ST170s

Jim Bell

I've no experience of the Focus but have of some of the other contenders.

Clio 172/182s can be had for under a grand. They are great fun but WILL break. They can also be challenging to work on.

Civic Type Rs go like fuck but most have been barried. You'd also need to spend nigh on £2k to buy one that's not a wreck, unless you ask me very nicely :)

A Corolla or Celica T-Sport is a leftfield choice. The Corolla is pretty bland but the Celica is a nice wee car.They both come with a 1.8 190 bhp engine that won't stop reving til you're over 8000rpm. Best of all you can sell it to me once you're done so I can stick the engine into the MR2

If I recall the 190 engine almost never made the power Toyota claimed. 170 was more likely. Not too bad but not a proper replacement for the GT4. I would like T-Sport Celica, but they're getting old now.

I don't think the ST170 ever existed as an estate out of the factory?

A mate has one.

A good clean ST170 is the Ford to buy now. It's the Mark 1 Mexico of Focusususses. Remember when Mexicos were worthless? Focus RS values (the proper 5 pot one) have really taken off and they're out of reach now. A really nice Imperial blue 3 door (forget the rest) with sensible miles is going to be a free car - you will get all your money back and then some.

You need to look at it as a long term thing - keep it five years. The shit ones will be gone and nice ones will be 5 grand.

No advisories for rot anywhere, have you bought it yet?

No. But.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192603230260

I r high bidder.

Needs new number plates as the ones on it have seemingly delaminated causing a blurring effect. Other than that, it looks ok. In the pics.

Estates are a nice rarity, especially in a good colour.  I reckon either one of the ST170-only blues or grey are best, black not so much in my humble opinion.  All the black ones seem to look very scruffy but then again it doesn't hide scratches and scuffs very well.  That one Jimx2 found looks alright though, it's got the desirable Xenons and climate control, might have the quickclear windscreen too - best check that all works though!

There's a few unique bits under the bonnet on an ST170 that can give trouble, various minor things can cause the EML to come on and often it seems to be a persistent niggle that stays with the car for years.  The IMRC (Inlet Manifold Runner Control) seems to be very common:

http://fordclub.co.uk/topic/21619-st170-imrc-transistor-fix/

Something to look out for.  I'm not convinced mine is working properly, it's running really well and drives so much better now than it did when I got it following a full set of new ignition bits and a fuel filter but there's still an odd hesitation around 2000RPM, which the ST170 is well known for.  

I bought a six month-old Silver 3-door ST170 with Custom Pack in 2003. AE52 VEP - Looks like it might have died in 2016.

As previously stated, everything happens at the top of the rev range, which is great fun when you're in the mood, but for everyday driving, they can feel a little flat.

Thirstiest car 'everyday' I've ever owned - Averaged around 25mpg.

Interior was pretty low rent and only redeemed by the heated leather Recaros which were excellent. The stereo with the sub-woofer in the boot was good too.

I didn't really bond with it at the time, and traded it within 10 months for a VW Golf V5 170 Sportline which was a far superior car in everyway in my opinion.

They are starting to fetch good coin those estates. Will watch that listing with interest.

Edit: *Cutrent high bidder.

Cav if you win and need an off road parking space for that for a bit, I have one in Herne Bay (further away I know, but still, offer is there). Might also be able to persuade my MiL to have it on her drive way in Romford for a bit #appropriatelocation

No. But.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192603230260

I r high bidder.

Needs new number plates as the ones on it have seemingly delaminated causing a blurring effect. Other than that, it looks ok. In the pics.

I think the plates on BW03 YTE will be ok, if I can see through the internet that the number plate of BW03 YTE is BW03 YTE then surely the MOT man can.

Cav if you win and need an off road parking space for that for a bit, I have one in Herne Bay (further away I know, but still, offer is there). Might also be able to persuade my MiL to have it on her drive way in Romford for a bit #appropriatelocation

Thanks chief, let's see how it goes.

Never understood bidding early. You just cost yourself more money.

I don’t understand telling everyone you are bidding also. :-)

You are of course correct, I just do it sometimes and see what happens. Extremely unlikely I'll win it, but occasionally something comes up trumps.

If you're brave/rich there's this Wilsonandagain:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-ST170-Spares-Repairs/183324085754?hash=item2aaef78dfa:g:zf8AAOSw8hxbSQw8

It's on my radar, and not far away but the 'private listing' bits is as worrying as the HGF. It's also got no MOT.

I don't get why they are so blooming slow though, I've driven a few standard and one with the uprated inlet, cams etc and ecu modified and even that was crap

They were weighty old beasts those first ST’s and that Mondeo engine was never going to be a revvy, exciting motor like a TU5JP4 or whatever went in the Clio 172 etc.