What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Really pleased to have found a base for the pressed glass shade that was formerly a wall light in the new house.  Turns out, B&Q do these little lamps with a frosted globe shade that I didn't really like, plonking the old pressed glass shade on makes it much more interesting and should go really well with all the other Old People Furniture in the workroom when we have it all together.

202002-Study01.thumb.jpg.341adcb739a5f766f534934a6a35ad78.jpg

202002-Study02.thumb.jpg.66693add6f97da1885a00684dc0c06a3.jpg

I'm also bidding on an old USSR shortcase pendulum clock that has a similar form-dictates-function look about it that's really appealing.

Needed some new work boots.Normally I buy Dunlop safety boots from Sports Direct but they didn't have my size,they have gone up in price and the place was rammed so finding a sales assistant was hopeless. They are a really comfortable boot but only last six to eight months before the left heel splits from the upper.Always the left.

Anyway a trip to Screwfix was in order. I have a ten percent discount card but for orders over £30.00.Boots ( not Dunlop) were £29.9  9  and the very nice sales lady said to grab some gloves as it would be a shame to lose the discount..Yay free gloves.

Been wizzing about in the little Nissan today which made me smile.Even the chump in the Audi Q3 who slowly pulled out of Lidl car-park right infront of me didn't dampen my spirits. His look of confusion that not everybody was going to Lidl on a Sunday afternoon was class as I sat there shaking my head at him.

1 hour ago, Steve79 said:

Charging batteries on kitchen worktop fine, but apparently oily parts in the dishwasher is a no no. Weird! ?

I've just bought a dishwasher at work for washing greasy gearbox oil soaked castings and plastic tanks etc and I'm (£200) sorry to say that they aren't much cop even when you chuck 4 tablets in on a mega intensive wash. 

Anyway, anyone want to buy a dishwasher? One careful owner, I think they liked eggs.

Vulgalour's adventures in house tat acquisition continues apace.  Spotted a smart old pendulum clock on eBay described as working but not tested for long enough to see if the hour hand moved.  Good enough for me, usually with old pendulum clocks it's just adjustment that stops them running for any length of time and that turned out to be the case with this nice old Jantar from when the USSR was still a thing.  Action* shot here for you.  It's missing a bit of trim, or a door, or something on the bottom section.  I don't mind, I actually like how it looks as is, just needs a jolly good clean all over.

202004-Study01.thumb.jpg.b558244a7307d66484a06924674b4e43.jpg

It came with four keys, three of which aren't needed, one of which is a Perivale original for those dumpy mantelpiece clocks everyone's grandparents had.  If anyone needs a clock key let me know and you can have them foc.

202004-Study02.thumb.jpg.d49028224db9d89e261f55cc991eb00e.jpg

On 1/23/2020 at 2:54 PM, MarvinsMom said:

i had an interview with the local bus firm as a trainee bus driver this morning.

i didn't pass, failing the psychometric test thing which showed that i don't have a propensity of speeding, tor taking risks, i do have a dislike of driving.

which is true.....

Bus drivers often seem to have been recruited exclusively from people who hate driving, so you should be in like Flynn.

Today, and on TWO separate occasions, I was told; 'nice car' both times by ladies of the opposite sex. I wish I had the energy to chase after them cos, 'It's the car Dude, it's the car' and it is obviously a proper magnet for the opposite sex.

:)