The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I know that only too well Bavarian Retro; I drank from below the legal age to get through shit at the time. My old man died through drink 3 months after I turned 18... he started drinking after he'd been made redundant at 50 and after him and my mum split he hit it really hard. I was getting older and he felt he had nothing to keep going for. When my mum told me I went on a bender for three days. I dragged myself together for the funeral. Saw his drinking buddies. Everyone there, even my pals were drinking. I had one beer to toast him and I've not had a drop since. I tell people I'm on call for work normally as I'm a gaffer at a coach company so if theres a breakdown or whatever I need to go to it but even that gets strange looks in a Glasgow boozer.

My mate's mum and dad broke up through drink about five years ago and it went the other way - my mate and his missus get through 12 cans and a bottle of wine between them every night of the week more or less. I didn't want or need that.

Suits those in charge to have a high number of stupified, by drink or drugs, people out there, much easier to brainwash and control when incapable of caring less or rational thought, plus the govt makes a hell of a lot of money from the alcohol industry, and why they're going to legalise cannabis in a few years to tap into that income source too.

Yep the way society views alcohol is funny, I'd never thought along the lines of "if they invented it now" but you're right!

I was a late starter drinkingwise (as in I actually waited until I was 18 and then only had a period of 2 years at uni where I would get drunk). I got pregnant and stopped the odd beer or glass of wine. After having the kids I breastfed for about 4 yrs so had a limit on how much I could drink, but after no2 was born I would often really fancy a beer,then I'd try some and it just wouldn't live up to what I was remembering about beer. I got tipsy quickly and hated it so I thought, actually, I don't like the taste or the way it's making me feel, why bother.

Now I am surprised at how many of the local running races have alcohol as prizes, I baffle people when I say I don't drink. And people (who know i don't) still offer me drinks out of habit.

It's such a big part of our culture even doctors look at me gone out when I say I don't drink!

I don't drink either. Not since about 1986! Since the millennium I have had an occasional drink but I can't actually remember the last time - Christmas two years ago?

My Mum was an alcoholic and by Christ, it doesn't half change your attitudes when you see these things.

Yes, you do get a lot of people who cannot comprehend how you can do without the stuff or you must be a recovering alcoholic. Fuck 'em.

Suits those in charge to have a high number of stupified, by drink or drugs, people out there, much easier to brainwash and control when incapable of caring less or rational thought, plus the govt makes a hell of a lot of money from the alcohol industry, and why they're going to legalise cannabis in a few years to tap into that income source too.

Where have you left your tinfoil hat?

I get tired when I get drunk now. Company funded all you can drink bender - 5 pints and I was asleep on the coach back. 3 cans on friday night on the sofa - asleep by 10.30.

It's annoying as I quite like beer, but lately I've not got excited about it. Maybe when summer is here and I can start at lunchtime and slowly sup throughout the day I'll be better!

Oh aye, it's not for everyone and the less that do drink the quicker we get served, so it's a win win situation.

Have always maintained thought that the minute I want to start fighting people or causing agro when I'm pissed is the same time I'd stop drinking.

Everyone is different, but to me drinking should be something you do to get out of the house and have a bit of a laugh, if you're not enjoying it it's pointless.

I do drink but not a lot anymore. I realised after being proper sick one night and then feeling like death for 3 days after that it just wasn't worth it so have now worked out when to stop.

I've got a mate that can't drink due to some medical thing. He's OK with it but he does seem to nurse the same pint of pop for hours.

In contrast though I've got a "keeping up with the joans'" mate who'll now only drink poncy stuff. Unfortunately he never knows when to stop as he has to "be better" than anyone he's out with, which is stupid.

Feeling rather low so please bear with me while I get this off my chest. My sister (28 and two years younger than me) is talking about buying her own house and setting up home with her boyfriend and it's made me realise just how far behind the majority of people of my age I am. Thanks to a series of mental and physical health issues my confidence and independence are crippingly low and I feel like I've been left behind and lost a decade of my life - at 30 I feel far less mature and worldly-wise than the 18-20 year olds I meet at the university. Most of my school friends are now in stable relationships, some married with kids, but I feel I haven't progressed at all since I left school over a decade ago. I'm 30, still living with my parents, I have few close friends, I've never had even a casual girlfriend (not for want of trying), I can't drive for medical reasons and live in a town with poor public transport, and I don't have the confidence to do things alone but don't have anyone to do them with. I'm quite well off for someone of my age but money can't buy me happiness and quite frankly I'm sick of everything and I feel like no matter what I try my life just isn't going anywhere. Basically I have my work, my model collection, and that's about it.

Sorry for being so depressing but I really needed to let it out and I know the good folks of Autoshite will understand what I'm gooing through.

You've described my world until recently, except I got to 41 before Kinky girl came along. I've still not got the house etc bit, but it's nice to have a real human companion.

Another suggestion: meetup.com Stick in your postcode and see if there's any groups nearby that float your boat. I've been in a few of the mental peeps groups, and generally it's surprising how nice the people are. If there's no group near you it's only £30 ish to create one, with the advantage you can make it anything you would like.

001.jpg

It's fucked.

So. Following this, I gave my car to the P6 Sanatorium near Leek.

The following is the result of their investigations:

001 - adjusted

002 - adjusted

003 - it's unsafe - the car should have failed the MoT

004 - bollox

005 - bollox

006 - bollox

007 - bollox

008 - there is a rust hole in the centre box - the car should have failed the MoT

009 - bollox

010 - bollox

011 - bollox

Apart from this:

The O/S diff oil seal failed and allows oil to contaminate the brake disc - the car should have failed the MoT

Conclusion:

The pointless British MoT is full of shit and allows one to use a car that is not nearways roadworthy.

Instead, they bombard one with trivial advisories that have no substance whatsoever.

The sooner this stupid annual ritual is relegated to where it really belongs, the better.

Think I've got the winner in world biggest ebay mong contest.

Q: Will the nissan micra mk1 pool ball gear knob fit his honda crux, and will I post 3 to Australia for the price of 1?

A: no, and no.

Genius then goes and buys 2 spare pool balls from me. (for playing pool with)

Q: I want them to fit my crux!

A: That's nice. Have you got a drill?

Send me ones with holes in instead to find my crux.

No. I don't know the thread and you don't get drilled ones for 99p.

Send me ones with standard sized holes.

There are no holes in them. There is no standard size.

Any way to find the hole size?

Pay a mechanic to measure it for you.

I'll leave it m8. Refund me.

TOP TIP MATE! thanks for this, I've finally had some joy.

Two blokes came round today to quote for the job. Both seemed eager for the work and I was happy enough that both of them were on the same page as me with regards to how decent I actually want it to look etc etc.

One quoted £450, the other £380. Both are happy to do the job next weekend.

The one that quoted £380 gave me a better vibe cos he seemed to spot all the major issues straight away like one wall being absolutely pissed para that I need to fit the units on so he'd board that one to get it straight and just skim the rest, whereas the other bloke didn't even notice it until I pointed it out.

Make sure you get a written quote.

Think I've got the winner in world biggest ebay mong contest.

Q: Will the nissan micra mk1 pool ball gear knob fit his honda crux, and will I post 3 to Australia for the price of 1?

A: no, and no.

Genius then goes and buys 2 spare pool balls from me. (for playing pool with)

Q: I want them to fit my crux!

A: That's nice. Have you got a drill?

Send me ones with holes in instead to find my crux.

No. I don't know the thread and you don't get drilled ones for 99p.

Send me ones with standard sized holes.

There are no holes in them. There is no standard size.

Any way to find the hole size?

Pay a mechanic to measure it for you.

I'll leave it m8. Refund me.

Dont know how you can sell stuff on there, i can no longer deal with this type of person. I have hung my etree hat and now just bucket stuff i don't want or charity shop it.

Dont know how you can sell stuff on there, i can no longer deal with this type of person. I have hung my etree hat and now just bucket stuff i don't want or charity shop it.

I had a similar one the other day, but the answer was yes it will fit. Twat asked 5 different ways will it fit? And I keep saying yes it will fit. He then says Cheers m8, and doesn't buy one.

Okay, I'm ready for the flaming....

Just had loads of paintwork done on the dollop. Colour match is perfect and most of the work looks great and overall, the car looks fantastic.

It wasn't cheap....

Anyway, last week, while washing and polishing her, spotted a couple or three problems that I hadn't seen before (due to inability to bend etc), nothing too serious and not a problem. But it's becoming one. Of course.

Went back and saw the painter who said it would take 30 minutes to do, but he didn't want to do it there and then, next week.... But now he won't answer my phone calls. I knew he was going to piss me around. There was no apology, no effort to get it resolved, I was (am) just a pain in the arse customer that is being 'fussy'.

I was not aggressive or demanding in any way, didn't expect him to drop everything, but really did expect some eagerness to correct what are his mistakes. No.

One of the problems I have already fixed myself (the worst one!) and I have been round the car and corrected all the blemishes/overspray on badges etc myself, but these last two (runs!) are beyond me at the moment. Not BIG runs, but runs all the same. If I had power in the garage I would do it and 'may' bring all the stuff home and do it, but why should I? If I did it myself it would put me out of action physically for a couple or three days.

It is impossible to find anyone to do decent work that they take a pride in. No matter how much you pay (so it seems) unless you go to the very top end where the paint I have just had done would have cost me twenty grand! Yes, I did ask.....

Coupled to this his attitude to breaking the speedo (none concern) and all the wheelspin he displayed getting it outside and parked.

So, do I pursue this guy and get him to do it properly (just sanding and polishing) or find someone else to do it/do it myself?

I don't drink, mainly for reasons like Louise in that after our first came along I stayed home a lot to help and didn't go out. I used to drink a fair bit, being a city boy in the 90's meant "yay, it's the second Tuesday in March, let's get pissed!". And we did....

When I went out for a few beers months (maybe over a year) after Parkette arrived I sank one pint and moved to number two. I literally couldn't drink more than a third of it, it was as if I was completely full. I then got terrible indigestion off it and could barely sleep.

This went on for weeks until I said sod it, I'm done with it. Not a medical or religious reason, just can't stomach alcohol any more