ZX 1.9td - Farewell faithfull steed!

beko1987

Its annoying as I don't get paid till Thursday. Apparently there are 2 different calipers for vented vs solid. Arse!

Will ecp the vented discs on Thursday and pick them up at lunchtime! Will look at the return policy for the solid ones when they come!

Sadly the wrong discs came from eBay so it will cost me a few quid to post them back but I won't open them and will get the bulk of the money back.

Not telling amy though, she's in a foul mood!

Ecp discs are £10 each with hot30 though so I should still break even with the previous owners refund!

Took my mind off my smashed phone and smashed car by having a look at the history, and getting the current mot cert out ready (hopefully) for the weekend...

MOT's back to 2004...

2004 - 123,105 Miles

2005 - 133,806

2006 - 149,496

2007 - 168,516

2008 - 188,226

2009 - 209,118

2010 - 232,635

2011 - 254,818

2012 - Doesnt seem to have been MOT'd

2013 - 255,932

2014 - 262,728

Today - 264,151

Seen the right side of a citroen dealer in the past too. Can anyone translate frog?

IMAG1087.jpg

IMAG1088.jpg

IMAG1089.jpg

IMAG1090.jpg

The newest bit of paper...

IMAG1091.jpg

Latest MOT

IMAG1092.jpg

And a HPI Check

IMAG1086.jpg

Had yesterday and today off work due to a runny bottom, so took a shot of the fleet when I got back from work yesterday morning (avoiding any bumps, the XM did well there)

IMAG1081.jpg

IMAG1082.jpg

IMAG1083.jpg

IMAG1084.jpg

Have found a nice wing in the right colour off a breaker on ebay for £30 delivered so hopefully I can afford that. Once I buy the right discs on Thursday I'll put it all together after work and go for a tentative drive around the block, then check the nuts, then go around the bypass, then check the nuts then maybe hoon it to chinnor and back and check the nuts again. Then tax it...

Had yesterday and today off work due to a runny bottom, so took a shot of the fleet when I got back from work yesterday morning (avoiding any bumps, the XM did well there)

Delayed reaction to the weekend's sudden wheel departure incident?

My reaction would have been immediate, and devastating.

Right the new incorrect discs arrived yesterday, and I'll take them down to the post room to see how much it will cost me to send them back. Apologetic email fired off to the seller  - NO EBAY, I DO NOT WISH TO OPEN A DISPUTE, I WAS THE FUCKWIT HERE OK??? grrrr

'Other Question' - That'll do

Took my mind off my smashed phone and smashed car by having a look at the history, and getting the current mot cert out ready (hopefully) for the weekend...

MOT's back to 2004...

That's bloody impressive, the previous owner's been sticking 20k+ a year onto this old thing even when it got into its teenage years.

True economy motoring.

Qty   Parts    Description Vehicle Reg Price 2 104545221 Eicher Brake Disc Citroen ZX 1.9 1994  l952nwk  £19.44 1 526770250 Pagid Cera-Tec Brake Lube 75ml     £2.62 1 524770272 Pagid Dot4 Brake Fluid 1Ltr     £4.51 1 CLICKANDCOLLECT Click and Collect Internet Order     £ 0.00 Sub Total:    £26.57 Total Amount payable upon collection : £26.57    

Lets see what tonight brings. Going to clean the calipers up a bit too since they will come off to fit the disc hence the brake grease and dot4 - the drivers side does feel a bit squeaky around the old disc.

Eicher do have a poor reputation, but a lot of it appears to be internet hype "I fitted Eicher pads to my 500HP Impreza before I took it to the Nordschleife... They are a pile of shite, they began to overheat and fade within the first 10 laps, never again !" etc.

In my experience, they aren't as well made as Brembo etc., but cost half the money and are good enough for everyday use by a sensible driver.

Ahhh their fitted now! And I;ve fitted Eicher discs and pads before and have been ok. Will keep an extra eye on them for you! TBH I wont be doing much hooning around!

As alluded to earlier, I got the XM MOT'd, then came back and got straight on with it! Not many pictures but:

Caliper sliders removed, the rust cleaned off with wire wool and thoroughly re-greased until they were bouncy once more (took note of everyones advice in other threads and bought proper brake grease rather than using coppaslip or normal grease)

Pushed the caliper piston in, cap on brake resevoir, push on brake, cap off, squeeze etc a few times just to free it up.

Coppaslip everywhere!

IMG_20140626_180622.jpg

And all back together. I cleaned the disc off with brake cleaner once done, dont worry!

IMG_20140626_182657.jpg

Everything felt great by hand, so I put the wheel back on and moved onto the drivers side

Which was more than overdue for fettling anyway!

IMG_20140626_184228.jpg

Tickled the caliper again and fitted everything back. The pads no longer scrape the disc like they used to!

I then came back in, ate some pizza then me and Dan (who drove us and buggared about with us on sat) went up the road. Initially he walked alongside whilst I let it tickover up the road, then we went for a drive

AND IT'S PERFECTLY FINE! Smooth, brakes seem alot better, every noise I heard on saturday is gone, it's brilliant. Kicking myself for not pulling over as soon as I heard the noise and checking but hey ho! We went to the pez station and pumped the spare up to 33psi from the 18 it was, and evened out the rest. I'm driving it to work tomorrow, and if that's a success then it will get taxed on saturday and a taxless XM with 363 days MOT will be put up for sale!

Immediate jobs to do:

Refit arch liner

Put the spare on the back, it's narrower than the other tyres

New part worns all round!

Investigate/keep an eye on the drivers side CV joint. It squeaked slightly when I rotated it by hand, although I couldnt hear anything when driving

Sort the buggared bolt holes out on the hub. Would I have any success with one of these? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151305240711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

$_57.JPG

just to sort them out, and I'll get a few more wheel bolts too, or should I send it into our local backstreet garage?

Either way, I can finally drive the fucker now! Added bonus, it looks like solid discs on the rears, so I may not send the solid ones back now, will have a check at the weekend and if they fit the rears I'll keep them, buy some new pads and sort the rear brakes out too. Will bleed each caliper out too when I find my brake nipple pipe (co-ax cable sheath).

Eicher do have a poor reputation, but a lot of it appears to be internet hype "I fitted Eicher pads to my 500HP Impreza before I took it to the Nordschleife... They are a pile of shite, they began to overhead and fade within the first 10 laps, never again !" etc.

In my experience, they aren't as well made as Brembo etc., but cost half the money and are good enough for everyday use by a sensible driver.

Amys has Eicher discs and pads on the rear for the last 15k, front pads for 19k, my old ZX had front eicher pads I think and my Puma had pads and discs!

The rears could well be mintex on the zx soon though!

Might try that, although would probably be a chore as I;d have to get a grinder, discs and a vice!

Their not too bad, the worse one has rounded each sharp edge off, the bolt looks a bit mushed but I can see the thread still and it winds in fine.

TBH it would probably be less faff to just get a new hub! Leaving it for now, my tyre plan is to get the rears done (bolts are fine, windy gun will be used), swap them on the the front at leisure then get the rears done again! The spare has a smaller tyre but I think the steel is the same size so I should be ok!

Good news! Glad it's worked out for you in the end.

A tap set would be a bit overkill: take a bolt to a proper tool shop, and get them to find you a matching tap. Buy holder, save literally £££ s.

Eicher brake stuff is fine too, if you're not going mental up the backroads. Which is why mine has Mintex now...

I have the same tap and die set. Quiet sturdy for the low cost. I paid 7.99 for mine from a old school hardware store. The chap has everything. Admittedly covered in dust in boxes. Well done with the motor. Red light looks like a overheat warning so could be a knackered sensor if the coolant is correct and its not overheating. Is it the zx that has a form of passive rear wheel steering?

The light is on to show that the light is still working, which on French electrics is a reason for celebration.

I had Eicher brake pads and they did exactly what I needed them to, which was stop the car without costing a fortune. They were pretty noisy, but my stereo had a volume control which sorted that problem out perfectly. I also fitted them to pretty worn brake discs (if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing half of and leave the rest until another day for double the satisfaction).

Ha! The light stays on with the ignition and goes off when the engine starts. Coolant seems to stay fine, I'll forget the light exists until its too late then.

Need to bed the brakes in more, theres just a few small contact lines on the discs ATM, will knock it into neutral and coast/hard brake up to junctions for now!

Theres an inch of slop in the brake pedal too before they start stopping. No idea if its supposed to do that or the system needs bleeding, been so used to hydro brakes now!

Came home from work at 60 on the m40, and it was fine. Came out of a 30 into a 60 (chinnor onto the Thame road is fun when quirt) and fucking booted it through all the gears and its fooking rapid! Used no fuel today either according to the guage, which goes up and down like a yoyo at the minute.

Speedo bobs up and down like a land rover below 30 too.

Bolts are still tight!

There is a speedo cable set in the boot, brand new and wrapped up.

If its a massive PITA then in the boot it can stay! Stops wobbling bang on 30 so it's speed camera safe!

I got the nokia car kit to work too after resetting it and it's not too bad. Amy says she can slightly hear herself but it's 10000% better than shouting into my phone on loudspeaker!