What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I found out I'm going to Florida with with work in 3 weeks. It's only for 5 days and it's to go to a work trade show. It is an automotive trade show though so I'm hoping there's going to be plenty metal to perv over. I fancied hiring a Camero for a day, which I thought would be easy but all the hire companies seem to just do non specific ameriblobs.

No I'll have a look at that though. Some of the hire places say they have Cameros but when you look at the fine print it says * or simliar, which would probably turn out to be a Sebring convertible or something.

I used to love playing the 'or similar' trick when I worked in rental.

Example -

Mouthy tosser / wannabe gangsta comes in to pick up what he thinks will be a Golf.

Gets a Kia Cerrato.

Whines like a girl.

But its just like a Golf...

Landing a couple of 1970s Matchbox cars that have been proving elusive for £1.50 in a charity shop. Would have easily cost me a lot more elsewhere.

Tanzara for 50p

7253_Tanzara_orgL.JPG

Camping Cruiser for £1

Matchbox_Camping001.jpg

Also having the good fortune to land a set of Lotus alloys for the Princess that, in a roundabout sort of a way, saves me money on getting the steels refurbished well enough that they stop leaking. Been a good couple of days for Stuff.

I love charity shops... I popped into scope on my way home and got a bunch of films on VHS.

Blade runner, The great escape, A matter of life and death, Much ado about nothing, Mrs Brown and Calamity Jane, two quid the lot. That's the weekend viewing sorted!

20130113_001151a.jpg

Got myself a Cambridge Audio NP30 today. I've been after a net radio for a while, having missed out on DAB and most of the streaming stuff. My machine is utter shite at streaming audio and doing other stuff simultaneously, and having come bloody close to buying a Marantz NA 7004 before finding out it didn't have wi-fi, and discounting the NAD C446 for being too bloody expensive, this seemed the logical choice. OK, I had to go to R**h*** S****s to get it, but no matter.

It finally means I can listen to NPR, KVCU and Zack FM without the machine shitting itself every thirty seconds. Plus 6 Music, Radio York and odds and sods on Radio Guernsey and Jersey (got friends involved with these).

My Dell doesn't like iPlayer either, despite several people 'sorting' the disc and surrounding hardware so that they don't go to pieces (rebuild #9 if you're interested). Incidentally, SCTSH_ANDY built me a machine that goes like fuck but checks out if you dare install a piece of software after a reboot. Or put it in a room that's too hot. Or cold. Or involved with any kind of GM take-over.

Having never used any of the streaming services, I'm gonna get into those, as well as uPnP server usage. I can't get the latter to work. I can see the homegroup (tried to create one in XBMC - really slick but the UP30 can't see the directories).

And yeah, that is a Marantz DD82 being used as an input monitor. I haven't got any inputs left on my amp - it's filled with a CD player, turntable pre-amp, cassette deck, DCC player, MD deck and an FM Tuner (although I can probably sack the latter two off).

Late Sunday night here now, I have just been watching the film Hot Fuzz and thoroughly enjoyed it. I kept wondering when sargeant Angel was going to wake up from his nightmare! Worth a look at if you get a chance.

20130113_001151a.jpg

Got myself a Cambridge Audio NP30 today. I've been after a net radio for a while, having missed out on DAB and most of the streaming stuff. My machine is utter shite at streaming audio and doing other stuff simultaneously, and having come bloody close to buying a Marantz NA 7004 before finding out it didn't have wi-fi, and discounting the NAD C446 for being too bloody expensive, this seemed the logical choice. OK, I had to go to R**h*** S****s to get it, but no matter.

It finally means I can listen to NPR, KVCU and Zack FM without the machine shitting itself every thirty seconds. Plus 6 Music, Radio York and odds and sods on Radio Guernsey and Jersey (got friends involved with these).

My Dell doesn't like iPlayer either, despite several people 'sorting' the disc and surrounding hardware so that they don't go to pieces (rebuild #9 if you're interested). Incidentally, SCTSH_ANDY built me a machine that goes like fuck but checks out if you dare install a piece of software after a reboot. Or put it in a room that's too hot. Or cold. Or involved with any kind of GM take-over.

Having never used any of the streaming services, I'm gonna get into those, as well as uPnP server usage. I can't get the latter to work. I can see the homegroup (tried to create one in XBMC - really slick but the UP30 can't see the directories).

And yeah, that is a Marantz DD82 being used as an input monitor. I haven't got any inputs left on my amp - it's filled with a CD player, turntable pre-amp, cassette deck, DCC player, MD deck and an FM Tuner (although I can probably sack the latter two off).

not quite sure what any of the above means, but would it mean that you can get dab that you wouldnt normally get as you wouldnt be in range sort of thing?

I.E. If I lived in Suffolk and wanted london based XFM, one of those would sort me out?

not quite sure what any of the above means, but would it mean that you can get dab that you wouldnt normally get as you wouldnt be in range sort of thing?

I.E. If I lived in Suffolk and wanted london based XFM, one of those would sort me out?

Yes, yes it would, but as a MP3 or AAC stream. That's how I listen to 6Music. The DAB reception in my area is only average anyway, and breaks up quite a lot - the exact opposite to what DAB was supposed to do.

I live in Cheshire and Zack FM goes broadcasts around RAF Mildenhall - miles away, but their webstream is quite audible, even in the North West. You can get XFM London on it easily. and I can also control it with my Galaxy Tab 2 as well as my phone. It's mega space age for me.

I have quite a few American stations on the presets too - NPR, KVCU 1190 and Z Rock Lexington. I listen to quite a lot of Radio York as well and obviously it doesn't transmit as far as Altrincham. BBC Around Orkney is also quite good, if a bit local. There's a mad Barbados station that plays jungle pretty much 24-7 too - must get that on the dial as well :D

There's 20 presets you can store and fiddle with. Really impressed with BFBS's output as well. Mine came with BFBS Afghanistan set as number 1.

One oh five three Zack fm.

We play everything.

Well, most things, well 80s american rock radio hits mostly.

I still like it but they don't play anything like as random selection as they did to start with.

They are only 10 miles down the road. If I had any spare time at all then I would be knocking at their door, I haven't done radio for ages.

Yesterday, I did absolutely sweet F-A. So today I decided to get up off my lazy arse and tidy up the garden. I never usually do the garden at this time of the year, but as some of the plants were pretty dead and laying into the pathway I thought it was high time they were cleared. For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to trim the whole hedge and de-weed the path, then start doing a few bits in the back garden until it got so dark I couldn't see what I was doing. Pretty happy that its tidy and I seem to have filled 4 big bags of garden waste which I didn't expect.

New wheels have finally been paid for so will pick them up soon. I might fit them to the current Sterling for a short while just to see, but they will be wrapped up and stored away until I get the mk2 on the road.

Oh yeh, and browsing on the R800 forum, I noticed that for the first time since I started owning Rover 800s, I've actually been spotted by another member whilst out and about. Not had my car snapped yet whilst out the wild though.

Funky as fuck! I always fancied a DCC deck (I love the idea that some of them are retro compatible and can play analogue tapes) but can't justify it. I may well "accidentally" snipe one on eBay at some point though.

My most recent hi-fi acquisitions for my mongrel of a system are my Arcam Alfa FM tuner (£5) and my NAD 6100 tape deck (with remote! £21). DAB is looked after via an Argos Acoustic Solutions tuner, but the actual sound conversion bit is done off-board by the Beresford. It does extremely well considering I'm only using a bit of wire as an antenna. My next task is to find the bloody power supply for my phono stage.

One oh five there Zack fm.

We play everything.

Well, most things, well 80s american rock radio hits mostly.

I still like it but they don't play anything like as random selection as they did to start with.

They are only 10 miles down the road. If I had any spare time at all then I would be knocking at their door, I haven't done radio for ages.

They're running a training course in late January. I'm tempted to find a youth hostel or something and bugger off there for 4 days and drive the staff mad with my shambolic radio tendencies. The Yankee stations don't like saying "point" in their frequency idents, do they? Weird.

20130113_203204.jpg

Oh, and michael1703, this NP30 of mine can pick up XFM London, no problem at all. :D

Funky as fuck! I always fancied a DCC deck (I love the idea that some of them are retro compatible and can play analogue tapes) but can't justify it. I may well "accidentally" snipe one on eBay at some point though.

All DCC separates can play standard cassettes - Philips developed the hardware, and they developed the microcassette in the first place. Marantz being the upscale Japanese wing of Philips BV followed suit. I had a DCC 730 which blew up, followed by a DCC900, and this is my second DD82. The first one destroyed its power supply and I couldn't get a spare.

Apparently the amp side of a DD82 is pretty good anyway, so it's no hardship to run the NP30 through it.