Xsara - latching onto success* (intercooler pipe question too)

beko1987

All dried and cured so I took the tape off and gave it a proper clean ready to admire

20230707_195209.jpg

It's almost perfect, you can hardly tell anything

20230707_195213.jpg

But the bit that was rotting out is protected and covered

20230707_195224.jpg

So it might last the winter until I need to remember to replace it! 

Bought it in to dry now, this handy brand new never used dc14 is a great stand for it. Will bang it on tomorrow

20230707_195313.jpg

7 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

The shock dust cover isn't actually a fail. It may shorten the life of it but leave it alone, plenty of older cars have exposed shafts (ooer 🤣) and it's not a problem 

Fucking amazing, thanks! Wasn't sure if it was a case of 'if fitted then it must be in good order etc"

I'm now of the mindset of 'I wonder how much just an set of shocks and springs would cost" so if it can be yeeted into the future a bit that'd be handy! I did eyeball every other rubber boot on the driver side though and all is good. If refitting the wing isn't a fight I might go sensible and have the other wheel off and give it an eyeball. Or leave it alone and ignore it! 

20230708_080503.jpg

Was up early this morning before the rain hit, and the krust had done well! The last thing I hit yesterday was this bit here, a point of the inner frame that's always scabby and shitty on zx's/xsaras from screenwash spillages! I cut the entire section out and fabricated a new piece*

20230708_080626.jpg

Perfect! I then removed the high brake light and masked off another annoyance I had, since the spray paint is a 74% match it seemed silly not to

20230708_080857.jpg

20230708_081425.jpg

I'd krusted it yesterday as well and did wipe it down with a rag before spraying 👍

That drying I went back to the wing, the sky growing darker and with 7 cable ties only got it fitted

20230708_082008.jpg

20230708_083606.jpg

Probably should have taken the time to drill some bolt holes too but I tried not to butcher it too much (2 little holes) for when I'm back here hopefully fitting a better wing with its bracket! 

It then fucked it down with rain as I was fitting the arch liner. Did that, got the tools in, dried off then remembered the paint, luckily it dried (was only a light waft) before it started

20230708_085441.jpg

Good enough, again I just didn't want a shitty little hole forming without me realising 

20230708_085751.jpg

I also did a small touch up. What problem could possibly be caused by a perfectly square piece of paint? 

20230708_085755.jpg

Got to chuck the wheel back on in a bit, it's stopped raining now but I've cleaned up a bit so will do that later

There we go, back together and I got fancy and got the box of fixing out! They were shit for the rear interior plastics, let's see if their better for the arch liner! Was nice to bin the 2 really shit ones and replace the 2 missing ones and put the others in the place they were supposed to go, the entire lot is alot firmer than it was before I started! 

20230708_094125.jpg

Put the wheel back on and you'd never know it was sketchy as fuck... 

20230708_095036.jpg

Raining again now

1 hour ago, grogee said:

Amazing work there sir. You've given me confidence to tackle similar jobs in the future. I hope you find a tyre or two soon. 

I do like the Xsara, unloved but nowt wrong with them really. 

Thanks! I'm annoyed that I've been looking at that rust grow for 2 winters now and haven't tackled it before! Hey ho. 

It's a shame I've not got more space and room, doesn't seem a huge job to carry on and have the bumper and other wing off, then an hour of cleaning, an hour of krusting and a bit of colour might refresh it a bit. 

Tyres are booked in for Tuesday morning, but until the bloke phones me to confirm I'm in and he's on his way I won't count it as 100% 😂

I then turned my attention to the future, and got the back vacuumed out and worked out that if I unbolt the seat base the backs lie flat, then a bit of wood bridges a gap, add an airbed and

20230708_105003.jpg

20230708_105032.jpg

That'll do! Wanted to experiment more but there's now some children, not all mine using it as a den, so I got the airbed out and left it for now! Not sure if I even need to put the seat bases in, probably should incase I NEED to go somewhere with the kids 

27 minutes ago, rainagain said:

Great work! Next time you’re spraying a section like the arch on the wing, rather than masking off with the tape flat against the panel use wider masking tape and curl it back on to itself like you’re trying to make a tube. This will mean you’ll get a softer edge when you paint. 

Noted, thanks! If I ever find myself needing to do it again I'll try it! (or I'll have a go on that one day, for now it'll get so filthy driving to sf it's fine 👌

Well this isn't going to plan... 

Tyres were booked for this morning (8-1.30)...

Van bloke calls at about 11am saying he doesn't have the tyres on him, he's going back to the depot and will have a look and ring me back... 

2pm I get an auto email and auto text saying "Dear Mr Sam

Please can you contact National Tyres and Autocare on 0161 429 1059 with regards to your online order.Unfoprtuantely the mobile fitter has gone off the road i do apologise for any inconvenience i can re-schedule your fitment for Thursday 13/07 with an alternative fitter between 8.30/1.00 pm 

If you are happy to accept this, you don’t need to do anything further. If not you can contact us on Mobileweb@axlegcc.co.uk or call an advisor on 0161 429 1059 (bearing in mind our busy periods are between 8.30am and 2pm) to discuss this order further. Our contact centre opening times: Monday – Friday, 8.30am – 6pm, Saturday -  8.30am – 6pm.

Your order reference is 

Nati onal"

Then an auto rebook for Thursday. Which wasn't ideal. 

Phoned the number and offered to go to the Aylesbury branch if that would be quicker, and 20 minutes later had an appointment for 12pm tomorrow. Fine, I can do that. 

5 minutes ago the Aylesbury branch phoned me, their bloody compressors broken, and if its not fixed early tomorrow they can't fit my tyres... I asked about would I be able to have it done my a mobile again and almost have my prior slot back and bunk off another day in the office and am awaiting a call back.

Its never easy is it! I can't even offer to have them done at the office as that'll be from a different hub branch which I know will confuse things even more. 

Friday... My ultimate deadline is Friday at 10am 🤞🤞

Phone call returned. The mobile van is off the road properly, the guy hit a drain cover and ripped bits off... Fine. 

What's going to happen apparently, is I'm turning up at 12. They'll either have the compressor sorted, or they'll take my wheels over to the Halfords autocentre and do it there and come back! 

Seems reasonable, as long as I come home with new bloody tyres I don't care. We'll see, and I'll have mcdonald's for lunch

And all done, im back home eating mcdonalds! The chap who phoned me yesterday was there and it was in and out very quickly.

Drives alot nicer now, I hadnt noticed the deterioration on the old tyres and the old ones werent fully bald yet, but wow what a difference!

I then celebrated with £50 of diesel since you have to drive past tesco to get out, and need to pop past a tyre machine and check all that before leving/during leaving on friday

i’m surprised at the rust resistance of different citroen models during that era

seems the xsara, picasso, C3 etc suffer with rust

C5 has absolutely nothing even underneath it’s like new, same with my last one

good work on the xsara, glad it’s still going well

• 1 month later...

The sun was out when I got home from work at 4.30 so I parked on the road and got a vacuum out! 

20230822_165922.jpg

The white fiesta has been there 3 weeks with a flat front passenger tyre... 

20230822_171216.jpg

I also vacuumed the engine bay as it was full of hay (followed a hay trailer 9 miles home the other day) and leaves, and peeled the last layer of my air filter off. Been good valu that bosch one, might splurge on another in 6 months time. 

20230822_172834.jpg

Shite cleaned out of the air box too which was good. 

20230822_172902.jpg

From that angle though I did note these oily pipes. Are they vacuum lines or breather hoses? Is it remedied by removing them one at a time and firing some brake cleaner though? Or TADTS? 

20230822_173237.jpg

MOT booked for Thursday. Front pads shouldn't be too low for a fail, if I was the tester I'd do an advisory for them being grooved and looking like shit but that's priority 1 after payday anyway so as long as its a pass, meh. And they stop the car fine. 

It rides lovely too after the heavily laden trip to north Norfolk and back! Never see the wheels so far into the arches and she rode damn smooth! Is nicer solo too, always felt a bit hard after just me in it for months at a time. Probably just me though 😂

• beko1987 changed the title to Xsara - MOT Day 🤞
  • beko1987 changed the title to Xsara - MOT Fail
8 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Annoying, of course - but a resounding THUMBS UP on the rest of the car, anyway!

Once the gaiter's sorted and a bit of switch fettling (replace, or does it just need a squirt with some contact cleaner spray?), hopefully it'll continue to give you decent service.

We had a laugh about the indicator when i picked it up just now... He agrees with my fear of removing the airbag to have a look, and knows I just drive with the stalk held down when I need to turn left! One day I might fix it...

Currently having a total brain fart over which one I need... I think its the top one? (is it left/right as im looking at the front of the car? IE Left/Drivers?

image.png

But overall yes, thanks I agree of all the things a 22 year old french car could fail on I'll take a gaitor that I've been near before (did inner tie rods on both lagunas and had to remove and refit these so it's not too scary. Have a plan on fitting it too once I order the correct one... 😂

I'd agree - from my long-distant parts desk monkey days, 'left' and 'right' are based on a driver's view.

I used to use 'offside' and 'nearside' but that just seemed to confuse people even more, so I tended to stick to 'drivers side' and 'passenger side' when trying to work out what a customer wanted.

Which all worked fine, until the lad with a VW Passat B3 estate rocked up wanting a front wishbone... local plate but, as it later turned out, left-hand drive...

Fab, the right one looks easier as its just cable ties too! 

I was wondering what the difference was, but I bet the pass side has a longer/split driveshaft, and I should thank my lucky stars I don't have to do that side (yet). 

In classic bank holiday weekend one shot no plan B parts bingo, I shall order a RH one 👍

Or is the smart thing to just bloody buy both and return the one I don't use...