The grumpy thread

outlaw118

My current seeming inability to sell any chod is making me grumpy.  I have vehicles I don't need and bills I need to pay - it should be a simple enough equation to balance, and I like to flatter myself that I have a reasonable idea of what cars are worth, but it would appear not.

this thing (which i've not seen) has 2 led lights, one for power and one for charge.

when plugged in this new paper weight new charger doesn't light up at all (from what i've been told) and usually these things buzz when they are working. thi new one doesn't make a sound....

but the battery that Kerry has been trying to charge up could indeed be banjaxed....

Smart chargers can't charge a completely flat battery because they need some voltage to tell that they are connected. This sounds dumb until you realize that a lead acid battery with 0v across the terminals is doomed anyway.

MarvinsMom, yer doing it wrong with this ebay/battery charger malarkey.

Either nash on down to Lidl when the weekly offer for battery chargers is on. Last time I saw the plastic brick smart chargers were only about £13-£15. Plus all that stuff can be shoved up their hole for a refund dead easy.

OR

Get something in a tin box. Like an old Davenset or a Selmar. I've got a couple of 6/12V Selmars like this.

$_12.JPG

I've also got this one that used to belong to my granny.

4284979737_0c2daa2e71.jpg

GP4_charger by E Honda, on Flickr

MarvinsMom, yer doing it wrong with this ebay/battery charger malarkey.

Either nash on down to Lidl when the weekly offer for battery chargers is on. Last time I saw the plastic brick smart chargers were only about £13-£15. Plus all that stuff can be shoved up their hole for a refund dead easy.

OR

4284979737_0c2daa2e71.jpg

GP4_charger by E Honda, on Flickr

That's close enough to mine that I've used regularly for over 30 years.

All that is in the case of my Arlec is a centre-tapped transformer, two diodes and the meter.

Its never let me down.

My current seeming inability to sell any chod is making me grumpy. I have vehicles I don't need and bills I need to pay - it should be a simple enough equation to balance, and I like to flatter myself that I have a reasonable idea of what cars are worth, but it would appear not.

You do still know what they're worth, it's just that the number of penniless morons has increased. This is the flip side of low scrap prices I'm afraid, it just makes the 'Xbox/50 tonight' lot multiply.

When you sell stuff because you have (rather than want) to, it's like putting a bloody finger into a piranha tank, I swear adverts must give off a scent that brings all the knobhead hunters out.

I've contacted 8 plasterers to do my kitchen over the last 2 weeks. Not a single one has called me back or turned up to give me a quote.

I WANT TO PAY YOU MONEY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE SERVICES THAT YOU ADVERTISE. WHY ARE YOU MAKING THIS SUCH HARD WORK??

At this rate I'm going to have to skim the whole thing with filler, guide coat and DA sand it flat like you would the side of a car. It worked for the bathroom although we're still finding dust from it a year later.

Fucks sake, woke up this morning and there was no power, walked into front room and squelch squelch, fishtank has cracked and there's 300 litres of water on the floor and about 50 in the tank. Rescued the fish and put them in a plastic tank then got the (thankfully industrial) Karcher wet vac out, 2 hours later the carpet is almost dry and it's 9am so off to buy a new tank and the biggest I can find is half the size and £300, had no choice really but to buy it as I've £300 quids worth of fish sat in a storage box in the garage, hopefully can get them moved into their new tank tonight.

b2af6c4a295a11689fede1d3559238d6.jpg

Fucking thing, that's the suspension refresh for the puma put on hold again

Can't you just hammer a smaller tank over it?

I've contacted 8 plasterers to do my kitchen over the last 2 weeks. Not a single one has called me back or turned up to give me a quote.

I WANT TO PAY YOU MONEY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE SERVICES THAT YOU ADVERTISE. WHY ARE YOU MAKING THIS SUCH HARD WORK??

At this rate I'm going to have to skim the whole thing with filler, guide coat and DA sand it flat like you would the side of a car. It worked for the bathroom although we're still finding dust from it a year later.

We had the same with a gardener. Rung a few and none got back. Eventually found on on Facebook of all places but it still took him two weeks to come cut the grass (it was too big for a flymo) he didn't spray any weeds though.

I know of someone called Samara. I guess that makes her an inadvertent AS hero

Me and WIFE_CMS are trying for kids and the only rule I've stipulated is that we don't name the child after a vehicle. It is surprising how many names that rules out.

As an aside I've had a mate since preschool (waaaaay back in 1989 - I've known him longer than my wife has been alive) called Shane and I know more Alsatians used to guard scrapyards with that name than I do people.

Have you tried the mybuilder type websites? Because it's rated it's slightly easier to weed out the shite hawks.

Saying that we paid 600 quid to have a fence put up with those pre-fab fence panels. It was a few weeks later I realised over half the panels had been fitted upside down.

Saying that, 4 years later and it's still all there.

Have you tried the mybuilder type websites? Because it's rated it's slightly easier to weed out the shite hawks.

Saying that we paid 600 quid to have a fence put up with those pre-fab fence panels. It was a few weeks later I realised over half the panels had been fitted upside down.

Have you sorted the panels?

Me and WIFE_CMS are trying for kids and the only rule I've stipulated is that we don't name the child after a vehicle. It is surprising how many names that rules out.

As an aside I've had a mate since preschool (waaaaay back in 1989 - I've known him longer than my wife has been alive) called Shane and I know more Alsatians used to guard scrapyards with that name than I do people.

Vauxhall is a good name, no issues with that at all  :mrgreen:

Only one girls name - Ailsa. Surprised when we were trying I managed to get that past S.W.M.B.O

See also: classic car restorers. 

Didn't think of that, I've just stuck the job on mybuilder.

I guess I just sit back and wait for hundreds of people to desperately fight over the job?

Yes, it's actually quite good. We got our bathroom done that way. Had 3-4 people give prices then we gave one the job.

The upsold us on a few thing but to be fair they where right enough with what we spent extra on.

I wouldn't trust all these trusted trader type sites to weed out the crap. As about the only thing you have to do to prove you are a trusted trader is pay them a shed load of money to be on their sites. Word of mouth is the best way to find someone but it does seem that there is a lack of tradesmen that actually want to do any work.

Went to my bodyshop for an estimate for getting spoiler and skirts fitted to my A6.

Body man laughed at quality and berated me for buying fibreglass items.

He said he could do the job but it would be a ball ache and could cost me about £500.

Bollocks to that.Ebay beckons for said parts.

Regarding tradesmen there is a reason that the UK has lots of migrant workers - they want to work, unlike much of the indigenous UK population.