The grumpy thread

outlaw118

16 minutes ago, MikeR said:

the cafe next to the rooms used by contractors at my works was like that , the cafe had a captive market on its door step , would not even stay open or open up a bit early to cater for the contractors , so they fucked off and stayed else where .

You should try the seaside towns around here. Multitudinous cafes along the seafront, they nearly all shut at five.

Haven't been for a few years, but Barry Island was terrible, all but one of the cafes closed for the winter and didn't open again until Easter, didn't matter what the weather was like would never open any earlier. I used to deal with some of the traders, whenever you spoke to them it was always the worst year they'd ever had. (Hard to take that seriously when the person telling you is sat in their new 7 series BMW). 

I went down a few years ago on New Year's day to take the dogs on the beach, a lovely bright, crisp day. The place was packed, but just the one cafe open (and that one was a lovely 1960s period piece inside).

19 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

You should try the seaside towns around here. Multitudinous cafes along the seafront, they nearly all shut at five.

Haven't been for a few years, but Barry Island was terrible, all but one of the cafes closed for the winter and didn't open again until Easter, didn't matter what the weather was like would never open any earlier. I used to deal with some of the traders, whenever you spoke to them it was always the worst year they'd ever had. (Hard to take that seriously when the person telling you is sat in their new 7 series BMW). 

I went down a few years ago on New Year's day to take the dogs on the beach, a lovely bright, crisp day. The place was packed, but just the one cafe open (and that one was a lovely 1960s period piece inside).

Round here a lot close for the winter and go to their villas in Spain.

18 minutes ago, Wack said:

People really are selfish cunts , not one stopped to help him apart from the truck driver 

https://fb.watch/7v5QhgGi46/

yep , got the T shirt  , its F'IN dangerous to try and help or even help yourself  . my advice would be to put the hazards on , and walk to safety , sit back and watch the resulting jam , thinking you twats would not be in that if you had a bit more sense ....

34 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Southport to a T , nowt opens till 11am , then shuts bang on 5 or earlier , if it stays open its a pub or club !

22 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Asking the same "why should I pay to cancel when the insurer doesn't want it?" got me nowhere.

It should have got you everywhere.  If you choose to cancel a policy, you end up with early termination costs.  If your insurer cancels a policy because they cannot insure the replacement car, then THEY have cancelled it, and you should get your money back on an on-risk time basis (IE no early termination costs)

50 minutes ago, Talbot said:

It should have got you everywhere.  If you choose to cancel a policy, you end up with early termination costs.  If your insurer cancels a policy because they cannot insure the replacement car, then THEY have cancelled it, and you should get your money back on an on-risk time basis (IE no early termination costs)

I gave up long ago trying to work out insurers. I just try to stick to not dealing with shites like this who will screw you for what little cash you've got while simultaneously throwing money at everyone to say how great they are.

It's £124 now, knowing full well I can go my whole life without giving them a penny more for the rest of my life.

Changing the lower suspension arms on the 205, driver's side first, was a proper fight to get it off despite not being on that long really. New one on, it won't sit straight in the subframe so the bolt won't go through, I've tried hitting it with a (soft) hammer and levering it about and it still won't sit straight. Bloody cars.

Edit: as so often is the case complaining about it meant the next go at it it went in just fine. I suppose by thinking about it to explain the problem it can give you a new angle on it.

Lockdown here has brought a surprising number of arseholes out of the woodwork.  It’s incredible how one case has been tracked to identify about 21 cases in the community and absolutely the right thing to lock down for a few days to nip this in the bud.  But fuck me, you’d think people had been asked to sacrifice their first born to some bloody Pagan God.  

At the Covid centre I diplomatically removed a chap who was spouting anti vax crap which culminated in him revealing he had read the works of some Nobel prize winning French dude (he couldn’t remember the name, or couldn’t pronounce it anyway) who claimed that the vaccine will kill (in his expert opinion) at least two thirds of recipients within two years of administration.  

When I played the game and said “If Government and Big Pharma want us all dead, who is going to pay the taxes and generate the sales for big Pharma operations?  Isn’t killing all your clients bad for business?” He just responded with “you would say that, you’re a paid up shill and you might as well be hung for treason and murder and believe me we’ll be back for you”  Wouldn’t mind so much but I am a minimum wage temp and I leave next week anyway.  

Another woman moaned about being told what to do by Government.  I asked her what she thought of seat belts, her response being “no, you aren’t catching me out with your logic”.  

Honestly I don’t think the world will end through a pandemic or a war.  I honestly believe the ignorance and stupidity of the few is going to condemn all of us to a horrifying and utterly preventable end.

What does distress me is I used to be quite right wing, gradually became more lefty and lately I am finding myself wanting to put these people in a a small room with 400 hungry weasels which I am pretty sure is more likely to be a Priti Patel thing rather than a Green Party policy....

On 8/17/2021 at 6:45 PM, Fumbler said:

I suppose it's a really shit bespoke E-mail then. Annoying.

Had another separate one today from the actual centre I was originally booked with also informing me that my original appointment had been cancelled, with all the relevant details present and correct - so definitely looked to be legit.  Just shoddy work.

I know it's a small detail, but having poorly formatted, typo ridden or generally poorly written forms and emails really just don't inspire confidence in "the system" does it?  If I'd sent that out (or put together the script that generated it) back when I worked in local government I'd have been outright eviscerated by our corporate Comms team!

On 8/19/2021 at 8:40 AM, sierraman said:

Just run in for a German car that is. Run forever those BMWs 🤣

It's funny, if it was a Mk4 mondeo it could literally be suffering with galloping rot, Rod knock and every Bush known to man knocking its tits off but you'd be like, well its just the way they are it'll be OK with an EGR clean. 👌

(disclaimer, I really like your posts and find them quite funny it's just the German car bashing that gets on my tits a bit😁

But everyone knows mondeos are shit , you dont get everyone wobbling on about how good they are like bloody german cars.

German stuff is no better or worse than a ford/ vauxhall or renault now . But still over hyped and over priced.

Only one country to head for if you want a reliable car and it sure as hell aint Germany.

28 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

But everyone knows mondeos are shit , you dont get everyone wobbling on about how good they are like bloody german cars.

German stuff is no better or worse than a ford/ vauxhall or renault now . But still over hyped and over priced.

Only one country to head for if you want a reliable car and it sure as hell aint Germany.

LOL no Suprise you'd be the first to jump to his defence.

You'd think we were living in 1996 where everyone thinks there the dogs bollocks cos they drive a 318i with pov spec. No one thinks they are so good, find me a post on here where anyone recently has said German cars are superior. They aren't 

A Mk4 mondeo is an old banger much as is a e60 bmw where the price differential is no longer a big gap. You don't pay a premium for a German car anymore per se. 

Look at a mondeo vignale compared to a 320i, its probably more expensive 

Apparently the regulator attached to the compressed air tank heard me mentioning that it was a piece of rubbish and I was planning on replacing it with a better quality one in a more accessible location (i.e. not needing to get the ladder out to get to it).

Heard something bounce off the ceiling then roll off the roof of the car.  I was nowhere near it and there wasn't even any air in the system.

IMG_20210820_165526.thumb.jpg.7de39d773fc8b65c8464e78ba3d8833c.jpg

Threads have completely stripped out of the body and the spring tension popped the adjuster knob off, which is what I heard bounce off the ceiling.

Well I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend then, will be getting a replacement in and set up. 

18 hours ago, mintwth said:

Could go for a reverse approach....

The shower won't be on the same circuit breaker as the lights. Flip/pull breakers till you find which are the lighting rings.

Leave the lighting rings on and everything else off, then the shower *should* be safe to work on.   

Which reminds me of when my friends moved about 20 years ago. I gave them the video of "The Moneypit" amongst many other bodges (The house looked immaculate but the old lady who had lived there previously had been ripped off several times) the shower was leaking when switched off. My mate is quite practical so thought he'd replace it. Turned off the circuit breaker marked shower, but had the sense to check and found it was still live, but the cooker had gone off. Turned off the one marked cooker,  the shower was still live, but a double socket in the kitchen had gone off. Eventually found it was wired into the downstairs ring main.

They put a new circuit breaker and circuit in. The house has since been completely rewired. The previous owner had paid for a rewire, but someone had cheated and just replaced bits of cable and socket fronts, with hidden chocolate block connections to the old cables.

2 hours ago, Jamie said:

LOL no Suprise you'd be the first to jump to his defence.

You'd think we were living in 1996 where everyone thinks there the dogs bollocks cos they drive a 318i with pov spec. No one thinks they are so good, find me a post on here where anyone recently has said German cars are superior. They aren't 

A Mk4 mondeo is an old banger much as is a e60 bmw where the price differential is no longer a big gap. You don't pay a premium for a German car anymore per se. 

Look at a mondeo vignale compared to a 320i, its probably more expensive 

Christ it was an attempt at humour you don’t need to run off to the dinner ladies! 

18 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Christ it was an attempt at humour you don’t need to run off to the dinner ladies! 

Ah, a bit like my response to you then yeah? 🧐

I addressed all the points made which make a mockery of the beef people seem to have with German cars, and you make a mockery of it. Standard 😁

5 minutes ago, mintwth said:

*Teacher mode activated*

Gentlemen, it's your own time you're wasting with these petty squabbles. 

*Teacher mode de-activated*

Fight! Fight! Fight! 

It's OK I'll let them both toss each other off over their hatred of German brands. It's no skin off my nose 👌

4 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

Obviously not 😂😂😂

I've said my piece, your the one with a chip on your shoulder, ironically the only car I've had an ftp in the 170 odd cars I've owned is a mk4 modeo 😂😂😂

The fact you've not acknowledged any of the valid points I raised speaks volumes 😂😂😂