The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I have an apocalyptic woman cos we've gone away for the weekend and I've forgotten tea bags and breakfast cereal. Engage mega anger in coop when I say I don't care what cereal she buys choose one you like.

@New POD it gets easier after the first million years,yes?

11 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

I have an apocalyptic woman cos we've gone away for the weekend and I've forgotten tea bags and breakfast cereal. Engage mega anger in coop when I say I don't care what cereal she buys choose one you like.

just left 2 in Uttoxeter , wife and SIL  , I stayed for lunch and got back home , house , plonk , beer , steak and tv to myself now  ...for the weekend !!

16 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

One time my partner and I went away she didn't pack me any pants or trousers - best part was she packed for me because she said I'd leave it till the last minute and miss everything I needed 😅 Maybe I was meant to wander round like Donald Duck or something.

Hopefully they've discovered breakfast cereals, teabags and shops in whichever part of the country you're in currently!

1 hour ago, Barry Cade said:

I've done that many a time.. but the stupidly heavy record vice that I inherited from my dad has survived for more than 60 years. All modern vices are ....

There's a YouTube film where someone compared a load of vices for the amount of pressure they could exert . The winner was a custom made steel one he'd done himself. Second was a large vice made in the US in about 1930 which had had one side repaired after breaking like the op's. Even with that it beat all the factory made moderns.

4 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Usually the problem is elsewhere, this was just the pretext to blow off some steam. "You're getting worked up over nothing" would attract more anger towards you (don't ask!).

3 hours ago, artdjones said:

There's a YouTube film where someone compared a load of vices for the amount of pressure they could exert . The winner was a custom made steel one he'd done himself. Second was a large vice made in the US in about 1930 which had had one side repaired after breaking like the op's. Even with that it beat all the factory made moderns.

It was on fireball tools YT page I think 

just been pissing around with the C1 brakes again , the near side front was running warm , 

the other day I backed off the brake calliper , the pads were ok in the mountings , the piston moved ok , so I put it all back ..

yesterday it ran warm again with some pulls to the hedge under braking , 

stripped off the wheel again , the calliper was locked solid on  its mounts .. ? ?

undid the bottom slider pin bolt 1/8 a turn and it was ok , all floating again ....did it up again and it jammed again ...

so nipped it back up , made sure it worked , put it all back 

some how since  the last brake pads and disc change in the garage ,  it must of bent ??

now to order some new slider pins ......

4 hours ago, MikeR said:

Just finished trying to put in a replacement indicator lamp because the sealed in for life one has broke , think I will just run some wires off the front bulbs instead of trying to trace wires ....IMG_20220917_122410824_HDR.thumb.jpg.b94f3f0c0823a76853fa6a82f7b101bc.jpg

The tell tale in the instrument cluster ?

If so apparently it is an indicator stalk fault  

2 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Huh? How do they make sure that you get different electricity to other customers?

Especially when companies are always boasting about how much of the power you get is renewable, but still put up the price of every unit in line with the increase in gas prices.

4 hours ago, DavieW said:

I smell shite. OVO trying the green ransom to get people to install smart meters. 

20220917_144144.jpg

re; this bullshit about planting trees. I always imagined that senior management would gather round with a spade & a sapling. In reality, the company 'plant' millions of trees at a time by carpet bombing seeds over areas adjacent to deserts.

And don't get me started about Nike's use of 'fabrics recovered from the sea'.

Sodding smart phones

My Nokia has finally died after the ripe* old age of 3 years. That may seem a lot/adequate to a lot of people but I dont really think it is. Especially considering that one element of the fault started happening at around 18 months old  - where its really fiddly to get it to charge. In the past month or so, the battery has gradually died. Kept draining totally flat overnight and you'd be lucky to get an hours actual use out of it. Calculated capacity was around 30% (!) - Its a 3800mAh battery and it was only accepting around 1100-1200mAh to get it to 100%, where it would stop.

And this morning, it had died overnight, predictably. But now it wont accept a charge at all. It just keeps rebooting itself. 

I've rooted around my collection of old spare family phones and found my old Samsung one from 9 years ago and LG from 5 years ago, among various smashed iPhones and others (not me that broke them!) Both still working absolutely perfectly. In fact, they all do. Which is why I kept them. So now I've reverted to the LG, which is what I "upgraded" from 3 or so years ago 🙄 - If only they kept the software up to date so that you can actually run anything new on them, but it'll do for now.

Bollocks to upgrading/planned obsolesence!

So, me being me, I decided to try and fix it. Helpfully (no, really) the battery had ever so slightly swollen and lifted the screen up, meaning I didnt risk damaging it to try and remove it. I've removed the charge port and battery to get the part numbers, and a small grin is that I've got change from a tenner for the replacement parts :)

Fingers crossed it works!

Another grin is that I've logged into my google account and all of my contacts have automatically imported, which is very handy indeed because if the Nokia really is fucked I probably would have lost them all!

Seems they were never quite able to shake off the name "Nokia BRICK" because its as useful as one at the moment :(

7 hours ago, MikeR said:

Just finished trying to put in a replacement indicator lamp because the sealed in for life one has broke , think I will just run some wires off the front bulbs instead of trying to trace wires ....IMG_20220917_122410824_HDR.thumb.jpg.b94f3f0c0823a76853fa6a82f7b101bc.jpg

Erm, how comes you're in the centre console? The cluster is going to be run by CANbus. Unless you're trying to wire up an LED with the normal indicator bulbs?

9 times out of 10 its the cluster itself on these. Can be sent away for £100 if you can spare use of the car for a few days

https://www.revtronic.com/product/citroen-c1-instrument-cluster-indicator-not-working-copy/

image.thumb.png.2f12baf0a71ed7d9548e1361cbd60614.png

It so fucking well does fit - screw you Mr Bezos! But  I need it yesterday now so I guess I'm doomed to spend more money with the only man on the planet that owns a spacegoing penis.
Mind you - he flies it down to my front door in the middle of nowhere (West Wales) from Dunfermline next working day in his fancy spaceship and saves me the two hour trip to the 'local' factors.

All I have to do now is put the freakin' jigsaw puzzle that was once a van back together - just how difficult can a designer make it to trace electrical faults? There goes Sunday

35 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

I posted this in the Smart Motorways thread, but it boiled my piss. So it's here too.

Yes that is the M1

17590F77-7458-4CB4-9E55-0973D8E1E7A5.jpeg

E971A69B-6A65-45DD-97AE-30FA4D9B8492.jpeg

AE190431-13B1-4183-8288-80731F012E6D.jpeg

Dangerously an all to common site nowadays, the pair of them are risking their lives. Best to hop over the barrier and wave your arms about to warn drivers of the obstruction and phone Highways England so they can close the lane and put warning signs on the matrix's.