Trolley jack recommendations

Lankytim

Heh, I have one of those Lidl jacks (except I bought mine from Aldi). Had it 12 years and it's still going strong.

Mine lives in the back of the MGB as a emergency jack if I get a puncture. It's still a useful little jack for use in addition to the bigger one I have. When I pulled the engine on the 1100, it was useful thing to have as additional support.

Biggest complaint with it its range. It is not very low profile and also doesn't go high enough to get my jack stands under at a decent working height.

I've got a big red 3t jack that I bought from Costco a few years ago for about £80, one of the best tools I've got. Just take care when dragging it about by the handle, that said handle is secured properly so you don't accidentally knock all your own teeth out with it. Also, lifting it into the boot of the car is a guaranteed slipped disc and/or hernia.

I've got a big red 3t jack that I bought from Costco a few years ago for about £80, one of the best tools I've got. Just take care when dragging it about by the handle, that said handle is secured properly so you don't accidentally knock all your own teeth out with it. Also, lifting it into the boot of the car is a guaranteed slipped disc and/or hernia.

Yeah that's the one I have, beast of a jack but heavy as you say. Come to think of it maybe that's why I had double hernia surgery last year ....

Got several: 

Machine Mart - 2T quick lift, a fair enough thing but can't get on with the QL facility, also was too tall for getting under my Alfa 156 & Eunos I owned at the time. It replaced a Halfords 2T item I'd had for over 15 years, that did really well considering the amount it was used/abused. 

So bought (MM again) one of those very low 'Racing' anodised ali jacks, only 1.25T but nice and low and worked for the above cars, pricey tho' but got it on a VAT-Free day so OK. (was described as 'A bit gay-looking' by a mate and he's right, it is!!!!).

For general use, and 'cos I was pissed off with the first on the list, got a 2.25T Clarke one (MM) which is very good, low too, works on the MX5, has been given top marks in several tests. Nice and heavy-duty, as much as I need it to be.

Bought 2nd hand, a little (1.5T?) item, about the size of the Lidl one shown above, for £3 on Gumtree, cheap 'cos it had no handle but no problem as I'd kept the handle when I dumped the Halfords jack! This one is for throwing in the boot if I need to, works just fine. 

I have Two of the big red 3ton Arcan ones from Costco when they was sub £70, they are around £95 now I think. A big pair of matching jacks is very handy but the weight of them can be a hindrance.

So i then bought the arcan half steel half aly one from Costco after about 20 times of lifting the heavy steel jacks in and out of the car and denting the floor plan of my Suzuki!

I spotted a new but returned trolley jack on eBay with a minute or so left to go, slung a £21bid on and won!

Apparently it was returned as half the jack handle is missing, It’s a “Hawk tools” 2.5t super low jack that goes up to 500mm or so. Over £100 on their website so hopefully won’t be too crappy. There isn’t too much info on Hawk tools online so of course it could be absolutely shite, but for £21 I’m willing to risk it.

I like the jack pad, do I need to buy that separately? 

I recently bought a pair of pucks for my trolley jack (inherited from my dad, must be at the very leas thirty years old and still OK but shoddy)

The ones from SGS came up at £500 each!

Presumably a mistake or they were out off stock and it was to deter orders without ditching the inventory listing.

"Out Of Stock" would have been more sensible as anyone seeing that price is never going to go there again.

I got mine from Taiwan, two for a fiver.

ED:  Just been for a look at the jack and the label is too scuffed to read.  It's a blue one :)

Edited by myglaren

post-7547-0-99492700-1546516255_thumb.jpg

Since I am an enthusiast of going up and down I will share another item from my arsenal of crappy lifting devices. It's a clumsy great cunt of a thing, a Clark 2 ton strongarm. All it does well is go up a long way, and I've perched the lovely 5" high screw jack on top to give an idea what we're talking fully erect. Otherwise it's a complete twat to have around as its always in the way and needs a tractor to manoevre into place. The little jack has 15 cwt cast into it's body, so it's not suitable at all for lifting foreign muck.

I spotted a new but returned trolley jack on eBay with a minute or so left to go, slung a £21bid on and won!

Apparently it was returned as half the jack handle is missing, It’s a “Hawk tools” 2.5t super low jack that goes up to 500mm or so. Over £100 on their website so hopefully won’t be too crappy. There isn’t too much info on Hawk tools online so of course it could be absolutely shite, but for £21 I’m willing to risk it.

Let me know if it's any good, was going to buy one of these but plumped for another make and ended up returning it

Went and picked this up today. What a beast, it’s huge! As advertised, missing half the handle and returned to the supplier. As you can see, it can lift an 8 Yr old child with ease, so it’s already ahead of the game regarding lifting stuff compared to my old weedy jack. I’m sure I’ve got something that can be adapted to replace the missing section of handle. Can’t wait to give it a proper rest!

Nearly forgot, it’s a 3 ton rather than a 2.5.

post-388-0-70497700-1546629354_thumb.jpeg

post-388-0-13323500-1546629368_thumb.jpeg

As a slight aside, as I mentioned my lovely Arcan jack earlier I was much disappointed to have lost the top half of the handle about a year ago and have, with difficulty, made do with the bottom bit. I assumed it had gone to the scrappy with one of the 5 cars I stripped last year and had no luck trying to find the manufacturer to get a replacement. 

I was round at my brothers changing an alternator today and had a very tight bolt,  I asked if he had a metal bar I could use, "yeah no problem here's one you left here last year"  :shock:  :-D   I didn't know whether to kiss him or twat him 

Today was the first time I used this thing in anger, fitting an XC90 brake upgrade to the back ofmy V70. It was interesting to see how It dealt with an actual vehicle as opposed to small humans but it performed brilliantly. Lifted the back of the Volvo sky high, no signs of stress or twisting, a few short pumps and it was in the air. Fantastic! This is my first “proper” jack so I’ve only got Halfords specials to compare it with but so far so good. I guess time will tell how well it performs with regular use.

post-388-0-85487800-1546706534_thumb.jpeg

post-388-0-60937300-1546706550_thumb.jpeg

I also have a 3 ton jack. I have no idea what make it is but it looks very similar to the SGS one.

I bought because I had a couple of smaller jacks which broke where the metal presses on the piston as the handle is moved up and down, it seems a weak spot.

The 3 ton one don't seem to sufffer from this.

The only problem is that I think is really too heavy to move out of the garage or to put in the boot of a car etc.

In the end I ended up buying a Halfords 2 ton jack (in a nice plastic case) as well for that purpose.  Yes one day I guess it will break but as I mostly use the 3 ton one and keep the 2 ton one for portable use it should last a bit longer.

I am interested in getting something that can go straight up and down rather than lifting in an arc.  I am thinking 12V electric scissor jack?  Are they actually useful?