Grogee's spannering (Puma, Maestro , Corsa & Avensis). PUMA DE-FLEET

grogee

50 minutes ago, grogee said:

I get this, but it's nearly impossible to get my eyes level with the block to see if there's daylight under a straight edge. 

Also, if the block isn't flat, I won't like that answer. 

A couple of things.

Use a feeler gauge or even a bit of paper or thin card under the straight edge.  Which of course works on the head also.     

When you have the head off - before you take the valves out, check with paraffin in the ports that they are actually sealing.  They should be if you have ground them in, but you need to know definitely.

Was the misfire evident when you first started it up, or has it developed since?

I've checked block and there is no apparent banana-ing that I can detect. However there is pitting on areas of the block around the coolant channels, but not near the rings which seal the combustion chambers. There is no way of getting rid of this without a mill and a fly cutter so I'm going to live with it. 

I have been On A Journey as far as O-Series family tree is concerned. I was blithely assuming that all blocks and heads were basically the same, and I've successfully ordered parts for other cars (eg Rover 2000 and Freight Rover manifold gaskets) that fit just fine. 

Delving a little deeper I have found that head gaskets differ, at least between FWD and RWD cars and possibly even between FWD car derivatives. 

Part of my previous HG woes may well have been because I've been trying to fit the wrong gasket. 

The gasket in the plastic film is for a Sherpa/LDV and you can see the oil way and coolant channels don't match up. 

Fortunately I have a gasket listed for MG Maestro and Rover 800 (bASe models of which used O-series) coming. 

Whisper it, but I've also smeared a bit of sealant around the block where the pitting is apparent. This is a big Haynes no-no and must not ever be done under any circumstances. 

I wonder if it'll work? 

20240418_132256.jpg

20240418_145122.jpg

Gasket arrived today (thanks, Royal Snail). I've bunged it straight on and have bolted most things back into place but it started drizzling plus Master Grogee needs feeding so I've stopped for now. 

I'll be doing a compression test before anything else because it'll be interesting to see if the compression is improved and maybe it'll change after getting hot/being run. 

It also has the added benefit of getting the oil pressure up before firing it up properly. 

It'll be nice if I can get a healthy running car back but I'm skeptical after all this fucking about. Plan C would be to source an engine. I did find one for £75 but it's in Pompey, plus there's the added faff of needing to get hold of an engine crane. 

20240419_130844.jpg

8 minutes ago, grogee said:

Gasket arrived today (thanks, Royal Snail). I've bunged it straight on and have bolted most things back into place but it started drizzling plus Master Grogee needs feeding so I've stopped for now. 

I'll be doing a compression test before anything else because it'll be interesting to see if the compression is improved and maybe it'll change after getting hot/being run. 

It also has the added benefit of getting the oil pressure up before firing it up properly. 

It'll be nice if I can get a healthy running car back but I'm skeptical after all this fucking about. Plan C would be to source an engine. I did find one for £75 but it's in Pompey, plus there's the added faff of needing to get hold of an engine crane. 

20240419_130844.jpg

You've found a smoking gun there surely. Wrong head gasket. It'll be reet now.

1 hour ago, grogee said:

IIRC a shitely from the Pompey area might be available - or was that today? :)

Sitrep:

Good

Even compression across the board, 120-125psi. That was before it had ran, so everything was 'dry'. 

Ran and idled well

No exhaust blow

Bad

Coolant seeping out from between block and head

White stuff appearing in coolant

Next steps 

K-Seal. 

Then, new (used) engine. 

@High Jetter the Shitely is a good suggestion but an engine is a bastard thing to transport. Pompey is about 2 hours from here on a good run so it's not the worst collection. 

Went to Asda (about 6 miles away) for a test run in the Maestro with Master Grogee as co-pilot. 

Parked up and thought, "safety first, let's get the crook lock on". As I clicked it on I realised I have the wrong set of keys which don't have the crook lock key... 

So we're waiting for @Cluffyto rescue me, he's popped into our house to get the correct set of keys.

Here's Master Grogee attempting to 'pick' the lock, and a bonus 5c3n3 VW Golf in the Asda car park. 

20240420_120527.jpg

20240420_120533.jpg

20240420_120521.jpg

19 hours ago, grogee said:

Here's Master Grogee attempting to 'pick' the lock,

Lovely looking car there - much jealous.

Master Grogee looks to be handy with the tools - I was wondering tho'

- Ello, ello, ello, what have we got 'ere then, sonny?
- I'm picking a lock, officer.
- Plainly. Care to explain why?
- Yes. It's the initiation test for the Bill Sykes School of Autoshite Kiting
-<frown> And your name is?
- Artful Dodger McGrogee. Mr Bill Sykes McGrogee has promised Mini Eggs next if I succeed.

image.png.b07376024236987463a2e260f1278c5b.png

6 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Lovely looking car there - much jealous.

Thanks. It's funny but being the owner I can only see the faults. I need to step back from time to time. 

Think I'm going to put the 'summer' alloys on today. 

Re: mini egg mobile - I would smash that. 

4 hours ago, Matty said:

Has the coolant weep gone now the cars seen a few heat cycles?

Likely replaced by wallet leak 😀

5 hours ago, grogee said:

Thanks. It's funny but being the owner I can only see the faults. I need to step back from time to time. 

Do this - it is a good looking and rare beast 

11 hours ago, Matty said:

Has the coolant weep gone now the cars seen a few heat cycles?

I think so. I was going to check today but I've been balls deep in Mrs Grogee's Corsa, fitting a radio. 

I did pop the Maestro bonnet to check the coolant level. Interestingly* there was a rush of air as I removed the filler cap - bear in mind it was stone cold, last used yesterday. The level seems to have dropped again, which is annoying. 

Typically the Corsa has thanked me for lavishing attention onto it by throwing an airbag light. Culprit seems to be clock spring but I've been moving seats and trim around so maybe I've knocked something out of whack. 

20240421_155636.jpg

Maestro sitrep:

I've just been out to re-check compression and see if the cooling system holds pressure. 

Each cylinder now at 125-130 psi and I pumped the header tank to 13 psi and it slowly dropped to 12 and then held - which it's always done. 

There is some mayo in the oil cap but this engine is known for it, it's always done that too. Oil in sump looks squeaky clean. 

There is some suspicious sparkly stuff on top of cyl #2. I'm telling myself this is K-Seal that's found its way into the chamber and then completely sealed m9. Plus it's K-seal so completely safe for use m9. 

I'll give it another run tomorrow and see how things are. 

20240422_185602.jpg

Today I raised the Maestro into service position, my thinking being that I want to check for coolant leaks. I pressurised it again with my useful special tool, and it's still behaving the same way - pump to 13psi, then pressure slowly drops to 12psi and stays there. I'm going to leave it overnight and see if it drops. 

Anyway my thinking was that if I can get underneath with the coolant system pressurised, I should be able to spot any leaks in the system. Not a sausage. 

I did spot some rusty fuel hoses though so I gave them the treatment ending in some Rust Anode paint stuff. 

And I put the summer wheels on... 

20240423_140044.jpg

Today I are mostly been fiddling with Maestro 'lectrix. 

Ever since I got it, the 'main' relay has been bodged to be 'always on'. This means it drains the battery if the relay is left connected. 

So up until now I've been pulling the relay when parking it for any length of time, which is a bit of a PITA as it involves popping the bonnet and fiddling about. 

Having studied the manual and relays in detail I can see that one of wires that is meant to go to earth with ignition on, is not doing so. 

So I have added another relay that provides an earth when it sees +12v from the fuel pump relay feed (which also comes on with ignition). 

Basically the 'main' relay now behaves as it should which should mean no more battery drain and no more rummaging about under the bonnet for relays. 

Fixed? Sort of. Bodged? Maybe. Do I care? No. 

In other news my tame mechanic phoned with news of the Avensis air con. It's a bad condenser and they have quoted £345 to fix. 

I've just looked up the job in the workshop manual and it doesn't look too bad. It does say to take the front bumper off which isn't the end of the world, but it may be possible to do it without doing this. 

Anyway I found a condenser for £60 which seems very reasonable so I'm looking at £120ish by the time I've paid tame mechanic to refill gas. I know I will thank myself for it in the summer. 

20240425_133429.jpg

20240425_133941.jpg

Screenshot_20240425_140128_eBay.jpg

Did a bit more with the Maestro. I was running the (slightly ridiculous) shelf mounted 6x9s via the subwoofer amp, but this is now living in the Avensis. 

I have a Blaupunkt amplifier that I bought off someone here (thanks but I forgot who you are). It's just gathering dust so I decided to mount it to the rear seat back and run the 6x9s off that. 

Haven't got as far as running the power feed to it yet but that'll be tomorrow's task. 

When Mrs Grogee got home I jumped into her Corsa to attempt to fix the airbag light. After a failed session of parts darts I found the culprit, see this thread for details:

All in all a good day's spannering. 

Well apparently the Avensis AC condenser was the wrong one, they helpfully messaged and offered to cancel. 

Anyway another search turned up an even cheaper condenser, from Latvia curiously (it's an RHD specific part). And it's a name I've heard of! Downside is it'll be a couple of weeks on the water, but no rush I suppose as long as we don't get a heatwave. 

Screenshot_20240426_065728_eBay.jpg

More Maestro mucking about. Yesterday's attempt at installing some PHAT BASS failed on account of a confusingly faulty amplifier which when fed 12v then showed 9v at the power connection, and no 'on' or 'protection' light. Shame, because that Blaupunkt amp looked snazzy in anodized blue. 

Instead I've dug out a Phillips amp which is probably overkill (it's big) and helpfully two of the self tapper holes I'd drilled for the Blaupunkt lined up perfectly. 

I've also transferred my old iPod out of the Toyota (where embarrassingly I can't plug it in) into the Maestro. It should provide some tunes for when the DAB drops out, or more likely I hate the radio station, DJ or tune that's playing. 

Screenshot_20240426_163306_eBay.jpg

11 hours ago, grogee said:

Well apparently the Avensis AC condenser was the wrong one, they helpfully messaged and offered to cancel. 

Anyway another search turned up an even cheaper condenser, from Latvia curiously (it's an RHD specific part). And it's a name I've heard of! Downside is it'll be a couple of weeks on the water, but no rush I suppose as long as we don't get a heatwave. 

Screenshot_20240426_065728_eBay.jpg

Wow, that is cheap!!!

Fucking cars. 

Today's guest shite is Sister Grogee's Astra. I'd agreed some time ago to do the cam belt and thus it began. 20240427_092353.jpg.f621a25461989e6d43ba2f08e988416c.jpg

Just as I'd lulled myself into a false sense of security, the fucker bit me. Hard. 

I was marvelling at the amount of space in the engine bay to do a belt change, and enjoying the logical layout and lack of plastc shit that needed to be removed. 

Then... Fucking belt tensioner bolt broke. 

20240427_095213.jpg.fdd30d5d1d6ac42e32209c5b50e85011.jpg

At this point I thought 'no biggie, I've got a decent stud remover'. So the fucker just broke off flush with the oil pump. 

Then drilled it out, but that was sub-optimal on account of not being able to get the drill perpendicular to the face (side shotgun/longitudunal in the way). 

In the end I spent about two hours trying to drill and tap on the wonk before giving in and realising I need a new oil pump. 

So then faffed about removing the sump which required the oil to be drained then downpipe to cat joint to be separated (luckily the nuts came off). Then pick up pipe off then pump off... Sigh. 

In the grand scheme of things not a financial disaster (£70 for pump, oil, filter and sump gasket) but it does mean I have to deliver car to Sister Grogee in Bristol next weekend. Then get the bastarding train back. 

Honestly, for those playing cambelt roulette: I like your odds. This one was done in 2016, and it's fine. Tensioner fine. Aux belt fine. Tensioner fine. 

To be scrupulously fair, the water pump feels a little bit tight/worn bearing but I'm willing to bet this would have gone on for another couple of years. 

20240427_094525.jpg

20240427_093943.jpg

• grogee changed the title to Grogee's spannering (Puma, Maestro , Corsa & Avensis). GUEST DISASTRA

My regular ebay parts combing turned up a real gem, a genuine Maestro filler neck! 

@Marina door handles will tell you that finding these rust-prone BL curios is nigh on impossible, so I put in a snipe bid even though the start price was fairly steep.

It's now arrived and I'm glad to report the description was accurate: used but very solid. I'll be giving it a right good slather of protective coatings before I fit it. 

I'm honestly not sure about the condition of my existing one but in the back of my mind I think I remember it being a bit crumbly. And in the sort of state that taking it off was bound to result in something breaking. 

----

Astra news, the sump and block faces have been cleaned up ready for sealant. I did have to spend an unreasonable amount of time and effort to remove the oil filter which had been tightened by a gorilla. Unfortunately its location is not conducive to removal, tucked between the cat and radiator, so there's no 'tool swing' room. In the end I resorted to the time-honoured 'smash a screwdriver through it' technique. Even then it took a few goes to free it. 

PLEASE STOP DOING OIL FILTERS UP TOO TIGHT. 

In the course of this battle the crank sensor took a battering, I think it could be coaxed back to life but a new Meyle one is only £11 so I thought better of it. 

Just waiting for the oil pump to arrive now before I can rebuild it and get it back to Sister Grogee. 

Does anyone have any tips for refilling coolant on Astra G with Z16SE engine? I'm assuming it self-burps? 

Screenshot_20240430_153056_eBay.jpg

20240430_110133.jpg

• grogee changed the title to Grogee's spannering (Puma, Maestro , Corsa & Avensis). FILLER UP
18 hours ago, grogee said:

Does anyone have any tips for refilling coolant on Astra G with Z16SE engine? I'm assuming it self-burps? 

Yep.

Fill up and check after a run. They do burp themselves. Maybe have to add a little more afterwards when the engine has cooled down.

Also jammy git for finding a Maestro filler neck in useable condition. Very good thing to have stashed away.