What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

They were on a North West motorway this morning, shortly before someone definitely didn't find out a Transit van can do 3 figure speeds.
I've been told my remapped custom does the clock.120 apparently easily achievable.
Quite possible at 90 its only on 2.5 k revs.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Asian neighbours rang earlier. Usually to do a job like fitting a shower head or something. I nearly didn't answer but she sent her hubby round with some rice.
He works as a chef in Whitley and brought round this biryani. He can't speak English but I did make out bones and very hot. Can't wait!71245e3dfa39b165bdba02ad193f77e0.jpg

40 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Asian neighbours rang earlier. Usually to do a job like fitting a shower head or something. I nearly didn't answer but she sent her hubby round with some rice.
He works as a chef in Whitley and brought round this biryani. He can't speak English but I did make out bones and very hot. Can't wait!71245e3dfa39b165bdba02ad193f77e0.jpg

Can't go wrong with a biryani. Subcontinental heaven on a plate. The veg ones are really good. 

Congratulations - must be the week for it! :-)
Looks like mine is going to start quicker than I thought, not confirmed yet but looks like they want me in Stavanger Monday morning! Just got to live through the survival course tomorrow!
Would love to know more about this and your rebreather training... Sounds so much more exciting than my lecture observation which was the highlight of my week

I ran out of petrol once on the motorway, M20/M26 even though I still had half a tank full because I was looking at the temp gauge. It was in a new (to us) Rover 214 with the two gauges the opposite way around to the previous car. I was ragging the tits off it at the time so I had enough momentum to get to the next exit and came to a halt at the bottom of the slip road.

10 hours ago, snagglepuss said:
On 1/29/2020 at 10:33 PM, Saabnut said:
Congratulations - must be the week for it! :-)
Looks like mine is going to start quicker than I thought, not confirmed yet but looks like they want me in Stavanger Monday morning! Just got to live through the survival course tomorrow!

Would love to know more about this and your rebreather training... Sounds so much more exciting than my lecture observation which was the highlight of my week

I cannot stress how much I hate doing the survival refresher, some people love it, some are a bit meh but quite a high percentage are like me and hate it. It is stressful, mentally draining and physically challenging. Before you can even book the course, you have to have a valid offshore medical (which is quite indepth) plus a "certificate of fitness for training" which is basically a diving "light" medical. These take about 2 hours and cost me £156 inc VAT

The refresher itself takes between 8 and 9 hours, depending on how many are on the course.  Arrived at the training centre for an 0800 start. After the usual registration and safety lectures, it is straight into it. About 45 minutes on fire, fire prevention and fire fighting, with particular emphasis on different types of fire extinguisher. After that you are provided with PPE and it is out into the yard. First thing is escape exercises around a container filled with artificial smoke. After that you get to play with some fire extinguishers and actually put out a few different types of fire with different types of extinguisher.

Back inside, grabbing a coffee on the way, and it is into an hour of basic first aid, including CPR. By now it was 1130 so a half hour break for luch (provided - yesterday it was a mediocre Chilli and rice) then back into the classroom. The next hour and a half are telling you about the pool work that you are going to be doing next. Lectures over, through to the pool where you get given a simulated survival suit thenyou don a standard ships lifejacket. Upstairs then back down vis a "skyscape escape system" - look it up! After that you are issued with a lifejacket with a re-breather attached plus another with a compressed air gas cylinder attached. First it is the rebreather, with some pool exercises getting used to breathing underwater and moving around the pool with a jacket on. Then swap jacket to the compressed air one, repeat the exercises and also have to swim underwater for 30 seconds whilst breathing compressed air. Then swap jackets back to the rebreather one.

After that it is on to the "Helicopter Underwater Escape Trainer" or HUET. There are seven exercises in this, drop to surface and escape to life raft, drop to surface and submerge to escape underwater with and without windows (you have to remove the windows when they are fitted), no rebreather used, repeat both of these using the rebreather before the big ones. Drop to surface, submerge, turn you upside down then escape, first time no rebreather and no windows, second time with both. After that lot, deploy the lifejacket, swim across the pool, climb up a Jacobs Cradle, back down into the water, swim across the pool, climb into a life raft from the water, back out and that is it over. Get your tickets and sod off home.

I ache in some strange places this morning and I am very glad it is over. That days training cost me £600. As the medical lasts 2 years it basically costs me £1000 every 4 years just so I can look for work. Still, it was worth it as I am off back to work on Monday in Stavanger, Norway.

18 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

They were on a North West motorway this morning, shortly before someone definitely didn't find out a Transit van can do 3 figure speeds.

I've never driven a Transit that didn't have a hopelessly optimistic speedo.  My smiley 190 ran out of revs at 78 in 5th - speedo said it was doing 93.

Eldest daughter (24) passed her theory test yesterday. I said I would buy her a car if she insured it etc. She wanted mini, I've said yaris.
At her age would the insurance still be nuts? What car would shiters recommend?

Congrats to her! Something out the ordinary is usually best, my sister is 17 (way younger than me ) and she expressed an interest in a Prius as she liked mine. A Gen2 was about £1100, fully comp, a year to insure if I remember rightly, which felt very cheap. Probably because not many teenagers want to drive them and the 1.5 is hardly a ball of fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Eldest daughter (24) passed her theory test yesterday. I said I would buy her a car if she insured it etc. She wanted mini, I've said yaris.
At her age would the insurance still be nuts? What car would shiters recommend?

Mother gm’s badly parked 107 will be up for sale / roffle next week ? pretty cheap to run and quite a fun drive

874BFF20-B549-4DC2-8F53-801E7765DD47.thumb.jpeg.1030723c130172cc040448993270d5d7.jpeg

9E69E988-1064-42BE-B302-672A504D5B68.jpeg