Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

30 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

However the main reason I bought a box of assorted Matchbox was to obtain this, anyone know what it is?

20210324_161411

Yes it is a load which is for  No.60 Leyland Site office lorry, made by Matchbox

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91U-Ceol-JL._SL1500_.jpg

PS that E type is just beyond weird. But it has to be in collection because of that.

34 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

A few interesting things have arrived in the post. I see the large, strangely proportioned Lone Star E-type pop up for sale on eBay now and again, and have long pondered on whether or not to buy one. I bid on a red one and got beaten, so I put the winning bid amount against the other one the seller had, and no-one else tried to buy it. And it's blue which I've never seen. It is very very odd looking

20210324_16042820210324_16043820210324_160443

Only Jaguar I had to hand for size comparison

20210324_160542

All the red ones I've seen have no base, just axles directly on the body

20210324_160450

Also got a COR 95P Lotus

20210324_160624

Didn't know some of the bigger Corgis had nameless bases

20210324_160709

It hadn't really registered with me that the ever-popular Matchbox bus was also made as a Superkings. Despite 1972 copyright date and the wheels, this was made in China

20210324_160727

Hidden at the back of a job lot was yet another VW LT, I took a chance as it didn't look like one I'd seen before. Base reads VOIKOWAGENG. You couldn't make it up!

20210324_16091020210324_160916

I do like a Zylmex, so this Ford GT has a new home here

20210324_161053

Fire engines and the like aren't my speciality. This Matchbox Merryweather has slim Superfast wheels, 1969 copyright but a plastic base. Shame the ladder's missing as it's tidy otherwise

20210324_161121

Tippax Refuse Collector is a pretty early release

20210324_161202

Again, Connectables aren't on my radar normally, but this one is clearly modeled on the Big Banger etc

20210324_16134220210324_16134620210324_161358

However the main reason I bought a box of assorted Matchbox was to obtain this, anyone know what it is?

20210324_161411

That's a coincidence, I unpacked most of my eighties Corgis earlier and there's a COR95P in amongst them. 

IMG_20210324_174716.jpg

IMG_20210324_174540.jpg

Ooh that's quite nice.

I'm a bit sad.  Some time ago I took the wheels off my Minichamps Scorpio Estate to see what they looked like on my Argentinian partwork Sierra Ghia (they looked great... and I didn't get any pics.)

Anyway, the Scorpio wheels were decidedly loose, and over the course of the last few weeks one of them has, inevitably, gone missing – presumably via the Hoover.

So. Anybody breaking a Minichamps Scorpio for spares?

3 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I'm hoping @Datsuncogwill be along shortly to explain about Corgi selling the casting to Linglongtime Toy Inc or somesuch explaining why the name disappeared 

Ah, interesting... and I might have a theory on that...

3 hours ago, andrew e said:

I wonder if those corgi base plates are bare because of the Marks & Spencer Elite?

It's quite true that all the 1/36 Corgis produced for M&S in 1978/79 had the 'Corgi' branding erased from the baseplates through the insertion of plain pads into the moulds, so you're bang on there - though I'm still slightly perplexed, as the M&S Lotus Elites were only supplied as part of the 8001 Wings Flying Team and 8401 Wings Flying Club sets. They were all finished in light metallic green with 'Wings Flying Club' stickers (and I believe someone on here has one?).

So at a guess, the yellow versions without Corgi lettering may have been mainline models using surplus plastic M&S bases left over from when the plug was pulled on that line - sales weren't strong apparently, and production ended quite suddenly; the Van Cleemput book says the M&S range was 'abandoned in mid-1979'.

Another speculation might be that in an attempt to lower unit costs, some M&S boxed stuff was turned over to the same paint and stickers as the mainline Corgi Elite - though there's no evidence I can find of that happening.

Either way, it's still surprising that two of these (potentially) semi-transitional models have shown up on this thread!

39 minutes ago, RoadworkUK said:

Anybody breaking a Minichamps Scorpio for spares?

Not at the minute - but I have struck lucky with unboxed Minichamps Scorpios not once but twice at the tat stall, with a saloon for a quid and an estate for a paltry 50p. So, y'know, as and when things resume...

1 hour ago, RoadworkUK said:

Anyway, the Scorpio wheels were decidedly loose, and over the course of the last few weeks one of them has, inevitably, gone missing – presumably via the Hoover.

Also, boo to the Hoover eating diecast bits - that's no fun.

I've lost the rear light from a Fiat 132 and one from the Dinky Galaxie to the predations of the vacuum cleaner - though I've managed to retrieve them on both occasions.

With two cats, you can probably imagine how much fun that was...

4 hours ago, Amishtat said:

No it doesn't. Something I've managed never to notice in the last 35+ years.. I do have another in black somewhere from the Wednesday boot sale last year but annoyingly I can't find it at the moment.

Ditto, for 40+ years in my case. Yellow nameless, black "Team Car" and plain red version both have the Corgi name.

3 hours ago, bunglebus said:

But do I put it on the regular wheels............................

For completeness on the Site Hut Truck you also need a green elastic band - I thought I had one with my MIB Superfast version, but couldn't find it in the box. Panic over when I found it in the little shed (not the real one, that would be a hopeless task).

9 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Ditto, for 40+ years in my case. Yellow nameless, black "Team Car" and plain red version both have the Corgi name.

For completeness on the Site Hut Truck you also need a green elastic band - I thought I had one with my MIB Superfast version, but couldn't find it in the box. Panic over when I found it in the little shed (not the real one, that would be a hopeless task).

I think the Tat Wednesday one I have here somewhere must be the "Team Car" you mention so that's saved me the bother of trying to find it to confirm. Annoying, I only saw it last week.. 

34 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

I've lost the rear light from a Fiat 132 and one from the Dinky Galaxie to the predations of the vacuum cleaner - though I've managed to retrieve them on both occasions.

With two cats, you can probably imagine how much fun that was...

The trained the cats to retrieve?

Excellent!