The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Wack said:

That'll be because they don't understand their mobile phone tracks their every move and is spying on them

The best one I saw was the mercedes car that convicted a murderer , not just GPS tracking , it saved all the door opening and closing , timed him burying the body , it was open 5 minutes so he could get the body and tools out, gone for an hour to bury her then open 30 seconds to put the tools back in , it's not just your phone that's watching you

Wasn’t that a discovery ?

The Mrs lost her card. So  without asking she borrowed mine, to buy ladies products.

No massive problem, except for some reason she didn't use it contactlessly and instead decided to use her pin number.

So my debit card is now blocked.

And hers was in her handbag.

Dick head.

19 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

The Mrs lost her card. So  without asking she borrowed mine, to buy ladies products.

No massive problem, except for some reason she didn't use it contactlessly and instead decided to use her pin number.

So my debit card is now blocked.

And hers was in her handbag.

Dick head.

I'll confess that made me laugh. I'm not even sorry. That "dick head" comment made it. 🤣

8 hours ago, adw1977 said:

I've always thought that building site equipment ought to be relatively easy to make electric. 

Things like those mini digger / dumper things that get transported to and from the site on the back of a truck.  Couldn't they be charged overnight before being loaded onto the truck?  They're not going far and stand idle for more hours than they're in use.

I am not talking about small housing renovations, I am thinking more about excavating the roads, new pipes?cables or complete housing estates. Charging up vehicles or any plant on a building site will take a lot of power overnight. On road works they are almost impossible unless road side charging points are installed. At the moment talk about going green is all about cars, then comes public transport. Hardly anything said about lorries and nothing about the rest of the fuel power machinery that is need for us to live our lives.

I wonder how batteries will take to be shaken in a Bomag, a Waker or a vibrating  plate compactor?

10 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Lorries are the biggest problem probably as although they could carry a lot of batteries, it obviously detracts from the payload. Buses  often are fairly near to base and can carry more batteries easier.

Ditto tractors , close to base , already heavy. , more batteries relatively  easily to design in without loss of performance.

Chainsaws etc? Have you seen what you can get in power tools these days? I recently did a job with a friend cutting a hedge. I had a petrol power trimmer , he had a 56V battery powered one. It was like a Ford Fiesta v a Tesla.

Electric chainsaws can not last all day without using many, many batteries.  Have you seen the price of one and all the additional batteries you need?

Batteies slung low in a tractor? Never seen that.

Fully electric buses can not run all day without a charge. They cannot run long distance buses service either.

As much as I like Electric it's not suitable for everything. 

Tractors often do high torque high load work all bloody day. Used to work on a Fiat Agri 130-90 Turbo, great tractor, doing work with a contractor. But pulling a 3m wide rotovator, plough etc, it's often working at max power pulling the rotovator through the soil and whatever the PTO is taking. 

Batteries wouldnt last pissing time in a big field doing hard work. 

5 hours ago, Crackers said:

Bugger. 

IMG_20220104_134624.thumb.jpg.54b4d50031f40dcf3deaa9f051e0cb2a.jpg

That's the brake diagonally opposite the one that was sticking the other day. This was after a 2 mile drive and the light surface rust from a few days' rain. So that brake is doing sweet FA. Ballcocks. 

Tried smacking the caliper with a long bar and big hammer? 

When I had the burning smoke from a seized caliper on an old car I pulled over, brayed it to fuck for a minute then heard a crunchy pop and all was well*! (I got to work and back with no more sticking then re-looked at it. That was when I took a car with perfectly working brakes and thought "ah, I've got a spare afternoon, let's clean and check all the calipers..." 2 of the ungrateful bastards stuck on after that. Never again. 

4 hours ago, Remspoor said:

I wonder how batteries will take to be shaken in a Bomag, a Waker or a vibrating  plate compactor?

I'd imagine they'd have a remote battery pack and a line in to the machine, much like the air-driven vibratey machines do now.

(Maybe not for the Bomag obvs.)

well that was the first shit day for a while...

1)- Woke up stupidly early so despite it being 7.25pm here in NZ, I cannot wait to go to bed.  Normally I would but its Mrs P's birthday so I cant bugger off today.

2)- Hospital appointment which should have been an hour took four.  I should have been told that, but wasnt.  Plus I left my laptop at the hospital and had to go back for it.  Couldnt park anywhere nearby so had a bit of a hike in 30degree heat.  Unpleasant.  Work not too chuffed about it either.

3)- Laptop inexplicably did a BIOS update just before 5 and now I cant access anythng as I need to enter a Bitlocker code.  I have no idea what that is.  I dont have a code and the admin team dont have one either.  Apparently it might be in my Microsoft account but I cant access that as my password isnt recognised.  I recall changing it last month but cant remember what I changed it to.  Called Admin back at 5.10pm to find our guy had gone on holiday for two weeks (itis our summer) and nobody else was able to help today.

4)- Went to get Thai.  Marched into the restaurant to collect only to find it wasnt ready.  And they had no details of any order from me.  After scurrying around for 20 minutes it became apparent it wasnt ready or indeed on their list so they apologised and promised to make it quick.  It was at this point I gave the order in a slightly miffed tone and discovered I had gone into the wrong restaurant.  It looked totally different to the last time I went, I assumed they'd done a makeover.  Looked a proper twat and swear I heard the kitchen staff laughing as I left.  

5) - Collected Thai, now cold as it had been sitting there 25 minutes waiting for me

And yet I am quite philosophical about it hoping I am doing my stupid unlucky shit in one go so 2022 goes a little more smoothly

1 hour ago, Parky said:

4)- Went to get Thai.  Marched into the restaurant to collect only to find it wasnt ready.  And they had no details of any order from me.  After scurrying around for 20 minutes it became apparent it wasnt ready or indeed on their list so they apologised and promised to make it quick.  It was at this point I gave the order in a slightly miffed tone and discovered I had gone into the wrong restaurant.  It looked totally different to the last time I went, I assumed they'd done a makeover.  Looked a proper twat and swear I heard the kitchen staff laughing as I left.  

I'm sorry for laughing, but I did laugh. Sorry.

Years ago when I worked at Halfords, an angry man came in with a sat nav, kicking off about how it was "Playing up really bad" and "wasting his time sending him all over the country in wrong directions" but basically he just had no fucking idea how to use it and he was adding new destinations as extra stops on a route rather than clearing the old destination, so it was always trying to eventually send him back to Ingoldmells.

He was having a right old rant and nobody could get a word in edgeways. 

Finally he shoved the satnav across the counter at me, along with his receipt from Comet 😅and asked me "What the fuck are you going to do about it then?"

2 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Minus 15 and this modern cars are fun

20220105_110330.jpg

Now that I have come home and thawed, I get to go more into what has happened. I was on my way home after getting vaccinated and on my way out of the intersection the engine died and will not start. Then just had to start pushing the car down to a parking lot next to the road and to my surprise a pretty woman in an Audi SUV stopped and helped me push the car. So the next challenge was to get a tow truck and the nearest was of course 70 km away. But the car has now been delivered to a mechanic and then i just have to wait for what they have to say.

But can not stop  think that these should be the most reliable and trouble free cars that exist and this has happened. And that this is the 3rd time I have experienced a car that has stopped and has to be towed and all of these 3 have been with relatively new cars while the old cars I have had have never broken down.

6 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It has plenty of electricity the starter spins but the engine just won't start.

Curiously, several years ago some people over the road had the exact same issue with their i10 of a similar vintage and asked me to help as they'd seen me out fixing my cars.

I fiddled with things for a good hour and got absolutely nowhere - it'd spin over fine, but absolutely refused to fire. No error codes. They ended up getting it towed away and I don't think I saw it again. I;d be interested to find out what the issue was with yours, as I never found out what was wrong with their one.