A1: Britain's Longest Road

UmBongo

Has anyone been watching this on the BBC?

Travel chaos!

Reindeer being transported to Christmas events!

Breakdowns!

Grumpy truckers!

This programme has it all.

One of the Highways officers had a motorbike with a foldout towing mechanism for moving cars off the road. I'd never seen that before. Quite interesting.

I think the Triggerator popped up a post about this, I've been watching it for a couple of weeks but they're mostly available on iPlayer for a bit.

It does make me chuckle the simulated drama, they obviously have a take where a HATO says "yeah, we just found a plank of wood in lane 1" and have to retake it with some input from the producer.

"We've just been called out, there's some LETHAL debris in a LIVE RUNNING LANE so we're going to put a stop in and retrieve it before SOMEONE IS KILLED".

I think the Triggerator popped up a post about this, I've been watching it for a couple of weeks but they're mostly available on iPlayer for a bit.

It does make me chuckle the simulated drama, they obviously have a take where a HATO says "yeah, we just found a plank of wood in lane 1" and have to retake it with some input from the producer.

"We've just been called out, there's some LETHAL debris in a LIVE RUNNING LANE so we're going to put a stop in and retrieve it before SOMEONE IS KILLED".

LOL.....

Although saying that, a plank of wood in any lane could be fairly nasty....

I once hit a part pallet on the M5 that fell off a truck directly in front of me. I didn't die thankfully, but it burst two tyres and damaged the sump. Luckily* it was a company vehicle.

As you were though.

I've been enjoying this program, I'm quite surprised it's on during the day really as It's better than most of the shit that's on in the evenings. That roof which blew of the luton van into the front of that new Transit minibus full of school kids was pretty alarming, the driver done well to keep it.

LOL.....

Although saying that, a plank of wood in any lane could be fairly nasty....

I once hit a part pallet on the M5 that fell off a truck directly in front of me. I didn't die thankfully, but it burst two tyres and damaged the sump. Luckily* it was a company vehicle.

As you were though.

Friend of mine Diesel Dave, was a UPS 7.5 tonner driver who was always stricken by bad luck. 

On the M1, middle lane, he was in collision with a wheelbarrow!

In my previous job I used to travel the country installing temporary networks for events.

On the way to one job we were thundering along the M4 in lane 2 in the van; I looking idly out the window, the driver opening a sandwich at 70mph.

Upon hearing "FUCK ME" and becoming rapidly aware of a BLT disintegrating against the dashboard I looked up to see an upended wheelbarrow sat in our path. We served into lane 1, overcorrected back into lane 2, then back into lane 1. Fair play he didn't hit the barrow, and claims he knew there was room in lane 1 for his emergency avoidance, but we had to stop at the next services so he could change his strides.

On another occasion we were returning to base, and were on the local roads. On exiting a roundabout I noticed we were getting closer and closer to the curb, which we then hit. I turned and looked at the (same bloke) driver, who was bent down pulling his socks up.

I didn't let him drive after that.

My Highway Officer pals say that it doesn't count unless it happened on the A1: Britain's Longest Road.

Friend of mine Diesel Dave, was a UPS 7.5 tonner driver who was always stricken by bad luck.

On the M1, middle lane, he was in collision with a wheelbarrow!

Narrowly missed a wheelbarrow on the old A77. Ran over the brushes and spades that were 100yds further up!

I've never managed to do the entire A1 at one trip yet. I've done all the bits, but not together. Strange ambition...

• 11 months later...

I could use the a1 from Scotland to my dad's after shitefest if I go to his on the way home! Would take me to Peterborough. Then I've done Peterborough to the M25 lots, but never further to the end, so I could say I've done 98%. No desire to do the M25 to wherever in London it ends...

I have done the m4 all the way in stages though. Went to the end a few weeks ago in Wales just because it was only 9 miles further than I needed to go so thought fuck it and carried on, then came back!