being about some bloke in a council lock up welding his Cortina with an extension lead from the house, buying bits from scrappers and having ‘a go’ or Peter Simpson showing you how to make some sills out of an oven tray or whatever. It’s very, forgive the phrase... middle class now, chequebook restorations and speculative investment. 

Blame quantitative easing leading to asset price inflation.

Just now, artdjones said:

Blame quantitative easing leading to asset price inflation.

I don’t know I don’t buy into this ‘great investment’ bollocks with them. A £20-30k into Hargreaves Lansdown doesn’t require garaging, tyres and welding. I’m sure you can make a pretty penny but not when you factor in your time and effort. That said if you buy it and it’s a hobby then it is an added bonus if it hasn’t halved in value. 

24 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

1946648659_MVIMG_20220714_1628152.thumb.jpg.9a3ab29052fdca19f67aa4c369b74fc8.jpg

🤦‍♂️🤣

It had to be! Either that or those fake Mintex kits off eBay. I have fitted those Eichers before, on bangers but they were ok in that they stopped the car but the pads clanked about in the carriers. If it’s budget Comline are much better. Other than that Bendix, APEC or Pagid. 

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

I got some bottled water the other day just in case , as we have had the water go off over the last few years , but then noticed the bog roll isle was nearly empty , is another lock down on the way ....

what went on there to make him stop , the water is only up to the sills ????? 

Hopefully electrical failure rather than hydrolocked 

Insurance renewal is up £80 from last year. £382. I was annoyed. But even more so that I've looked at a million places and I can't get it any cheaper. Nobody else gets anywhere close!  £566 is the best so far. 

21 hours ago, Bren said:

The agony of toothache.

Have you a dental hospital near you?

If so then if you just turn up - here it has to be early, 7 a.m. ish, they will almost always see you.

On 7/13/2022 at 2:40 PM, sierraman said:

Why are people so angry these days? Took the kids to the beach and some absolute bell end was having a go at the young lass offering donkey rides getting in her face trying to intimidate her on the premise he thought it was cruel to the donkey (despite the Donkeys clearly being well looked after and happy). Looked like same sort of dickhead that would wander round auditing somewhere looking for a reaction. 

I'd like to see him trying that with the coaches on blackpool promenade , he'd be in the back of a transit in seconds 

Was he recording it on his phone. It's all about social media , the 5 minutes of fame is now tiktok, Instagram, Facebook followers 

They're the professionally offended when in reality without social media they couldn't care less, 

39 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Have you a dental hospital near you?

If so then if you just turn up - here it has to be early, 7 a.m. ish, they will almost always see you.

Most if not all dentists have slots reserved for emergency treatment.  Mine certainly has, but you have to ring them before 8.30 and specifically request it, and tell them it hurts!  Others must have a similar system.