Who should get the chop? It's.... the P38!

N Dentressangle

A year ago I bought a Disco 300TDI. Manual, 140k, leather etc and a decent bus. Went through a new MoT last month, no awful rust and mechanically really sound. Worth £2.5ish

2 months ago I picked up a P38 bargain. V8 auto, 125k. Also in decent condition. MoT til Nov, and will probably need a few ball joints for the next one but nothing more. Worth £2kish

That kind of money won't change my life, and I like them both in different ways. Which one should I sell?

7OhiLNE.jpg

EpZUsu8.jpg

EpZUsu8.jpg

npRcYzj.jpg

CBbZvtG.jpg

The Disco is all anyone needs in a big 4x4, but the constant threat of rust is a very real thing!  I sold my lovely 300TDi because it was breaking out everywhere, and it was a very decent London car all its life with no obvious grot a year previously.

P38 on the other hand is very rust resistant by LR standards, as I'm sure you know.  It's just the 15mpg thirst and liner slip threat of the V8 that would put me off.

In conclusion, sell both and buy a Ssangyong Rexton 😆

Bye bye Disco, though it has to be said they are a much less common sight than they once were and are surely going to be out of banger territory soon. I am pleased to have played a part in killing them off, I can't put my finger on it but there's just something I've never liked about them. Which is stupid as I adore Range Rover classics which are just the same underneath. 

Do you prefer welding or working on electrics?

Out of all the vehicles I've sold over the years I miss my p38 the most, it actually gave me 2 years of trouble free motoring after I replaced all the broken bits, the V8 D1 is a close runner up though.

What are you intending to do with them? If wanting to play off road then Disco - if not then wafting and RR is the answer. Perhaps it was my Disco at fault, but it never felt as planted and plain old nice to drive as the P38. Both were V8 - but I always swerved to the P38 for any journey if the (now ex)GF hadn't already bagged it.

If you REALLY have to sell one, p38.

That's if the Disco is really as rust free* as you say, it's only going to go up in value. (Would get rid of the front bumper though and stick a standard one on!).

A nicely specced 300tdi effectively is a range rover classic with a different suit on.

P38s are lovely things in their own right, and are sort of hitting that retro cool bubble now as well, but kinda feel the 4.0 is the one most people don't REALLY want. They'd go 2.5td for less terrifying MPG's or balls to the wall 4.6 if seeking one out.

On 5/3/2022 at 5:38 PM, motorpunk said:

Bin the disco. They looked scruffy and shite when new, and haven't aged well, plus rust and BL bits.... one of the few cars that have never appealed to me, personally. 

How can you be so hurtful? ;) Just look at it:

WqkS93w.jpg

RLwkWn0.jpg

S3MPxp4.jpg

Ferrari used to dream about creating designs with this kind of coherence, artistic language and classical beauty.

And the shonky BL bits just add to the charm if you ask me 🤣

Make it a seventh vote to keep the Disco. The RR is a nicer car for sure, but the Disco is the one that you'll say "I shouldn't have sold that one" when they're commanding 20 grand for a really good one in a few years' time...

On 5/3/2022 at 12:00 PM, scruff said:

Bye bye Disco, though it has to be said they are a much less common sight than they once were and are surely going to be out of banger territory soon. I am pleased to have played a part in killing them off, I can't put my finger on it but there's just something I've never liked about them. Which is stupid as I adore Range Rover classics which are just the same underneath. 

I hope it's not stupid as I feel exactly the same way, I can't stand the things. 

I was given a V8 one once that was an apparent non runner. 

Put a good battery on it and changed a few fuses and she went on the button but the drive back to the workshop convinced me LR life wasn't for me. Fine if you need a proper off roader but useless on the road, worst handling I've experienced I think ever, and I've owned a jeep cherokee. 

Of course they're totally different cars and era but getting back in my ML made the disco look like something that a man with a red flash should be walking in front of and the merc like the starship enterprise. 

Keep the Disco! It will be rusty underneath the paint :-) but at least the electronics will mostly behave. I had both, sold both and now have 2 Discos, one of which (the TD5) will go. The TDI is staying, and I have just spent as much on repair panels as I paid for the car, but nothing with 4x4 and a 3.5 tonne towing limit is as practical as a Disco.

The P38 was a better car to drive, but for everything else it is the Disco.

8:7 :-) 

Keep the Disco.

My mental Dad has just spent the best part of €5, 000 having his 300 Tdi Discovery welded and made roadworthy after 3 years sitting in his garden in France Luckily the 2008 Defender he bought to replace it seems to have increased in value by twice that in the time it’s taken him to realise what me and my brothers told him when he bought it- They’re horrible unless you have real reason to own one, Discovery’s are nice to drive because of the Maestro and Metro bits. He’s got his Series 1 if he wants discomfort and punishment, at least that’s got character.

Saying that , I’m supposed to be finding. A non- money pit Disco3 for MrsN and keep noticing some very nice looking P38’s…