The grumpy thread

outlaw118

16 minutes ago, robinmasters said:

It's already £2,500 per tyre, how much do you earn a month??? 🤣

Maybe the police should start incentivising grassing on these people, like they did with drink drivers. 

But it’s not £2500 a tyre is it? At best it’s £60 for one or any number, normally it’s “ sorry officer, never noticed, I’ll  go straight to kwik fit “.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, Wgl2019 said:

Wife's car had a numberplate light out..... Was raining and cold so didn't check first but ordered some led units that just screw in to the existing holders as the internet said they come as a unit...... fitted one today and immediately started to smoke and has melted the connection. Turned out that I could have just put a new bulb in but now need a new holder and either a wiring repair of new mini loom.

£1 bulb turned into £40 of parts.

Fucksticks.

It turns out that frying one of the numberplate lights also has some strange effects on the car.

One side marker light, a brake light cluster and a main beam on the opposite side all stopped working. Fuses checked and all ok.

Started to feel a bit concerned that I may have buggered something in the cars brain however disconnecting the battery lead for 10 seconds before reattaching has restored normal service! 🥵

To end the grumpy sandwich I am now trying to source a second hand bit of loom from eBay. Strangely a few sellers have listed cars for breaking but seem confused by requests for parts. A new loom is £30 so may just buy this and avoid the hassle.

Items purchased from ebay seem to be taking longer and longer to arrive. Ordered oil and filter for the vectra last Tuesday - filter arrived Saturday. Oil not arrived as of yet. I can only assume couriers are struggling to get drivers - nothing I have ordered as come from outside the UK .

1 hour ago, reb said:

Yesterday when working on the car I absentmindedly rubbed my eye with a gloved finger. I realised it was stupid immediately, but it seemed fine so thought nothing more of it.

Today said eye is *angry* at me.

It's almost like getting grease and grit in your eye is a bad idea.

When the grease hits your eye like a big pizza pie thaaatss amoreeee 

44 minutes ago, Bren said:

Items purchased from ebay seem to be taking longer and longer to arrive. Ordered oil and filter for the vectra last Tuesday - filter arrived Saturday. Oil not arrived as of yet. I can only assume couriers are struggling to get drivers - nothing I have ordered as come from outside the UK .

I have ordered quite a lot of stuff over that past couple of weeks, every item delivered early, one the next day, arrived in an Amazon Prime box but I don't have a prime account.  He must be an Amazon seller too.

Talking of eBay, I sent a message to someone selling a car last night and when the copy appeared in my email it had my full name, email address and phone number showing as part of the message, guy I was speaking to confirmed he could read it too.
Tried to contact eBay to sort it out and spent 45 minutes on chat getting passed around from one disinterested script reader to another so no use there either,

Breach of GDPR, surely?

44 minutes ago, Wack said:

This makes me fucking grumpy , this cunt needs to be relieved of £300 by way of a fine , straight to the cash machine or a trip to court 

Have some fucking respect

At about 18 seconds I thought the bayonet might accidentally* catch her in the head.

Disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Agila said:

At about 18 seconds I thought the bayonet might accidentally* catch her in the head.

Disappointed.

Pity it didn't , can you imagine this happening 20 years ago , people just think they can do as they wish , the problem is they pretty much can , would she have done that in front of the White House or any state building in another country , I doubt it 

On 2/12/2022 at 10:05 AM, chaseracer said:

Go back, with the snag list.  Speak with Rob.

I'm not enjoying this new list of snags alongside the four figure bill. 

A test drive would have highlighted these faults. Sure, some of them may be coincidental/bad luck but to hand the car back and let you discover them... IMO, that's poor customer service. 

All it needed was a phone call to say, "we're running a bit late and your blower motor controller has failed."

On 2/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, Metal Guru said:

Can nobody overtake these days? I live approx 50 miles in all directions from any motorway / dual carriageway way , so spend most my driving life in rural A roads. Nearly everytime I get stuck in a queue (6-10)  of cars following a slow lorry / bus / caravan or worse tractor at 20-40 mph.  No one will attempt an overtake unless there is a mile long straight and then they pull out at 20 mph in 6th gear and take the whole straight to pass. And then everyone bunches up so you can’t overtake the queue in reasonable bits. Absolute rubbish driving, you might as well be on a train!

Same here, most of my driving is country A- and B-roads. 

I've made peace with it and I just make sure my cars have enough buttons to entertain me while I'm trundling at 20mph. 

To be honest the whole area around us has been decimated by HS2 and associated heavy machinery. 

18 minutes ago, Wack said:

people just think they can do as they wish

Speaking of which. It's now ok to not pay in full for stuff.

Young lad had £30 on him at a petrol station and put £30.03 in and was rightly asked to pay £30.03. 

Of course race got brought into it.

Do you know what we would all do if we only had £30, yeah I'd put in 25,26, or 29 quid in. That's it, I wouldn't expect anyone to bale me out or blame someone else doing their job.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bp-garage-threatens-call-police-26205227

On 2/12/2022 at 7:21 PM, Dyslexic Viking said:

I am very bored. And have cabin fever. I hate winter.

I felt a bit the same today. Nothing like Norway, but just rainy and cold and there was stuff I wanted to do outside but couldn't. 

Spring* is coming. 

(*snow)

26 minutes ago, grogee said:

I'm not enjoying this new list of snags alongside the four figure bill. 

A test drive would have highlighted these faults. Sure, some of them may be coincidental/bad luck but to hand the car back and let you discover them... IMO, that's poor customer service. 

All it needed was a phone call to say, "we're running a bit late and your blower motor controller has failed."

They do a test drive after work is done and apparently all was well. Indeed, mechanic man was very baffled. He also told me "well it's not the end of the world is it?"

What they didn't seem to notice is that the speedo needle was bouncing around like a mad thing. The cables are known to kink and eventually snap and mine was no exception, but now you drive at 5MPH and it's showing between 25 and -10 on the speedo, whereas before it was only a little bump. In fact, the needle didn't steady out until I was at an indicated 75, which is far, far worse than before I had the work done.

3 minutes ago, artdjones said:

They can be awkward to get the speedo working smoothly, I had to take the binnacle off again a couple of times when I had BXs. I got quite good at it.

It does make me wonder if it has fallen off or requires bodging to work again. I'll see what Chevronics say tomorrow. If they want it back again (and probably they will) I won't be a happy bunny.

20 minutes ago, grogee said:

I felt a bit the same today. Nothing like Norway, but just rainy and cold and there was stuff I wanted to do outside but couldn't. 

Spring* is coming. 

(*snow)

Yes winter is shit but is fortunately about 6 weeks to April and spring now I look forward to this. And about the middle of April the road salt is gone and the old cars can be driven again.

But I must try to make this year interesting as the last 3 have been very boring.

4 hours ago, Agila said:

Speaking of which. It's now ok to not pay in full for stuff.

Young lad had £30 on him at a petrol station and put £30.03 in and was rightly asked to pay £30.03. 

Of course race got brought into it.

Do you know what we would all do if we only had £30, yeah I'd put in 25,26, or 29 quid in. That's it, I wouldn't expect anyone to bale me out or blame someone else doing their job.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bp-garage-threatens-call-police-26205227

I’d say it’s not an unreasonable request. A pump can legally dispense 0.5% under , so that would be 15p worth., so asking for 3p to be waived , you could still be 12p overcharged.

Diesel was at £1.51 a litre the other day, not been that expensive in a long while if I remember rightly, I also paid £25 for 15L of E5 Premium, whereas before E10 came out I could get 15L for about £15, I know premium is more expensive anyway but still, a charge on the ordinary motorist, who run about in perfectly good old cars, no need for new ones to be built, besides there is more to go wrong with new cars

Does the fitting vibrate a lot? That's what usually kills the lower power bulbs prematurely.

That said, new bulbs (lucas in particular) are all total dog dirt nowadays. I repaired a Volvo truck dash the other month and had to put a full set of 38 bulbs in it (someone had pinched them when it was on the shelf) Before I had even finished bench testing it, 10 of the 12 backlight bulbs had gone, they lasted ten minutes!

I reckon it's because nobody is investing in incandescent bulb manufacture anymore so unless you're buying from sylvania or whoever, your bulbs are going to be made of worn out shite old equipment in a dying industry nobody really cares about.

7 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Yeeesssss!

I've driven that, before I moved down this way.

That'll be looking amazing after you've been over it with your mad skillz.

It's not too bad tbf, got most of the dents out and noticed the inner arch had gone. 

1644755121194.thumb.JPEG.9448ffa40ae67954510e3ffb960655f3.JPEG1644755103455.thumb.JPEG.334a2e6fcce1351715f9a1110ea717bc.JPEG

Bonnet is far better than expected too.