The grumpy thread

outlaw118

thats the trip to the dentist done   and I am one tooth short of a full mouth  .. and feel like I have been punched in the gob

it was 50/50 for filling or extraction , but we went for the extraction , which later proved the best thing to do anyway .

then the 2nd extraction was done which involved inserting my bank card into the machine ......

must admit this dentist was great , quick service , lots of advice ,   suppose thats the advantages of a private dentist

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

How much of a glance of an arc do you have to see to get Arc Eye? Caught the arc but my helmet (fnarr fnarr) didn’t bob down in time, it was for a second or less?

I expect I’ll find out at 3am...

You'll be fine- I managed to catch the arc flash twice a couple weeks back and had no issues.

Why are you in a bad mood? says the Ma.

Well... I've had most of the day sat in A&E with a potential blood clot for the Mrs. (wasn't in the end), then I've come home and stood in a pool of piss you've let the dog do on the carpet, then the little fucker has bit my ear and there's blood dripping on my shirt. So yeah, I'm in a bad mood for no reason at all....

Had two super brief power cuts which appear to have confused something that Talk talk uses in the exchange. I've tried their router which we use as a backup, reset our modem and even reset our main router's WAN connection but none of it has fixed the problem. Both routers showed an uplink to the outside world and an ISP provided IP address, but there's no internet. Weird and annoying.

17 hours ago, Crackers said:

Earlier this week, the considerate* landlords of the unoccupied flat above me decided to have a number of electric ventilation fans/space heaters put in there, for reasons unbeknownst to me. 

In their unending kindness, they've decided to leave them on 24/7. They're bloody loud and these modern-ish flats have paper-thin floors/ceilings so most of the noise and vibration is coming straight down into my bedroom. 

I haven't slept a wink so far tonight and I can't even go and knock on the door to tell them to shut up as there's nobody there. 

I don't know who their estate agent is, so I'll be sticking a pointed but polite note on the door in the morning. 

You sure it's not a weed farm ???

22 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Had two super brief power cuts which appear to have confused something that Talk talk uses in the exchange. I've tried their router which we use as a backup, reset our modem and even reset our main router's WAN connection but none of it has fixed the problem. Both routers showed an uplink to the outside world and an ISP provided IP address, but there's no internet. Weird and annoying.

So it seems there's something wrong with a talktalk network server somewhere because 87.0.0.0 IP addresses work and 93.0.0.0 addresses don't. Of course the router connects to the latter every single time.

22 minutes ago, omegod said:

You sure it's not a weed farm ???

No...

but I haven't seen, heard or smelt any... *ahem* "equipment" going in or out, there's no shady late night activity, and I saw the fan heaters get delivered in a buildbase/hirebase van so I'm hoping they're only there to dry out new plaster or something. 

They look like these things. 

image.thumb.png.3e26dfe4788c46d8a6e11d472e8c97d4.png

41 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

As an IT nerd I'll say that brown outs are worse than black outs.

I'd rather the equipment had time to shut off properly before being brought back to life.

5 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

As an IT nerd I'll say that brown outs are worse than black outs.

I'd rather the equipment had time to shut off properly before being brought back to life.

Indeed, both cuts lasted around 20 seconds but seems to have fucked whatever equipment thats concerned with 90 and above series addresses. The annoying part is that I have to repeatedly disconnect the DSL lead from the router so the address renews.

13 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Apologies for this post on a fucking car forum, but I've just got nobody in the world to talk to about this. I'll probably delete it.

My Nan has Alzheimer's and Dementia. Quite advanced. She's forgetting a lot, but it's mainly making her turn absolutely awful, like a scheming bitchy teenage girl who's just trying to cause drama. She's always had a bit of a streak of this, but as her brain goes, all that is left is nastyness. She's made it impossible for my mum to care for her by making up imaginary emergencies at all times of the day and night just for attention to the point where it'd caused my otherwise fairly healthy 59 year old mum to have a series of strokes and she was hospitalised for a while.

As such my wife and I have stepped in and taken over nans care to the best extent we can while both working long hours anyway.

We went round with her social worker the other day in order to get her to sign some paperwork to give me lasting power of attorney, so I could help with her finances as she's unable to use a debit card in the shop across the road, and so I can make medical decisions before she inevitably gets worse. Totally compos mentis, she was having a good day and we 100% made sure she understood and was comfortable with this, social worker was present etc.

Within half an hour of us leaving, she was on the blower to my uncle (who's conveniently fucked off to the USA and left us to deal with her) claiming we were forcing her to sign forms under duress that she didn't understand and now I've got angry emails from him accusing us of dodgy stuff.

I can't do right for doing wrong, and dealing with this sort of thing is something I absolutely don't have the skills to do. She's impossible to deal with and just does absolutely everything she can to make everyone's life around her as hard as she can. Won't take her tablets, won't accept carers coming in to check on her on an afternoon.

We're both worried she'll accuse us of something again and it'll end up escalating, so for our own sake as much as anything we're sort of forced to just hand the responsibility of her over to social care and take a step back. But as much as she's forcing us to do this, she's still an increasingly frail and confused old woman who could be a lot more happy if she would just cooperate and it's making me so frustrated and guilty.

Arsehole uncle the the USA is also quite happy to stick his boot in from across the pond to make things even harder for us.

We're in the same boat with my gran. It's getting harder and harder by the day. Nearly everything she does now is for attention, refuses carers, forgets pills... then phones anyone in the village who will listen and say we're not doing enough, neglecting her etc. 

19 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

Ironically - we're working from home 24/7 without issue. team day - just as we've not been together since time immemorial and the office network is kicking us off constantly....... Not sure we'll all put up with it much longer after lunch. 

Coffee is shit too!

Working from home quite happily on Tuesday, power across Canterbury goes off for about five minutes.  No big deal?  Well, it is when the group policies don't re-apply to all of the desktop computers properly when they start up (amongst other things).  Cue phone calls: 'My homescreen on my browser has changed', 'I can't get into X application' 'I can't see where the printer is, it's gone!' and the obvious but depressing: 'My computer has switched off and I don't know how to switch it back on again...'

11 hours ago, Crackers said:

No...

but I haven't seen, heard or smelt any... *ahem* "equipment" going in or out, there's no shady late night activity, and I saw the fan heaters get delivered in a buildbase/hirebase van so I'm hoping they're only there to dry out new plaster or something. 

They look like these things. 

image.thumb.png.3e26dfe4788c46d8a6e11d472e8c97d4.png

I've seen those when insurance companies send them out to a house with flood damage from a burst pipe or whatever.

14 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Why are you in a bad mood? says the Ma.

Well... I've had most of the day sat in A&E with a potential blood clot for the Mrs. (wasn't in the end), then I've come home and stood in a pool of piss you've let the dog do on the carpet, then the little fucker has bit my ear and there's blood dripping on my shirt. So yeah, I'm in a bad mood for no reason at all....

Rather than answer the question. Ask her what mood she would be in if the following things happened to her ?  Put her on the spot, which will* make her feel guilty for not seemingly giving a shit about others. 

6 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Working from home quite happily on Tuesday, power across Canterbury goes off for about five minutes.  No big deal?  Well, it is when the group policies don't re-apply to all of the desktop computers properly when they start up (amongst other things).  Cue phone calls: 'My homescreen on my browser has changed', 'I can't get into X application' 'I can't see where the printer is, it's gone!' and the obvious but depressing: 'My computer has switched off and I don't know how to switch it back on again...'

Laughed a little - have to admit it....... Our remote policies are a little over eager and keep looping randomly for some reason meaning cascading windows of Outlook et al. Apparently they're so pissed off with users getting locked out of accounts due to ignoring password reset warnings - we get them every fucking day with a countdown from 90 sodding days..... 

Hybrid working FTMFW apparently. 

They still haven't gotten the hang of notifications on environment updates/patching/outage warnings....... twats

Well the speedo repair was brief. Had it all connected up and the needle was moving smoothly, but there was a loud rubbing noise. I disconnected the speedo and it still made the noise. I separated, aligned and connected together both parts for a second time and everything was silent, but the speedo wasn't working again. I tested the upper cable's connection by turning the part which connects to the lower cable and the speedo responded, meaning the lower cable no longer works. Yay.

8 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

Laughed a little - have to admit it....... Our remote policies are a little over eager and keep looping randomly for some reason meaning cascading windows of Outlook et al. Apparently they're so pissed off with users getting locked out of accounts due to ignoring password reset warnings - we get them every fucking day with a countdown from 90 sodding days..... 

Hybrid working FTMFW apparently. 

They still haven't gotten the hang of notifications on environment updates/patching/outage warnings....... twats

We turned off mandatory password resets when we introduced Oauth2 - based MFA for everybody (rough estimate, around 25,000 people staggered over around 6 weeks).  We got remarkably few complaints about it and when people did complain, I was wheeled out to send them my patented 'Wall o' text' that I wrote in anticipation of such disgruntlement.

Funnily enough when I pointed out that they could be personally liable for a data breach under GDPR regulations and face a massive fine from their own pocket, most of them shut up.  I got very few replies to that particular response.  We bought 100 TOTP tokens and only ended up giving out around a dozen because everybody got in line and used the Microsoft Authenticator app or for the thick ones, SMS verification - which isn't really ideal but you try introducing the app to people that can't turn on a computer, you're in for a World of pain.

I hate to be that guy who hates on cyclists but.....

As I was cleaning windows today I noticed 3  children aged 8-10 cycling down the pavement being shepherded along by their mother riding in the road, warning them to avoid running into the little old ladies walking along. 

On a level of stupidity with the man above. I like cycling but I  try and do it in a similar way to driving, i.e. by not obstructing people or doing anything dangerous.

It's a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but oh my word Autodoc have got to have one of the most mobile device unfriendly websites I have ever come across.

Google Search Console has to take the cake though...which I find hugely ironic given that their system badgered me incessantly about mobile usability issues on my own site until I sorted it...whereas their own website is *utterly* unusable on a mobile device.  You'd think they would at least be able to design a webpage that works...

The bit below the orange line is the area you have to actually work with - everything above it is fixed and can't be scaled.

Screenshot_20220225_233956.thumb.jpg.f3f2592b2783033f4d3188e53390c50a.jpg

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

It's a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but oh my word Autodoc have got to have one of the most mobile device unfriendly websites I have ever come across.

Google Search Console has to take the cake though...which I find hugely ironic given that their system badgered me incessantly about mobile usability issues on my own site until I sorted it...whereas their own website is *utterly* unusable on a mobile device.  You'd think they would at least be able to design a webpage that works...

The bit below the orange line is the area you have to actually work with - everything above it is fixed and can't be scaled.

Screenshot_20220225_233956.thumb.jpg.f3f2592b2783033f4d3188e53390c50a.jpg

It's much easier to use the app for Autodoc. 

11 hours ago, artdjones said:

I hate to be that guy who hates on cyclists but.....

As I was cleaning windows today I noticed 3  children aged 8-10 cycling down the pavement being shepherded along by their mother riding in the road, warning them to avoid running into the little old ladies walking along. 

On a level of stupidity with the man above. I like cycling but I  try and do it in a similar way to driving, i.e. by not obstructing people or doing anything dangerous.

There are many many twats in the world. 

Some of them ride bikes. 

Being a cyclist doesn't make you a twat. They are just twats.