London to Brighton 2015

andrew e

Well finished my shift this morning, thought 'sod it why not' so went to the station and jumped on the first tube and headed to Westminster to watch the old Crocks and accidentally bump into Angry Sheep (Sorry chap if I seemed like a zombie!) so a few snaps below - it really is a lovely atmosphere, and proper spooky with the pea-souper drifting through Lahnden.

image.jpg3.jpg

image.jpg1.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg4.jpg

image.jpg5_1.jpg

How about a bonus Victor 101 with jacked up suspension then?

image.jpg5.jpg

Great pics, don't want to own one but like looking at them, especially the 'brass' cars of the Victorian/Edwardian era. Huge respect to the talent of those who keep them on the road and have the balls to do this run especially dodging the clueless idiots on the 23 on the run down into Brighton. 

Wonder how many of the Shit-city sheep were bitching & whinging about this event inconveniencing their vital, important day?

Had planned to see some of this yesterday  over at Cassocks on the A23 - great hillage there for maximum puff effort entertainment.   You have taken some wonderfully atmospheric photos there, the period dress of the entrants helps too and the fog just obliterates some of the modern-ness, well apart from the blood red rozzer van.   I should point out that's an FC VX4/90 although that doesn't excuse the undercarriage arrangements.....

Excellent. I was due to meet up with a friend outside the palace at 07:30 but then I only got home from night-time automotive shenanigans at 04:30 so didn't wake up when my alarm went at 06:15 and only made it there to see the last few trundle by in the distance at about quarter past eight.  I thought the fog would make for some great photos. :)  Love the steam car making its own micro-climate.

Car was a 1904 Oldsmobile Curved Dash - very basic 1-cylinder 2 seater, 2 speed box, 7hp. Owned by a Romanian friend of mine, it was the first car from Romania to participate in the race. We took it to the Regent St motor Show on Sat (cue very enjoyable chugging round central London terrifying selfie-stick-wielding tourists) and then - flanked by not one but two support minibuses - spluttered off on the Sunday morning. The copilot for the race itself was one of the cofounders of the Romanian historic car organisation, Retromobil; they cover everything from exotica to chod, as long as it's pre-1985. 7 or so hours later, a petrol scare, and a wheel which lost several of the nuts en route, the Oldsmobile arrived in Brighton where we took it in turns to amble around, feeling like Toad of Toad Hall. Cons were the freezing weather, early start and slight lack of organisation in Brighton itself (participants were stuck in pretty significant traffic jams once they'd arrived - not good for 110+ year old cars). Pros were the people - genuinely friendly, very eccentric; the variety of participating vehicles (some very tatty barnfinds, some magnificently polished & very grand luxury machines, one or two looking like soapbox racers); and the supporters which turned up along the route, many in very impressive vehicles themselves. 

I went to Ardingly autojumble yesterday so by happy coincidence managed to see some of the old heaps, either the broken down ones or a few heading home later on.  I got stuck in traffic not far from the A23/M25 bit thinking it was the poxy Starbucks there causing a hold up, but no it was broken down vintage chod so that made it acceptable!

A broken down Renner? Now that's something you don't see every day*.

I'm trying my best to interpret the RAC fella's expression. The best I can do for now is, 'Oh shit...'

Edit: I assumed the recovery bloke was the one in the orange hi-viz. I'm now wondering if in actual fact, he's the one balls deep, next to him.

I'm trying my best to interpret the RAC fella's expression. The best I can do for now is, 'Oh shit...'

Edit: I assumed the recovery bloke was the one in the orange hi-viz. I'm now wondering if in actual fact, he's the one balls deep, next to him.

Two RAC blokes in the pic. If I remember correctly, the breakdown was a split coolant tank that was soon bodged and the car was off under its own steam.