Should I or shouldn't I (buy this BMW)

carlo

Have been very tempted by these for quite a while and one's turned up on my doorstep which looks quite nice:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201403062305976/sort/locasc/usedcars/postcode/pl210nf/radius/1500/model/3_series/quicksearch/true/make/bmw/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-to/1500/page/1?logcode=p

They still seem to be relatively inexpensive.  I expect I'll go and have a look tomorrow, will I be entering a world of pain?

A mechanic told me that those old NA BMW straight sixes are one of those good strong engines that go on and on as long as they're looked after. Skip a service and trouble starts pretty soon after. Makes sense when you think about it, unstressed but complicated. That's not too leggy, has a f.s.h and looks like it's been cared for. Buy it and be a winner.

Ive been owning straight six BMs for the last 6 years (323i, 523i, 330ci), as Partridge said they are bullet proof just watch for overheating as these originally came with plastic impellors in the water pumps but most have been recalled and corrected by now. The E36 I owned was a bloomin good car, like most of them now they are only as good as their Service History so make sure this is proper, not just a few receipts and MOT certs knocking about. When I buy a BMW it must have FSH and I mean, FULL service history.

Anything over a grand for an E36 now (non M3) should be pretty good, as there are now plenty knocking about for £600/700 quid.

Little tip when buying an old BMW straight six, with the engine running/ticking over just remove the oil filler cap. it should start running a little 'off' but if it stalls completely walk away.

Isn't this about the time that people on a less cosy and loving forum than ours would begin a ten page argument about Nikasil liners or some such.

For all I know or care about post '88 BMW's, they could be knicker seal panty liners.

EDIT - Apologies, that sounded a bit grumpy and contained no useful information whatsoever. I've given myself a stern talking to.

I've often eyed up those 328i bmws, I think they're largely forgotten about due omg m3 mania, yet on paper they're not slow and if you find an un Barried one a discrete way to get about quickly.

i would vote for a saloon like that one with the stock wheels for maximum discreteness. untill about 04/98 build these engines had Nikasil bores so go for a later one , check its been done under warranty, or if the cars cheap assume its not an issue if the car runs and goes well enough.

I own several BMWs E36 328i Coupe sport, 323i Coupe sport, M3 convertible and my wife has an E46 330Ci, they are not bullet proof and the bills can be large but they are good cars. Remember fuel comsumtion 22mpg if you enjoy the performance 30mpg if you drive for economy. Looks good to me, go for it subject to the usual inspection.

Little tip when buying an old BMW straight six, with the engine running/ticking over just remove the oil filler cap. it should start running a little 'off' but if it stalls completely walk away.

Sounds like a good tip, at the risk of appearing stupid what would the stalling here mean was wrong?

328i is a lovely car but the E36 is really unloved for now so the ultimate shitests BMW. The 328i is as quick as you'll need a car to be and parts aren't too expensive and BMW stock EVERYTHING if you can stomach paying for it

That's strong money for one even a relatively low miler so I'd want to make sure it was tip-top before parting with my cash.

I.e No rust, no steam, no holes in the seats, a working handbrake, no warning lights on the dash, no clonking from the suspension, no wheel wobble at 56mph.

@OP - It exposes any weak cylinders, mis-firing and vacuum leaks, a strong healthy BMW engine will still run with the oil cap off, maybe the RPM will drop slightly but any of the previous mentioned problems will be exposed by removing the oil cap with the engine running warm.

When I had the E39 my dad removed the oil cap one day and the RPM dropped suddenly, so I posted this issue on a BMW forum and was told its completely normal for the car to do this, its only if it completely stalls and dies then you have probs/potential probs in the not too distant.

I like my E36, quick enough and cheap parts around if you look.   Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said about cooling, water pump etc.   Interior may not be shown as the door cards are crap and fall apart.   Later ones are better though, mine's a '93.