What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

9 hours ago, cobblers said:

Balquhidder / Loch lomond ish, I just went for a random mission. Going to try Comrie Croft or maybe go up to Fort William on 27th to some proper trails rather than just veering off up some logging trails.

If you haven't already then download the Trailforks app, you're spoiled for choice where you are.

I'd recommend Glassie Bike Park over by Aberfeldy, I love the trails there.

On 22/12/2023 at 09:42, LightBulbFun said:

Credit where credit is due, and colour me impressed, parcel force was not fucking around!

image.thumb.png.fa80804124de209fc9d463b026681e3e.png

this is a case of 25 4ft T10 fluorescent tubes I bought from Japan back in October and had shipped by slow boat to keep the costs down, they only finally landed in the UK/Got off the boat yesterday, and here they are today already in me house!

image.png.e53ac4cc6012a2e167cef27205064fd2.png

its nice to have something that really is like a Christmas day gift almost, and finally concludes my lightbulb tat account for the year :) 

Further Grin, I got the parcel unpackaged, and so far so good! the tubes/case is as described, and nothing is physically broken, I have not pulled out/tested every tube yet, but theres no broken glass sounds etc when I rotate/move the case 

IMG_4803.thumb.jpeg.b11966f03c6cdda0bebd23a5c7ebe533.jpeg

I did get one tube out and tested it, and it works good! tis indeed quite an interesting colour, 1 down 24 to go LOL, 

IMG_0164.thumb.jpeg.1a8aedd96ee2ecfa9cf73aea764f5fad.jpeg

I imported these as they have a colour temperature of 5000K which is not really a colour you got in tube form here in the UK, but also because they have a colour rendering index (ie how well colours show up under their light) of 99! the highest possible number there is 100, and is what you get with a Tungsten light source or other blackbody radiator, like the sun

so yeah this is a stupidly high CRI for a fluorescent tube, normal ones historically are around 50-60 CRI, higher end and modern ones are 80's, highest end ones are low 90,s so 99 is quite impressive!

ill have to dig out some of my other high end fluorescent tubes for a direct comparison :) you will probably find that post on my own thread, so I dont clutter up this one with tube ramblings LOL

8 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Some rite good answers to Blackpool tower fire ....

We didn't start the fire

It was orange netting that the rain's been wetting

We didn't start the fire

But the wind has caught it, so the press report it

I believe some of the local rags sent reporters to the scene.

FFS....

On 25/12/2023 at 22:30, hairnet said:

so having saw the news thing but not having heard the way she says it

its microwahvay innit?

not like she needs the publicity is it?

My 14 year old niece loves it when I call it the microwaaavay. Nigella was naming it thus, at least one year ago.

On the subject of pronunciation, football commentators and foreign players names can be both annoying and amusing.

The most obvious one is Jesus. Can’t pronounce it “JEE-ZUS” like we all do. Some try to be correct in Spanish ( or Portuguese) and try “HAY-SUSS” or “HAY-ZEUS”, others a hybrid version “JAY-ZEUS “. Since when was Jesus Spanish anyway? Any Hebrew scholars want to give us a definitive pronunciation?

I can just imagine Arsenal players giving Gabriel Jesus a bollocking  for a bad miss or whatever, “Jesus Christ HAY-ZEUS! WTF was that?”

I suppose it’s marginally better than the 70s when they didn’t even bother about foreign pronunciation at all. I remember Brian Clough referring to Johan Cruyff as Joanne Crufts during the 1974 World Cup .

Spotted CND out in the rain taking photos of abandoned car, but with the headlights on.

By jove he's cracked it! Nobody has been interested in the three months it's been for sale because they was worried the headlights don't work! Nothing to do with its a barried piece of shit 3k over priced.

Maybe I should help* him by duplicating his advert with offers over £500 for cash tonight. That should get his phone ringing.

5 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Spotted CND out in the rain taking photos of abandoned car, but with the headlights on.

By jove he's cracked it! Nobody has been interested in the three months it's been for sale because they was worried the headlights don't work! Nothing to do with its a barried piece of shit 3k over priced.

Maybe I should help* him by duplicating his advert with offers over £500 for cash tonight. That should get his phone ringing.

I read that as 'Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament' 

Showing my age

On 29/12/2023 at 00:27, Metal Guru said:

On the subject of pronunciation, football commentators and foreign players names can be both annoying and amusing.

The most obvious one is Jesus. Can’t pronounce it “JEE-ZUS” like we all do. Some try to be correct in Spanish ( or Portuguese) and try “HAY-SUSS” or “HAY-ZEUS”, others a hybrid version “JAY-ZEUS “. Since when was Jesus Spanish anyway? Any Hebrew scholars want to give us a definitive pronunciation?