Old Police Cars

eddyramrod

I'm going to "come out" and admit: I love them. As mentioned in other threads, I've had two:

Posted Image

My 1972 Ford Cortina 2000GT, ex-Lancashire; and

Posted Image

My 1983 Plymouth Gran Fury, ex-LAPD.

I was never able to confirm either of these officially, but since they've both gone now it doesn't matter. I believe they were what I'm saying they were, and that's good enough. OK, I know Mr Hirst has quite a liking for these things... anyone else?

Sweet! Thanks Norm. I love the black-and-white look, it's a total classic. Seen those Chargers in Florida, which of course uses a variation based on a black car. I think the Charger and the Crown Vic really suit black, they make a really menacing copcar. You just KNOW you're going down!

Here's a Crown Vic on patrol in San Francisco in March:

Posted Image

...And two from the Sheriff's Museum in San Diego:

Posted Image

Posted Image

...In fact make that three, I'd forgotten you could see the Mustang in the background. The green Caprice is the livery Corgi used for their 1957 Chevy San Diego Sheriff car, and would be about the last incarnation of it before they went to the black seen on the other cars. Unfortunately I wasn't there on a day when the museum was open.

I think there's no police livery as cool as the old white on blue NYPD setup.

Posted Image

Here's a nice Diplomat to go with Eddyramrod's old Gran Fury.

Posted Image

Ahh...the good old days.When a young lad would do as the nice policeman said instead of telling him to f**k off. When rogueish robbers wore black and white stripey tops and carried SWAG bags and say "It's a fair cop!" when caught instead of shooting them in the head.

Infact, I would say that this Imp panda car is hurrying on it's way right now to rescue old Mrs Meakins old ginger tom from getting stuck up a tree again.

I find that "cartoon" livery on some US cop cars tacky and unnecessary:

Posted Image

:roll:

I want something in a smart (and plain) uniform. :wink:

Wow, Stow on the Wold must have some hardcore apple scrumpery going on to warrant a squad car like that.

(Stow on the Wold being in the Cotswolds, hence humour arises)

"whats the camera for? they are filming what we do for a new series called Road Wars and they are about to see me nick that cyclist for wearing illegal cycle clips, that'll make great tv especially if they throw in some footage from America and get it voiced by a northern bloke"

Posted Image

"I told the producer we cant use this car in Only Fools and Horses as we used it in Minder last week, but would he listen"

Posted Image

"i've driven round for two hours, ive sent for the Triumph 2000 and they cant help so we've called the Granada out now but I tell you theres no place called Trans World Airline round here, someone should invent a satellite navigation system they could call it sat nav"

Posted Image

"I've checked and its due to a strike at the factory that the doors are still in primer"

Posted Image

"your not Roger Clark and this is not a Welsh forest"

Posted Image

"i've spilt coffee on my left leg"

Posted Image

"now i've spilt it on my right leg"

Posted Image

This blagger cant wait to get his cuban heels into Fords new saloon and he's jumping for joy as its a base model which he knows will soon be replaced by the Popular and Popular Plus, he got 30 years but never forgot that MKII that arrested him and as soon as he was released from prison he went straight to a internet cafe to do a DVLA check and was gutted to find out its date of liability was 1989.

Posted Image

This blagger cant wait to get his cuban heels into Fords new saloon and he's jumping for joy as its a base model which he knows will soon be replaced by the Popular and Popular Plus, he got 30 years but never forgot that MKII that arrested him and as soon as he was released from prison he went straight to a internet cafe to do a DVLA check and was gutted to find out its date of liability was 1989.

Maybe it's just because i've been awake for SO LONG, but that made me do an actual no-foolin' laugh out loud. thanks!

I think my A55 Cambridge might be an ex-Southend plod car...I've tried contacting the Essex Police Museum for conformation of this but there are no surviving pictures of the A55's showing the registration numbers. I know the original registration of mine was PJN 656, there is a Morris Oxford PJN 317 on record (in the front row of the picture below) and other "PJN's" in the force.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It seems the only hope now is finding someone who remembers the Southend cars in the late '50's. There is a record of the pre-war cars and registrations, but not post-war as far as I know.