The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

On 7/1/2023 at 4:28 PM, MrGTI6 said:

Been for my first proper ride today. 

I'm getting much more confident getting the bike up/down the ramp onto the patio in the garden. Sounds like a really daft thing to be pleased about, but moving the bike under its own power without being sat on it was causing me a huge amount of stress and anxiety. As a result I was overthinking it, which made things ten times worse! But today it seemed like a doddle. What was all the fuss about!?

Really enjoyed being out on the bike and it rides really well! I'm delighted with it, and it really doesn't feel 24 years old. It feels very quick to me and sounds great. I was taking it gently, probably going slower than I would have been in the car at times!

Definitely need to keep getting out to build up my confidence/experience. On a few occasions I found myself revving the engine when using the front brake, rolling up to junctions/roundabouts at 4000rpm like a twat! And at one point I must have ridden half a mile with my indicator still going. Ended up pulling away in 2nd a couple of times too.

Can't wait to get back out on it again. I certainly need the practice!

Only indicating for half a mile, amateur!

Practice makes better, then you relax and realise you're still not that good when something goes wrong and then practice makes better.

Just keep at it, and don't be like most car drivers who seem to think that once they've past their test there is nothing left to learn, and you'll be fine.

59 minutes ago, 5speedracer said:

Only indicating for half a mile, amateur!

Yep!, I was behind my mate on a ride the other week and he must have had his left indicator on for at least 3, even with me flashing him and doing the universal blinky hand gesture, he realised when he went to overtake, happens to us all @MrGTI6

Well I test rode the new cb500x at my local dealer and loved it . So smooth and easy to ride compared to what I’m used to . 
I’ve got my enduro bike and track bike for speed thrills so I’m just looking for something turn key rideable and it seems to tick all the boxes .

Unfortunately the dealer cant get one for nearly two months ! 
So I’m currently looking at a used one with 671 miles on the clock in Huntingdon .

Thundercat is sold ( back to its old owners son which is nice )

It's so good though, it really is.

Nothing against a parallel twin, I was very close to a 500x or a Yamaha Tracer 7/MT-07.. but the SV engine, even at it's age is just so good... Now with two plugs per cylinder and with the newly refined fuel injection.. so very good.

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

Well I test rode the new cb500x at my local dealer and loved it . So smooth and easy to ride compared to what I’m used to . 
I’ve got my enduro bike and track bike for speed thrills so I’m just looking for something turn key rideable and it seems to tick all the boxes .

Unfortunately the dealer cant get one for nearly two months ! 
So I’m currently looking at a used one with 671 miles on the clock in Huntingdon .

Thundercat is sold ( back to its old owners son which is nice )

It's why I ended up with the NC750X. I have the Himalayan for the gravelly stuff (too old for a two stroke enduro bike now), Street Triple for hooning around the local mountain roads, and a scooter for nipping into town.

The NC won the vote over anything else because of the deal the dealer gave me (discount and freebies), almost immediate delivery, its reputation for reliability, and that 80mpg is easily attained. It's a nice, relaxing bike to tour around on.

3 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

Loved my old cb500. Still have it. The x has a lot of appeal and not discounting it as an all rounder. Am lead to believe they need a fair bit of work to do any serious off road which i love. Think id miss the bhp drop from the old lump too as that was mostly just quick enough. 

The 22 model is meant to be a lot better suspended . I’m sure I won’t be able to resist taking it down a few lanes so I’ll report back 

On 7/6/2023 at 8:49 PM, twosmoke300 said:

Yeh I just wanna bimble about and not be frustrated with going slow because I’m with the missis or stuck behind a car etc 

Twins are great for that. Being a bit of a prick i find that i just cant help myself gunning the shit out of any bike i own. Bimbling only happens if i borrow a mates bike or when the shaft was packing up in the gs.  Bought a cg 125 to slow down and save fuel. Ran lean at the top so up jetted it for more power and did 65 everywhere before realising that the double drum brake set up really wasn't up for the slowing down fast as most my riding is in town! I am an idiot. 

On 7/6/2023 at 8:49 PM, twosmoke300 said:

Yeh I just wanna bimble about and not be frustrated with going slow because I’m with the missis or stuck behind a car etc 

There's nothing worse, even on a very slow bike, than ditherers in cars in front of you. 

14 hours ago, 808 Estate said:

New baby Triumph 400X looks tidy. :D

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/bikesocial/2023-june-images/2024-triumph-scrambler-400x-review/2024-triumph-scrambler-400x-technical-review-price-spec_35.ashx?h=493&w=740&la=en&hash=7D37027651DF7C0B3432121D742B3C456BBCA8B4

The slightly off-putting thing about that is that it looks like a Chinese 125. 

The brilliant little ex @Sir Chocolate Teapot GS 125 flew through her MOT this morning. No advisories either, not bad for a 25 year old 125. It has obviously been well looked after in its life, the engine is sweet as a nut, virtually no corrosion anywhere and it still has all the original warning stickers on the frame. For me it's perfect for my commute, 90mpg, £25 a year tax and £60 a year fully comp insurance. This is (almost) free biking at its best. Even the tester commented on how good it was 

IMG_20230710_103135.jpg

17 hours ago, 808 Estate said:

The Scram 411 has been on my radar a while and is very appealing. I need to try out both options. :D

Prices may crash when the 450 Himi comes out later in the year as well if you are looking at used.

Do you prefer the aesthetic of the Scram over the Himi?

1 hour ago, tom13 said:

Prices may crash when the 450 Himi comes out later in the year as well if you are looking at used.

I do. Think it just looks all round sexier. Looks like the Himi is the better bet for the dirt though. They are cheap too. Would like to try one out have just spotted theres a dealer just up the road in Bethnal Green think a bit test ride is in order. Wonder if i can get a weekend test and see what its like to live with. 

I really love a T7 though even the crashed ones are out of reach.

Edit, Dealership not answering phone. 

Edited by Rustybullethole

3 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

I do. Think it just looks all round sexier. Looks like the Himi is the better bet for the dirt though. They are cheap too. Would like to try one out have just spotted theres a dealer just up the road in Bethnal Green think a bit test ride is in order. Wonder if i can get a weekend test and see what its like to live with. 

I really love a T7 though even the crashed ones are out of reach.

See I am not a fan of the Scram personally but each to their own. The whole scram scene is a bit poser for me though.

Yeah they are such good value for money. I looked at a Himi or a CRF300L but was concerned about it being more of a theft magnet and I wanted luggage options. Used market is crazy cheap even now.

9 hours ago, tom13 said:

Thats true. Definiutely something to watch.

I do. I cant dent they Himmy is in a class of its own for technical offroading and if thats what I was doing then, yes its a great bike. I probably only venture on a few gravel tracks or a mates field now and again. That along with commuting makes the Scram a better option for me. I like its simplicity, but lack of power might be an issue.. I am far from svelte. :D

On 7/9/2023 at 1:32 PM, straightSix said:

Prices not released yet but they seem to think it will be about £5k. I think I prefer the speed 400 of the two

I can see the Triumph being priced anywhere between £6k and £7k, putting it above the market of RE and others. No idea what the 450 Himalayan will be priced at, nor what it's Euro specification will be. The 411 is a great bike if used as intended, which is not hammering up and down motorways (although I have done that on mine with no issues)

On 7/10/2023 at 12:12 PM, andyberg said:

The brilliant little ex @Sir Chocolate Teapot GS 125 flew through her MOT this morning. No advisories either, not bad for a 25 year old 125. It has obviously been well looked after in its life, the engine is sweet as a nut, virtually no corrosion anywhere and it still has all the original warning stickers on the frame. For me it's perfect for my commute, 90mpg, £25 a year tax and £60 a year fully comp insurance. This is (almost) free biking at its best. Even the tester commented on how good it was 

IMG_20230710_103135.jpg

Used one some years ago for a couple of months commuting into London, mostly on motorway and dual carriageway. It wasn't as horrendous as I thought it would be, hence two months and not two trips. Felt solid and well screwd together  when compared to a CG125, themselves not bad bikes.

20 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Used one some years ago for a couple of months commuting into London, mostly on motorway and dual carriageway. It wasn't as horrendous as I thought it would be, hence two months and not two trips. Felt solid and well screwd together  when compared to a CG125, themselves not bad bikes.

I agree, it feels quite solid. I haven't taken it flat out, it just seems wrong thrashing a 4stroke single to 10,000 rpm. I barely go over 6-7,000 rpm, even that sounds awful. Yet I'll happily redine my GT185 two stroke🤷 I guess the sound is more addictive.

18 hours ago, 808 Estate said:

Thats true. Definiutely something to watch.

I do. I cant dent they Himmy is in a class of its own for technical offroading and if thats what I was doing then, yes its a great bike. I probably only venture on a few gravel tracks or a mates field now and again. That along with commuting makes the Scram a better option for me. I like its simplicity, but lack of power might be an issue.. I am far from svelte. :D

The midrange torque is excellent so your weight won't be much of a factor. Let us know how you get on when you test it. When I tested the Himi I knew straight away I wanted one.