The Wedgister - Princess and Ambassador Records

vulgalour

• 2 months later...
On 02/01/2022 at 14:43, vulgalour said:

No Suffix/Prefix - 4 entries

These vehicles either have the older style plate without a prefix/suffix or a less usual format.  They may have been interpreted incorrectly.  If you know the correct registration, please do let me know.

2111689197_0-NoLetter.thumb.jpg.466b5cf26874e01346919017ed4e2bb6.jpg

• 309ARX - Wolseley
  • OHB408
  • SCJ788
  • WOO11 - Video capture from a 1981 Nottingham proto-dashcam recording found on Youtube.  Haven't been able to refind the original video.

Hi, I am the owner of 309ARX

I can confirm that the car has always had this plate through its life.  It was originally a demonstrator model for a small BL dealership, delivered to them on 1st September 1975 (the couple who ran the dealership sold the car to me in 2003). 

309ARX was their own private plate which they had kept since the 50s and they put that plate on this car when it was registered to them, so it was never given a conventional 'P Reg' suffix plate.  The car was the dealer demonstrator for all of 10 days, before the 18-22 series was rebranded as Princess and the Wolseley model was eliminated.  The couple chose to keep the car as their own from that point on.

Cheers,

Chris

A small update on this is that I've started putting it over on my website here: https://www.angyl.co.uk/work/wedgister

I'm far from finished, just getting things transferred over for easy browsing there at the moment.  This thread is still likely the best place to drop new finds and info so everyone can see and enjoy.

Eventually, the website page should list all the cars that have been unearthed as they're listed in this thread, just in a more concise and easy to browse way.  I'll also put the known survivors to the top of the page when I get that far so we have a rough idea of just what has survived and is out there.

If the people behind the current AI hype train had focused their attention on niche documentation of obsolete vehicles for a special interest forum instead of building Plagiarism Machine this would be a whole lot easier.

Every time I look at a Princess after not looking at one for a while, I think how monumentally BL fucked up. It's sooo cool & sooo different. Harris Mann really got it right with that design & it was brave of BL to put it into production.
Pity that in true BL fashion, sadly defeat was somehow snatched from the jaws of victory !
It should have been a runaway success & trounced the Cortina.

2 hours ago, ETCHY said:

Every time I look at a Princess after not looking at one for a while, I think how monumentally BL fucked up. It's sooo cool & sooo different. Harris Mann really got it right with that design & it was brave of BL to put it into production.
Pity that in true BL fashion, sadly defeat was somehow snatched from the jaws of victory !
It should have been a runaway success & trounced the Cortina.

Certainly things could have been better, I did wonder why they used the B-series when the 1750 E-series plant was running under capacity.  Also being a hatchback earlier would have helped, rather than being paranoid about them losing Maxi & SD1 sales!

Not a new entry on the Wedgister, but A35KKS popped up again on Instagram a few weeks back, and I promptly screenshotted but then forgot all about it...

Screenshot_20240117-2208442.thumb.png.57e9f7ea0ea8051ffbd9510c9d09adb8.png

Screenshot_20240117-2209382.thumb.png.67d772390db8bf913da4da08cf53b4ac.png

Austin Ambassador HL with the 1994cc lump - first registered in August 1983; last registered change of keeper in September 1985; and its last tax disc expired in February 1990.

Good to see it's still in existence out there, even if quite crispy looking.

12 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

That's very cheap, even in that condition (at £360 in bids with no reserve at time of me writing this).  If I weren't moving house and trying to avoid projects I'd be very tempted.  Body panels are hard to get so you'd have to be lucky or skilled at fabrication to sort that rear arch out.  Still, it's almost scrap money and if you wanted an Ambassador it's potentially not a bad starting point if you're willing to do a bit of work.  Here it is a few months ago when the filler wasn't quite so evident.

A641OTP.thumb.jpg.cd3aea43f0e195ef6c737a84696f65a8.jpg

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:
14 hours ago, outlaw118 said:
Expand  

That's very cheap, even in that condition (at £360 in bids with no reserve at time of me writing this).  If I weren't moving house and trying to avoid projects I'd be very tempted.  Body panels are hard to get so you'd have to be lucky or skilled at fabrication to sort that rear arch out.  Still, it's almost scrap money and if you wanted an Ambassador it's potentially not a bad starting point if you're willing to do a bit of work.  Here it is a few months ago when the filler wasn't quite so evident.

A641OTP.thumb.jpg.cd3aea43f0e195ef6c737a84696f65a8.jpg

I'd love to be able to take it on; my mate Eddie Shit had a 2.0HL back in the day, 3rd most comfy car I've ever driven (Renault 20TX #1 in case anyone's interested, with my Citroen GS Pallas second)

Personal circumstances dictate otherwise - if I'm going to be made redundant, I'd have the time and @Amelia can teach me how to use my own welder, as she got the hang of it!

Oh, and I'm sure* SWMBO will be well chuffed to have something else parked up in the grounds of Outlaw_Towers, especially when I haven't touched the Capri in 2 years....

• 1 month later...

One from the Beeb's retrospective on the 1984 miner strikes: DFR945W

Pickets and police at Lea Hall Colliery, Rugeley, Staffordshire - March 1984.

Miners' strike: ‘We had to bury our baby in a stranger’s coffin’ - BBC News

image.png.94844279816fb4647a304961f7ea373c.png

Coded as 'Austin Morris' on the DVLA's online records, but seemingly a Princess 2000 registered in September 1980. The final tax disc ran out in November 1991, so presumably not a survivor.

DFR945W.thumb.png.504a89539f148b78c2f00d59ad05a7c6.png

Side stripes look nice, though.

On 19/11/2018 at 17:34, adw1977 said:

Incidentally, online searches show that LOV753X LOV754X and LOV759X were also probably pre-production Ambassadors, the DVLA record them all as Austin-Morris unknowns and they have 1700 or 2000 engines.  None have been taxed for years.

Now a picture of LOV754X has appeared, courtesy of Car Brochure Addict on Twitter.

Screenshot_20240313_151910_X.thumb.jpg.7b172f59e05f188c39519f98b89cae52.jpg

Twitter link

Hi Vulgalour, my name is Simon Hayes and I'm the current Chairman of The Leyland Princess and Ambassador Enthusiasts' Club. I now own LSA481W and have removed the alloys and returned her to original spec now! I'm trying (!) to compile a list of possible surviving Wedges and would like to use some of your data if possible - would you mind contacting me?  We want to establish which cars still exist, if any need new homes, if any are in need of help with restoration/parts and of course to grow the club membership - its the big 50 next year and naturally we want as many wedges in attendance when we celebrate! Thanks so much in advance.

LSA481W.png

7 hours ago, Funkyferret said:

Hi Vulgalour, my name is Simon Hayes and I'm the current Chairman of The Leyland Princess and Ambassador Enthusiasts' Club. I now own LSA481W and have removed the alloys and returned her to original spec now! I'm trying (!) to compile a list of possible surviving Wedges and would like to use some of your data if possible - would you mind contacting me?  We want to establish which cars still exist, if any need new homes, if any are in need of help with restoration/parts and of course to grow the club membership - its the big 50 next year and naturally we want as many wedges in attendance when we celebrate! Thanks so much in advance.

LSA481W.png

Hello and welcome to this weird little nook of the forum.  Great to see someone else enjoying a wedge in their own way.  I've just moved house so I've not had chance to get back into updating the info on the website yet, I'm planning to get working on it over the next couple of weeks.  Any data is free to use, I've just been collating what I can find that's out there really and trying to put it into one spot.  Eventually, everything I have will be here: https://www.angyl.co.uk/work/wedgister as a hub for all the info collected.  My survivors list is probably out of date as things stand, I know a couple have surfaced recently and are back on the road, and a couple have died.

Mine is now my daily and only transport and I've got plans to do some improvements on her once the dust has settled here.  Definitely not one for the purists and I've no plans to return it to stock, I love what its become over the years and I'm looking forward to where it goes in the future.  I just use mine exactly as BL intended, as a car.  Here we were today at the tip earlier today, proving they are practical even if they don't have the Ambassador's hatch.

photo_2024-03-16_12-10-14.thumb.jpg.5602eedfe43207a9f0351a8e68059f2f.jpg

Did you take over from Kev?  Or am I thinking of the other Princess/Ambassador club?  It got very People's Front of Judea when I was trying to figure out which club to join and now I'm not a member of any.