Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June

Six-cylinder

I went on a 5 day residential Unipart course at Studley Hall in the early 80s. Same place, I guess. MG Heritage worked out of wooden garages there then, IIRC.

• Like 1

28th December Thursday we are holding an open day at our small holding (FoD) near Buckingham for the Autoshite Forum and invited guests, you would be most welcome to join us.

At this time of year it will probably just be tea and chat rather than a working on cars day.

We have a 6x3m party tent inside our open barn with a diesel heater to make it more comfortable.

Arrive when you like, leave when you like and bring your own food is the format.

A bit cold for tents, but anybody wanting to camp/car camp/caravan/or RV it is welcome to stay on site.

No truancy will be accepted.

Dogs, Wife’s and children welcome.

IMG_20231020_211702 broad.jpg

IMG_20231021_203225 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 28th December Thursday we are holding an open day at our small holding (FoD) near Buckingham for the Autoshite Forum, you would be most welcome to join us.
4 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Can I bring the work laptop? Working Thurs afternoon but not from the office, but I'll need to be 'about' 

No problem. Just let me know if we need an extra car battery for power.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 28th December Thursday we are holding a FoD day for the Autoshite Forum members, you would be most welcome to join us.

The new starter for the 480 arrived today so I attempted to fit it.  Andyrew had warned me it was very difficult to wiggle it out from the rear bracket and he was not wrong. To put it straightforwardly I failed! I have also lost a torch, and two levers down into the engine bay somewhere and as it was getting dark I gave up..

IMG_20231123_103824 broad.jpg

IMG_20231123_142909 broad.jpg

IMG_20231123_152701 broad.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

We moved the Citroen XM off the Grass this morning at the FoD. It had a flat battery, but with a jump pack it started straight up. Unfortunately Mrs6C found mice in it and managed to catch two but the third is still in there.

It is waiting for an MOT but is in a queue.

IMG_20231126_101236 broad.jpg

The continuing story with the Volvo 480ES is @Andyrew came and saved us.

I had another go at wriggling the starter Motor into place and Mrs6C had a try but we failed. Andyrew turned up in the freezing cold and dark and after a bit of a battle got it into place. And all for a cheesy chips supper!

Saturday all I had to do was tighten the 3 fixing bolts, connect the main power lead and connect the starter solenoid wire. I just could not get the starter wire connected on the blind side of the solenoid, it just seemed too short so I made up a short extension wire. The starter now worked.

@Prince_of_darkness91 and I went for a ride, toped up the petrol and it started fine. We then took the long way home and returned to the drive. I went to test restart it and it just clicked, we turned the engine on the alternator and it started. We turned it off again and attempted a restart and this time the starter spun but the engine did not fire. We rested it and it started if a bit rough at first. I then took it to the FoD but did not switch it off until I got home.

At the FoD I noticed the n-s daylight running lens had fallen off and the o-s was very lose. I found evidence of previous glue so to keep water from rushing into the bulb holders I have glued the coves back on.

At home there was ignition lights but no turning or even clicking of the starter so I moved the gear selector from park to neutral and it started instantly. I then retried it in park and it started with a wiggle. Now it started perfectly in park or neutral.

IMG_20231124_202417 broad.jpg

IMG_20231125_112739 broad.jpg

IMG_20231125_150237 broad.jpg

IMG_20231126_101541 broad.jpg

Late afternoon I risked the 480 again and went to a car gathering in Milton Keynes in spite of the grey damp cold weather. Usually this meeting is 50+ cars but today I counted just 18.

The good news is the 480 behaved perfectly, restarted to get lined up for a photo without any issues and again to go home.

The car I most wanted to take home other than the 480 was the Ford Anglia van.

404542802_7013063618739747_8955222717696455782_n broad.jpg

403734622_1341459823405026_5537170070068640261_n broad.jpg

403954487_2334509413414547_3310862529257643501_n broad.jpg

I forgot to say our ZX TD Estate has a fresh MOT.

It needed a bit of work.

Lower ball joints, wishbone bushes, welding on driver’s side chassis, headlight alinement and an oil change.

Today Mrs6C has it traveling hundreds of miles again.

IMG_20231130_152057 broad.jpg

Different MOT tester maybe?  I've had cars that have absolutely fine headlamp alignment, which have passed for years then suddenly fail on too low/high/left/backwards.  Adjust them so they pass, and they're so short they're dangerous.  Adjust back up to something sensible, and then pass next year again.

• Thanks 2

Ironically the lights on my C70 passed an MOT yet were blinding everyone as they had somehow shifted up and to the right. Probably messed them up when I had the engine in pieces.

I had to adjust them down / left myself to stop getting flashed.

Not convinced any MOT place checks them properly / knows how to check them properly.

This morning was Milton Keynes Classic Car Club gathering, cold and wet and as expected half the usual number of cars turned up but still good.

The starter of the 480 still does not turn first time every time and sometimes needs several tries before it turns. Mrs6C suggested I should take the V70 today for a reliable dry car without flaky electrics and rain leaks. I likened it to the young girl who goes out on a freezing night with little clothing because she looks good like that! Yes I look good in a wet steamed up unreliable Coupe!

My pick for the car to drive home in if not mine was the Princess 3 Ltr.

One upset was another member came into the pub to say somebody had bumped my car and driven off. Turns out he had mistaken the Mercedes E320 Coupe belonging to another member Kevin as being my Ex Richard Morris E320 Coupe. A relief for me in the Volvo 480 but sad for Kevin with his lovely E320 that now needs a grill and bumper.

IMG_20231203_102157 broad.jpg

IMG_20231203_103004 broad.jpg

IMG_20231203_102722 broad.jpg

The MG TF has found itself a garage for the winter.

A friend asked do you want to borrow a garage for the winter. What only one, no I didn't say that just accepted gratefully. Today the MG TF was put away until the spring sunshine. I even remembered to disconnect the battery.

IMG_20231208_130845 broad.jpg

IMG_20231208_134803 broad.jpg

I did a Storage inspection today and all looks well.

Now what if somebody had stole all the cars and put empty carboard boxes under the covers to fool me!

IMG_20231209_150447 merged broad.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

what if somebody had stole all the cars and put empty carboard boxes under the covers

Bagsy have all the cardboard to use on my 'no dig' beds in the vegetable garden...