The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 7/15/2022 at 4:01 PM, MikeR said:

premium bonds , we have won on average 3 to 4% a year ..

or buy a car , or two , or more

Three prize wins this month. First multiple win- still only £25 each but still better than the six figure sum i have in my isa.

BuT iT wAS HoT iN 1976 wHEn I WaS YoUNg. I was fiiiiiine.

Ah yes boomer speak of hot summers and lazing round in the park eating golly bars and not a care in the world. 

At 6pm last night went to an elderly patient with heat stroke. Actively fitting. Temperature of 42. That's heat stroke, getting a bit hot and feeling unwell is Heat exhaustion. Heat stroke can kill, it's absolutely lethal and we shouldn't be seeing it in the UK. It's fucking mental, the anti climate change "it's just weather" nutters can get in the sea, least itll be warmer for them now... 

On 7/15/2022 at 4:01 PM, MikeR said:

premium bonds , we have won on average 3 to 4% a year ..

or buy a car , or two , or more

This. you are making nothing now, so you have nothing to lose, and your cash is totally secure.

They tell me a few separate accounts, and cash in, then re invest a little now and then can help.

It obviously does nothing, but wins have come after account activity for someone in my family.

2 hours ago, Spurious said:

Ah yes boomer speak of hot summers and lazing round in the park eating golly bars and not a care in the world. 

At 6pm last night went to an elderly patient with heat stroke. Actively fitting. Temperature of 42. That's heat stroke, getting a bit hot and feeling unwell is Heat exhaustion. Heat stroke can kill, it's absolutely lethal and we shouldn't be seeing it in the UK. It's fucking mental, the anti climate change "it's just weather" nutters can get in the sea, least itll be warmer for them now... 

How do people think that people get by in Spain for example? 

Anyhow in 2-3 years it’ll all be sorted out once we’ve all got electric cars and heat pumps. I reckon after 5 years the air will be that clear you’ll be able to see Leeds from London. 

6 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Anyhow in 2-3 years it’ll all be sorted out once we’ve all got electric cars and heat pumps. I reckon after 5 years the air will be that clear you’ll be able to see Leeds from London. 

Quite, 46 at my mother's today, she just stays in out of the sun, it's just weather. 

2 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Quite, 46 at my mother's today, she just stays in out of the sun, it's just weather. 

When you go round these old villages inland in Spain and there will be some old fella sat on a stool and he looks like he’s seen a hundred summers, he hasn’t got that way by laying on a fucking sun lounger 8 hours a day. A bit like these warnings everywhere that say ‘don’t forget to drink enough it’s hot weather’, if you can’t figure that out then you’ve nobody to blame but yourself. 

2 hours ago, Spurious said:

Do you actually know anything about 1976? The highest temperature yesterday was 33 Deg. It was 32.2 or over somewhere in the UK for 15 days in a row that year, with 5 days over 35. But I don't remember any hysteria. Also, people die of heatstroke every year in the UK.

We're having a hot spell now, but from what I saw, until a few weeks ago it was an unusually cold summer, with midday temperatures of 13 - 15 some days in June.

4 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Do you actually know anything about 1976? The highest temperature yesterday was 33 Deg. It was 32.2 or over somewhere in the UK for 15 days in a row that year, with 5 days over 35. But I don't remember any hysteria. Also, people die of heatstroke every year in the UK.

Today's predicted high temperature is 4 degrees hotter than any day during the 70s or 80s. There you go. 

On 7/16/2022 at 4:31 PM, MrGTI6 said:

Just got back from picking up a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander from Devon this morning. I wanted something (relatively) modern and nice for commuting, and to use as a family bus. Found one a long way away but it looked good and well-priced. 

About 10 miles into my 250-mile drive it suddenly felt down on power. No warning lights or anything, but it wouldn't go above 70mph on the flat, and on steep hills speed started to drop. On one particular (very steep) hill, it went as low as 45mph and I had to drop down a couple of gears. 

On downhill sections it would get up to 80mph+ and I spent most of the journey trying to carry as much momentum as possible. 

Acceleration was noticeably lacking on slower roads. It keeps pace with traffic but it's definitely not right. 

I'm hoping it's something simple but I'm wondering if it's perhaps the turbo. The engine sounds sweet and there's no untoward noises or warning lights. It even managed 44.3mpg.

I'm gutted as the car should clean up really well and it's fully-loaded with huge spec. I just haven't got the energy for this. Maybe I'll feel differently in the morning... 

Is it a PSA engine or a VW one? 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

They say folks have died here due to the heat.

Our eating times are different too. Offices for things like councils, tax, etc all close in the pm. Shutters down on the windows too. Basically nothing gets done.

Should add that public transport does still run as timetabled.

3 hours ago, artdjones said:

We're having a hot spell now, but from what I saw, until a few weeks ago it was an unusually cold summer, with midday temperatures of 13 - 15 some days in June.

Where's the hysteria? I just see messaging about drinking plenty of fluids and not leaving your bairns in hot cars. Advice isn't hysteria and these temperatures genuinely are dangerous. 

so I check the M6  north to Lancaster way this morning  ...  and it has roadworks . to fix /renew some railings , priority job of the year in this heat ????

unlike an mp I will declare my interest in this route , its to get rid drop off the wife tonight whilst the temp is low ..

so appart from causing traffic q's with overheting nuns and melting kittens ..which may also contain breakdowns ( including marriges ) 

some poor sods have to work in this sun/heat with protective gear on ..

I wonder what  expert twonk  did the RA on this and said lets go for it !

Holy shit. Bought big fancy Costco tyres online 3 weeks ago, 2 for £300. 

I've had no updates from them, the warehouse never called me and I've been given some bollocks each time I've called. 

Called up customer service one final time to be told 'they were delivered on July 4th, you'll need to call the warehouse'. I asked for a refund and was told it's 3-5 days to get my money back. They cancel my order and initiate a refund, about 2hrs later I get an email from the warehouse confirming the tyres have arrived. Absolute fannies, won't bother renewing my membership as the warehouse is jam-packed 24/7 with some of the worst people on earth. 

Trying to find somewhere else to do tyres and they're all fucking shite. My national tyres has loads of reviews for massive waits and physically aggressive staff, Kwik fit want £350 for the same tyres and do a free alignment 'check', blackcircles' tyre fitting place has loads of bad reviews about their inability to balance tyres. 

9 hours ago, sierraman said:

When you go round these old villages inland in Spain and there will be some old fella sat on a stool and he looks like he’s seen a hundred summers, he hasn’t got that way by laying on a fucking sun lounger 8 hours a day. A bit like these warnings everywhere that say ‘don’t forget to drink enough it’s hot weather’, if you can’t figure that out then you’ve nobody to blame but yourself. 

The Spanish do not drink copious quantity of water(or any other beverage). The food is laden with salt. Wine with lunch time meals. Hardly any veggies. That is the "Mediterranean Diet"