The grumpy thread

outlaw118

38 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Facebook Marketplace has managed to do its normal thing of get all the dross and piss takers out for things I have for sale.

Wheels & Tyres (up for £120) - I’ll give you £50 but I can’t collect until next weekend. FRO sunshine.

wife’s white bike (£90) nothing but low-ball offers. 25 quid is the highest offer so far.

stepdaughter’s red bike - “does it work? I don’t want to spend money on something that doesn’t work”. Yes it does work. If you’re interested you can ride it up and down the road and test the gears, brakes etc. “when you say it needs a service…..” it needs a new chain and might need an oil up. It’s £25 at the local bike shop. Otherwise it rides fine. “Will you take £10 if I have to service it?” No. Local bike shop offered me £50 as a part ex on a new bike for stepdaughter, I’d rather do that.

I guess it’s what you get for living in a town where people want top dollar for stuff they sell but won’t outlay a reasonable amount

I've found marketplace to be brilliant at shifting things. Thing is, the items either need to be immaculate, desirable or both. If not, assume you need to pitch them at rock-bottom prices to get shot of them. I still prefer it over ebay.

22 hours ago, Spurious said:

And speaking of overpriced shite, went into a furniture shop called Barker and Stonehouse in that big shopping park near Batley. Ms Spurious wanted a look whilst we picked up some crockery in home sense. 

Filled to the rafters with overpriced tat. Honestly. 

Look at this. It's a shelve made of welded box section with some reclaimed timber. Howfuckingmuch? 

IMG_20220205_155345.thumb.jpg.feed8448af212d30a81b0dd6f06a8503.jpg

Yes. £1279. On a "clear out". Fucks sake, fools and their money easily parted. Never mind fools, they'd need sectioning. 

IMG_20220205_155340.thumb.jpg.0b9ee13630f2ad43831759f1f1a2fecd.jpg

It is a Timothy Oulton! ( no ? me neither)

10 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Facebook Marketplace has managed to do its normal thing of get all the dross and piss takers out for things I have for sale.

Wheels & Tyres (up for £120) - I’ll give you £50 but I can’t collect until next weekend. FRO sunshine.

wife’s white bike (£90) nothing but low-ball offers. 25 quid is the highest offer so far.

stepdaughter’s red bike - “does it work? I don’t want to spend money on something that doesn’t work”. Yes it does work. If you’re interested you can ride it up and down the road and test the gears, brakes etc. “when you say it needs a service…..” it needs a new chain and might need an oil up. It’s £25 at the local bike shop. Otherwise it rides fine. “Will you take £10 if I have to service it?” No. Local bike shop offered me £50 as a part ex on a new bike for stepdaughter, I’d rather do that.

I guess it’s what you get for living in a town where people want top dollar for stuff they sell but won’t outlay a reasonable amount

There’s a saying these days ‘make my problem your problem’. He’s got no bloody money so he wants you to make allowance for it. Tell him to fuck off!

Mrs CSW and I decided to go away at the weekend.

Booked hotel in Weymouth. Got there at 1.30. Bit of a wander around, then checked at 3.

At 3.05, eldest sproglet phones. She is currently house sitting for my Aunt who has gone into a nursing home.

Hi Dad. Dont want to worry you, but water is pouring through the dining room ceiling.

At 3.15, we were back in the car, heading for Bristol.

By the time I arrived, the emergency plumber and been and went. Drain pipe from bath was knackered.

89 quid call out. 10 part. 90 wasted on hotel room that I spent less than 10 mins in. Redecorating cost tbd.

Oh and best western in Weymouth is not a nice hotel, so secretly glad we got called back.

23 hours ago, Spurious said:

And speaking of overpriced shite, went into a furniture shop called Barker and Stonehouse in that big shopping park near Batley. Ms Spurious wanted a look whilst we picked up some crockery in home sense. 

Look at this. It's a shelve made of welded box section with some reclaimed timber. Howfuckingmuch? 

Yes. £1279. On a "clear out". Fucks sake, fools and their money easily parted. Never mind fools, they'd need sectioning. 

For that I money I would expect Timothy Dalton.

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I've found marketplace to be brilliant at shifting things. Thing is, the items either need to be immaculate, desirable or both. If not, assume you need to pitch them at rock-bottom prices to get shot of them. I still prefer it over ebay.

Normally it is. This time it’s everyone telling me some sob story that their/their partner/kid/cousin’s dog’s bike got nicked, or just trying to ponce. The bike we put up for £45 is worth about £80-100 in good condition but this one, while rideable is a bit tatty and needs a good service. New chain, grease up and a bit of tlc someone will get a good bike, far better than the £90 tat from I’ve seen online.

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I just sold a couple of items. The 25l compressor went for the asking to a very nice man. The €50 spares or repair pressure washer went to a moron. He sent a complaining message saying that when he got it going the pump was leaking. I'd told him it was ok last time I used it (true) but that it had been sitting around for 4 years. He's now got it up for €125.

1 hour ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Mrs CSW and I decided to go away at the weekend.

Booked hotel in Weymouth. Got there at 1.30. Bit of a wander around, then checked at 3.

At 3.05, eldest sproglet phones. She is currently house sitting for my Aunt who has gone into a nursing home.

Hi Dad. Dont want to worry you, but water is pouring through the dining room ceiling.

At 3.15, we were back in the car, heading for Bristol.

By the time I arrived, the emergency plumber and been and went. Drain pipe from bath was knackered.

89 quid call out. 10 part. 90 wasted on hotel room that I spent less than 10 mins in. Redecorating cost tbd.

Oh and best western in Weymouth is not a nice hotel, so secretly glad we got called back.

That’s a bad turn of events 

although I’m surprised Best Western haven’t refunded you as you didn’t stay in the room 

On 2/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, Spurious said:

You've got the trade furniture company round the corner. A third of the price and good quality stuff IMO. Our house is full of their stuff. 

I like the Barker and Stonehouse sofas though when I was in. Didn't buy one though, because kids. 

https://www.tradefurniturecompany.co.uk/

On 2/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, Spurious said:

I disagree.

Price minus VAT= £1100.

Cost of Tim's Labour

If Tim earns £30,000 and works 220 days a year (365 days minus weekends, minus 4 weeks hols, minus 10 days sick)

=£135 per day.

Making time estimate (cutting metal, 40x welds, to do & clean up, make 5 wood shelves, oil, stain, wax, clean up  metal etc:  1 week. 5 x £135 =

Cost of Tim's Labour £675

Cost of Materials

Estimate £30 timber

£30 metal

£40 sundries

Cost of Materials £100

That's £775 before it's left the workshop, and not taking into account:

Designing time? Couple of days at £135 divided by the no of them made

Cost of rent insurance and heating for workshops 5 days?

Cost to buy & maintain machines. Safety certification?

Delivery costs to shop? Cost to run delivery vehicle?

And then there's the shop's cut.

Shop cut (retail price often cost x2 + VAT.)

Conclusion: I don’t like it and I wouldn’t buy it but I don’t think it’s over priced if it's a hand made piece of furniture. I'd prefer the world to be full of these than Billy Bookcases.

7 minutes ago, inconsistant said:

If Tim earns £30,000 and works 220 days a year (365 days minus weekends, minus 4 weeks hols, minus 10 days sick)

=£135 per day.

I'd be inclined to follow your point, but it only adds up if they're making them in the UK with UK sourced materials

They're made in China. From reclaimed wood.

image.png.1bc70b336bd6cdc429ea3a50fb63e0e4.png

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Normally it is. This time it’s everyone telling me some sob story that their/their partner/kid/cousin’s dog’s bike got nicked, or just trying to ponce. The bike we put up for £45 is worth about £80-100 in good condition but this one, while rideable is a bit tatty and needs a good service. New chain, grease up and a bit of tlc someone will get a good bike, far better than the £90 tat from I’ve seen online.

My nice folder, Dawes Kingpin... some cachet - I read, was had for £35 and a minter >> selling in North Shields he got sick of MBs and, in desperation, cranked it out -50%.

If he had trannied/mate had ... to Home Counties, then derv would likely been covered.

1 hour ago, goosey said:

That’s a bad turn of events 

although I’m surprised Best Western haven’t refunded you as you didn’t stay in the room 

Well technically I did stay in the room for 10 mins. Pre paid. No cancellations. So either way not getting a refund.

To be fair. I would have happily paid double not to stay there.

I'm no hotel snob. Premier Inn is my go to hotel chain.

But PI rooms are 10 times better than the room we were given.

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

I'd be inclined to follow your point, but it only adds up if they're making them in the UK with UK sourced materials

They're made in China. From reclaimed wood.

image.png.1bc70b336bd6cdc429ea3a50fb63e0e4.png

Hang on, so they ship their reclaimed wood over to China, to be knocked together into a book case by a 12-year-old earning 50p a day and then shipped all the way back to Blighty?  That's not very environmentally friendly, as well as making the price even more of a pisstake than I'd previously thought.

3 minutes ago, paulplom said:

I hear we're in for a bad spell of wether.

My neck of the woods got the worst of it over the weekend. We're just giving it to yous now. 😝

On that note, the junction at the end of my street was coated in black ice... which was fun* today.

15 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Hang on, so they ship their reclaimed wood over to China, to be knocked together into a book case by a 12-year-old earning 50p a day and then shipped all the way back to Blighty?  That's not very environmentally friendly, as well as making the price even more of a pisstake than I'd previously thought.

You find a lot of the people that campaign tirelessly about the environment pick and choose on things like this, up in arms at waste but will use tonnes of CO2 to ship something recycled from the other side of the globe...

Last night's delivery fun. 'Your Amazon parcel has been left outside your garage door'.

1007575696_Garagedoor.thumb.jpg.c1bed4dede340edd1cc4c93584f98427.jpg

That's not a garage door by any stretch of the imagination. Furthermore; it's not even my door. It belongs to the fat fucking cat thief who I no longer speak to that lives next next door.

Further, furthermore; it's lagging it down with rain, the parcel will come to no harm & I ain't going out again tonight. She'll bring it round later...

And she did.

3 hours ago, New POD said:

DPD seem to be able to understand simple instruction. 

Screenshot_20220207-094949_Chrome.jpg

20220129_105158.jpg

I have that system but a large cupboard, had gas and electric meters and a large shelf, plus a larger space below where the bin used to live in the days before wheelie bins.  Except the trolley jack and axle stands are domiciled there now.  Instructions on the door.  It is a standard Euro lock, I leave the key n the lock on the inside of the door so they put the package in the cupboard, remove the key, close the door and lock it then post the key.

Up to now it has worked admirably.

3 hours ago, inconsistant said:

I disagree.

Price minus VAT= £1100.

Cost of Tim's Labour

=£135 per day.

Making time estimate (cutting metal, 40x welds, to do & clean up, make 5 wood shelves, oil, stain, wax, clean up  metal etc:  1 week. 5 x £135 =

Cost of Tim's Labour £675

Cost of Materials

Estimate £30 timber

£30 metal

£40 sundries

Cost of Materials £100

That's £775 before it's left the workshop, and not taking into account:

Designing time? Couple of days at £135 divided by the no of them made

Cost of rent insurance and heating for workshops 5 days?

Cost to buy & maintain machines. Safety certification?

Delivery costs to shop? Cost to run delivery vehicle?

And then there's the shop's cut.

Shop cut (retail price often cost x2 + VAT.)

Conclusion: I don’t like it and I wouldn’t buy it but I don’t think it’s over priced if it's a hand made piece of furniture. I'd prefer the world to be full of these than Billy Bookcases.

I think you're way overestimating how long it takes to make one of those. I can't see Tim, or Kwai Chang Oulton , or whatever he's called  making less than 10 a week.  

Old faithful pressure washer was leaking more than spraying earlier.

20220207_142200.thumb.jpg.fc3c851dd927f3e72b4b6c6223f32a6d.jpg

20220207_143132.thumb.jpg.9c8640b5ef86d21c86c1ff9492823223.jpg

Stripped it down and found the reason why, snapped near were the outlet flow goes. Fair enough I must have used and abused it for over 10 years.

20220207_143345.thumb.jpg.64260edd8fabf26234249995220907f9.jpg

On closer inspection it appears to have been bodged before, very odd as I purchased it new from a shop years ago.

I've glued it back up but doubt it will hold very well. New parts only £12 posted so not too bad, there's plenty of parts availability and nice exploded diagrams for these which was a pleasant surprise.

32 minutes ago, artdjones said:

I think you're way overestimating how long it takes to make one of those. I can't see Tim, or Kwai Chang Oulton , or whatever he's called  making less than 10 a week.  

Surely there can't be 10 people a week stupid enough to pay 2 grand for a Made in China book shelf?

33 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Yeah, I take everything back. I was thinking along the lines of creative artisan type working conditions. 

1 hour ago, loserone said:

Did she bring the cat, too?

The cat hasn't been back into her house since the fair wife and I stood in the street blowing mountain rescue whistles, banging saucepans and shouting 'Cat abduction, the woman at number nine has stolen our cat'. 'Animal abduction, someone call the police'.

Fucker.

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

You find a lot of the people that campaign tirelessly about the environment pick and choose on things like this, up in arms at waste but will use tonnes of CO2 to ship something recycled from the other side of the globe...

Like this.......not recycled but dumped.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-60249712

3 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

My nice folder, Dawes Kingpin... some cachet - I read, was had for £35 and a minter >> selling in North Shields he got sick of MBs and, in desperation, cranked it out -50%.

If he had trannied/mate had ... to Home Counties, then derv would likely been covered.

Anyone?  I've mislaid my 2Sav translation module... 😁