By Joey spud
With the YRV more or less finished i think its about time i got my arse in gear and sort out my Subaru.
I have owned this since 2012 when it was a beige truck with grot in all the usual places.
I spent an age welding it up and swapping panels over from my other totally rotted out one before prepping the body to the best of my ability.
Before paying to get it painted in vw corrida red 2pack.
Once put back together it did look quite tidy.
Fast forward to 2019,the mot has long since expired,the expensive paint job has faded and rust has burst through the rear arches and sills.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, The Burd and I went to see the Skizzer to start getting a MK1 Golf Convertible that had been off the road for 10years..
After a couple of sessions in deepest darkest Wales , coupled with some sterling help and fettling by Skizzer himself, it was time for us to head down and bring the thing back up.
This went well:
New tyres were procured and fitted
The in-game tank pump was pulled out and a new filter fitted
Then I got in touch with my Inuit side, using brand new* magnets to undertake "tank shite" fishing
A full check over and a couple of test drives showed it fit to play.
We set off for sunny Oswestry, only to have both front calipers sticking after 120 miles. Some water and time to collect down saw them free off and cause no further problems.
Upon getting just past Tebay, it started running rough - nicking into Todhills rest area and luzzing in 10L of fuel had it running bang on for the next 70miles before it died.
This was the final scene on the way home.
I got to bed at 00:45, and left it to sit until today.
Having fetched this French delight from deepest, darkest Norfolk (well Norwich actually) in an underwhelming collection, for no other reason than the van was scooped up onto a trailer for its journey home, it was time to see what was needed.
I knew a RH side load door was needed, luckily an item was procured for £20 from a guy breaking a Scudo. I drove across to Swadlincote in the van and it proved to drive well, as expected from wuvvum’s write up. On the way home it started surging when the fuel level dropped below quarter on the gauge, again as expected.
Door was fitted and adjusted on return, it was even the same colour!
During the week I looked at the rear doors and fettled and adjusted the locks / latches.
Today I dropped the fuel tank and found a loose baffle, along with crud in the fuel pick up / tank unit. A road test will be the proof of this repair.
I also achieved a working temperature gauge today and changed the power steering fluid out.
The to do list includes a coolant flush, new tyres (cracked side walls), new discs and pads, LH door slider and lock handle, a deep interior clean and removal of the ladder rack. In the meantime have some photos.