Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Anyone know what Volvo S60's are like? (2001 model)

The missus has terminally borked her Aldi and has expressed an interest in one, I've only ever had 850's and 940's.

(Question in here, because modern)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're fine. If you don't mind having to cross into 4 adjacent counties to perform a U turn. 

Seriously, I'm sure the 827 limo I once drove had a better turning circle than my V70.

Stereo in the Bentley. Took it to a guy who was/is recommended and to be honest, he struck me as a complete arse!  All airs and graces and wearing a company logo's polo shirt but working out of the back of his house. 57 reg Freeloader on the drive...

Anyway, he gives me a bit of the old chat and quotes me £60.

Rings me today and more of the chat, found corrosion on a pcb and done what he can but wants the car for the whole day to fiddle with it. He wants me to leave the car....

That ain't happening!

Am I being Bentley taxed again? Never had a stereo fixed before, just buy a new one....

Fitting an Alpine of that era shouldnt take more than half an hour even if he has to make up an adaptor for the wiring. A whole day to fiddle with it eh? either the stereo works or it doesnt and if he is a repair man he will have a test-bed to try it.... Shouldnt need the car for anything. Testing the speakers maybe? thats not even two minutes.

I couldnt say anything about the repair cost - seems a little steep to me, but then many places have a fixed price initial charge then parts n labour on top, so not unbelievable.

Diesel!

Dammit. You might be lucky though.. it's because diesel cars didn't have to be fully OBD compliant until 2005, but a lot of them are anyway. Failing that, find someone with a snap-on ethos or solus to read it. Other scanners are available, but these ones are common and cheapish if they don't have the latest updates.

Which model is it?

The thermostat might not help, I'd check the air filter and clean the MAF sensor and egr valve/ boost pressure sensor if it has them.

Giving it an Italian tune up might do wonders too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alfa 147 8v.

If it's sooty black smoke, bang a new air filter in if and give it a bloody good thrashing on the motorway- it's usually just shit clogging up the exhaust side of things.

Have you ever had the EGR valve off for cleaning?

Linky to the fiat forum EGR cleaning guide:

http://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-guides/263681-clean-egr-valve-1-9jtd-8v-engine.html

Otherwise, check all the turbo hoses for splits, especially if it seems down on power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammit. You might be lucky though.. it's because diesel cars didn't have to be fully OBD compliant until 2005, but a lot of them are anyway. Failing that, find someone with a snap-on ethos or solus to read it. Other scanners are available, but these ones are common and cheapish if they don't have the latest updates.

Cheers my friendly local mechanic is sunning himself at the moment so may try one of the cheapo eBay ones on the off chance.

What do I need to read the fault codes on an 03 focus. I have flashing light of doom and need to find out what it's trying to tell me!

Try pressing and holding trip reset with ignition on to enter a simple diag menu, one of the screens list fault codes, but.normally only seems to have battery related ones whenever I've looked.

If I buy a private plate of the dvla and not use it straight away, do I need to do anything else???

Or just buy it and not put it on anything, I am not making money or anything it's just too new to put on anything.

So might not be used for ages.

I'll be on a ten year retention

Just file it away safe that's all you need to do

I thought that but the MoT & the insurance dates don't match.

Edit to add, the MoT  history will show the mileage between MoTs, but the car has been MoT'd for 7months before the insurance was taken out.

There's a difference between mileage limit and estimated annual mileage. Most regular policies ask how many miles you're going to do to weight the premium - do 50k, pay more than someone doing 5k. However they don't ask for mileage so at best they'll estimate it from MOT records, and get stroppy if you're miles out. Probably won't be able to prove a few percent over.

Classic will usually ask for start mileage and cancel your policy if you forget to wind the odo back before you hoon your car into a bus full of nuns on their way to the kitten show. One mile over gives them the right to void your cover.

Yeah on my classic insurance I had to give starting mileage, and mileage for both cars when I swapped to a different one, but they didn't ask for an ending mileage.

As already said they will only bother investigating if they're trying to not pay out for something.

IIRC they can't limit your 3rd party cover if you're over mileage but I can't remember where I read this.

I told them I'd do 3k in my camper but only ended up doing 900 last year. I felt like I'd wasted money but when ringing round for quotes to renew it made no difference whether I said 1k or 3k. It also made no difference when flux "mirrored" my 12 years NCB either.

You can lie all you want to get the insurance, but if you flip it roof first into a centre for rehabilitating disabled kittens they will check out the declarations you made. Despite any lies on your part they are still legally required to pay out the thrid party claims, but wont pay out for your damages if you are fully comp and are within their rights to pursue you to recover what they pay out to third parties.

I'm a wee bit worried about my mileage in the Volvo. I estimated 8000 miles, which I didn't get near with previous cars, but I'm going to be well over this year because of my habit of swanning off to Wales or Skye etc. all the time.

Often things that you think will reduce your insurance, like driving a smaller car or doing fewer miles, can actually increase it.

I'm a wee bit worried about my mileage in the Volvo. I estimated 8000 miles, which I didn't get near with previous cars, but I'm going to be well over this year because of my habit of swanning off to Wales or Skye etc. all the time.

Often things that you think will reduce your insurance, like driving a smaller car or doing fewer miles, can actually increase it.

If you think you might go over the limit then ring them and increase it. I had to do it on my Rolls last year. It cost 30 quid for the change but at least I know if the worst happens I will be ok.