Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - An evening with the cows!

Six-cylinder

On 17/12/2023 at 18:31, richardmorris said:

I was thinking about asking for one, so yes that would be a good thing. I am driving back from oxford in the morning and off to wales on Thursday, so this is the ideal window.

Spoke too soon.  Brother in laws family not traveling this year I am told, so sister and family now going to Wolverhampton on 27th. Parents are still staying at sisters for 27th and I am expected to stay too.  May be able to say hello online but…

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 7.30pm 27th Dec Autoshite Zoom & All day 28th Dec FoD tea and chat.

Something for me to look forward to in 2024 is more of our cars get free road tax.

Cars that will become free road tax April 2024

1.     Lancia Trevi               date first reg 1-1-83 – £325 tax, out and about 2023

2.     Citroen Visa Special date first reg 5-5-83 – £200 tax, out and about 2023

3.     Citroen LNA               date first reg 6-5-83 – £200 tax, out and about 2023

4.     Alfa Giulietta             date first reg 30-6-83 – Needs a lot of work

5.     Citroen CX                 date first reg 11-10-83 – Needs a lot of work

6.     Citroen Visa GT        date first reg 4-11-83– Needs a lot of work

19 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Something for me to look forward to in 2024 is more of our cars get free road tax.

1.     Lancia Trevi               date first reg 1-1-83 – £325 tax, out and about 2023

2.     Citroen Visa Special date first reg 5-5-83 – £200 tax, out and about 2023

3.     Citroen LNA               date first reg 6-5-83 – £200 tax, out and about 2023

4.     Alfa Giulietta             date first reg 30-6-83 – Needs a lot of work, waiting for mot exemption

5.     Citroen CX                 date first reg 11-10-83 – Needs a lot of work, waiting for mot exemption 

6.     Citroen Visa GT        date first reg 4-11-83– Needs a lot of work, waiting for mot exemption

Ftfy

21 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Trevi is already Tax free aint it? you know after you threatened the DVLA by getting me involved :) 

11 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Trevi is already Tax free aint it? you know after you threatened the DVLA by getting me involved :) 

You are right, initially I was turned down and eventually given free road tax for the Trevi. I remember now it was still on my pay for list so I SORNed the Trevi at the end of the summer. I have just retaxed it for free.

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Only two of those have drawn my blood!

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 7.30pm 27th Dec Autoshite Zoom PM me for link and password & All day 28th Dec FoD tea and chat.

Here is some interesting Sigma/Magna/Diamante history stolen off Facebook, more about the Japanese market, but still relevant.

The first-generation Mitsubishi Diamante (F10/F20), you should be familiar with. It's a car that we've featured a few times before and that, while interesting, is just a rather fancy Japanese four-door that time has only left remembered and appreciated by hardcore enthusiasts. The wagon model (K45) should be the same, but there's a bit more to the story, especially for the Japanese market. Introduced three years after the hardtop Diamante and sedan Sigma, the Diamante Wagon was a successor to the first-generation Magna Wagon (TN/TP). Yes, that's right, Australia's favourite smoke-blower was sold in Japan between 1988 and 1993, but only as an estate. Since we'll probably never get to feature one, as a bonus fact, they even said 'From Australia' on the side trims. And that should probably play a hint as to why the Diamante Wagon is interesting. These were built at Tonsley Park as Magnas, but then shipped to Japan and sold as Diamantes, which is funny, since the Magna is based on the sedan Sigma model - these were also sold in Europe as Sigma Combis. Obviously, as with the numerous times that Mitsubishi imported cars from Australia to the Japanese market, these were high-specification vehicles, as to justify the high price tag. Under the bonnet for example, the only engine and transmission option was the naturally-aspirated 3-litre 6G72 V6 making 165PS, available in only the top-tier Diamante/Sigma models, paired with a four-speed automatic that only drove the front wheels - there was no all-wheel drive option. Initially priced at 3.4 million yen (about the same as a front-drive 30R Diamante), these were not strong sellers to begin with, not helped by Japan's economy and Mitsubishi's other wagon offering, the Mirage/Lancer-based Libero, being far cheaper. Mitsubishi soon slashed prices on the base model by adding cloth seats and taking out some luxuries on the base-model 30V, and leaving those to the top-tier 30R-SE model. Sales did improve, but being such a niche vehicle, not too many were sold - I haven't got any figures sadly. The regular Diamante hardtop finished production in 1996 and was replaced with the second-generation (F30/F40) model, while the Diamante Wagon remained on the market until 1997. It was then replaced by the second-generation Diamante Wagon (F36W), also an Aussie Magna import, which sold even less and was culled from the line-up in 2001.

3 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Here is some interesting Sigma/Magna/Diamante history stolen off Facebook, more about the Japanese market, but still relevant.

Do you have an equivalent of our how many left website in Australia ? 

One more sleep and I collect it legal and working. 

Do you have an equivalent of our how many left website in Australia ? 

One more sleep and I collect it legal and working. 

Not to my knowledge. It would be difficult to run a site like that nationally as car registration is handled separately by each state and territory, some states and territories are more rigorous than others when it comes to vehicle inspections.

This morning did not go as planned. My favourite garage told me they were not working between Christmas and New year so if I wanted to collect the Sigma I had to get it today. The plan was to take over the Fiat Seicento because it has a rear brake dragging that needs looking at in the New year. Trouble was Seicento would not start, starter turned very slowly even with a jump.

Needing to get to collect the Sigma I took the 480 over instead as it still has a starting problem even if the headlight lifting pods have self-cured. The key turns and often just clicks but if you try it a few times it turns and starts. It will also get an oil/filter change and general look over. That will still leave  some electric gremlins but I need an Autosparks for that.

Poor Mark from the garage now is working over Christmas, but it's not my fault. His daughter’s Audi A3 has shredded it’s axillary belt and made the cam belt jump teeth braking some rockers! Now he is working for Free over Christmas! 

IMG_20231223_150708 broad.jpg

Is the Sigma reliable!

The Seicento and 200TE are broken, the 480 is away so I have been running about in our Volvo V70 T5. Last night I got a call from a local friend who broke his BMW435i in a flood, he had been using his wife’s BMW X3 and now that won’t start. I have now lent out the Volvo that leaves me the Sigma as my daily, I am just a bit nervous as I bought it in February and only got it back on the road 2 days ago and I have only done 35 miles!

IMG_20231225_102628 broad.jpg

What do you think, have I overdone the principle of having a project car in hand in case the one we are working on is stuck for a bit?

The “what needs doing” list to projects.

• Carlton 2.0i Estate – Make it run and get MOT
  • Vauxhall Royale – start for the first time, brakes
  • Discovery Mk1 – Weld front inner wings, MOT
  • Classic Range rover- get back, make run, MOT
  • Citroen CX – buy donner spares car and make run
  • Opel Manta 1.9 Auto – Bring up to MOT standard, replacement wheels
  • Visa Cabriolet – weld boot hinges and MOT
  • Alfa Giulietta – start, brakes.
  • Peugeot 504 – make run
  • Carlton 1.8i Saloon – Make it run and get MOT
  • VP 1500 – weld sub-frame mounting
  • Herald 1200 coupe – Free engine
  • Saab 95 – replace fuel tank, free brakes
  • Volvo 740GLE Estate – Collect from Wales, make run and MOT
  • Renault Safrane – MOT and run

What do you think, have I overdone the principle of having a project car in hand in case the one we are working on is stuck for a bit?

The “what needs doing” list to projects.

• Carlton 2.0i Estate – Make it run and get MOT
  • Vauxhall Royale – start for the first time, brakes
  • Discovery Mk1 – Weld front inner wings, MOT
  • Classic Range rover- get back, make run, MOT
  • Citroen CX – buy donner spares car and make run
  • Opel Manta 1.9 Auto – Bring up to MOT standard, replacement wheels
  • Visa Cabriolet – weld boot hinges and MOT
  • Alfa Giulietta – start, brakes.
  • Peugeot 504 – make run
  • Carlton 1.8i Saloon – Make it run and get MOT
  • VP 1500 – weld sub-frame mounting
  • Herald 1200 coupe – Free engine
  • Saab 95 – replace fuel tank, free brakes
  • Volvo 740GLE Estate – Collect from Wales, make run and MOT
  • Renault Safrane – MOT and run

dont think Im going to let you forget about the Model 70, the Harper Mk6, the Invacar Mk12, and the Milk Float, or the railway stuff for that matter, gotta keep at it until the 2ft Gauge Locomotive and railway gets its own TOPS code I say :mrgreen:

personally I do wish I had more ability to do things to help out, I really wish I could go full Mr @juular and @MrsJuular on @Mrs6C's Model 70 for example to get it running and driving and roadworthy so it could Join all the other forum Model 70's on the road.

also the Harper Mk6 is one I really want to have a bash at as well, seeing as its engine does actually turn, I dont think it  would take all that much to get it at least running if not maybe even driving

and so i'd like to try that to keep the momentum going on that, because I dont want it to sit and deteriorate and then seize up , and then of course the milk float, which I find really fascinating from both an electrical perspective, but also as an enthusiast of unloved vehicles, I would love to see it trundle to the chippy and back, the Chip float FTW! :mrgreen:

but obviously im limited in my physical ability due to my disabilities to do things which is really frustrating!